Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27

Default When it comes to buying rods

What are we told to do over & over again? Cast the rod first if you can. Good advice. And if you can, try different rods in the same configuration and weight just so you know what you're getting into and can make that final decision.

Ok, what is this rod going to be used for? For example: you want a rod for medium sized rivers with average sized trout, so you think an 8'6" 4wt or a 9' 4wt would do the trick. O.k., good choice. So you head out to your local fly shop and you try five or six different 4 weight rods with different actions so you can choose what your preference is.

O.k., now you put them back on the rack and walk away.

If you turn around and look specifically at one of the rods you tested as you are walking away, you buy that rod. You're looking at it because it said something to you. Kind of like looking back at that pretty girl you were just talking to as you walk away, or when you look at that new car or motorcycle after test driving it. You just know.

But unlike those pretty girls, a fly rod won't change it's mind about us in a couple of days, ha ha!
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

2. Likes spm, omas, mcnerney, dennyk, hairwing530, trs liked this post

Default Re: When it comes to buying rods

Quote Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
    .... But unlike those pretty girls, a fly rod won't change it's mind about us in a couple of days, ha ha!
    True, Scotty, but I think it wise to take your own reel and line to the shop for the test or you may just find your date has put a bit of weight on since you last met and the action has changed for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    True, Scotty, but I think it wise to take your own reel and line to the shop for the test or you may just find your date has put a bit of weight on since you last met and the action has changed for the worse.
    Oh, so you have experienced this before, eh? LOL,
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

5. Likes Lewis Chessman, mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

The fly rod doesn't need regular scheduled maintenance , no excise tax or insurance and it won't get pissed if you forget it's birthday either. It also doesn't say sh*t if you fondle another fly rod and in my State it is o.k to have more than one........

"O.k., now you put them back on the rack and walk away."

A left-out component of this intelligent process is the actual buying of the rod. If one goes and cast several rods at a shop does one buy the "winner" there or go on-line and seek a better price? Since an authorized dealer may be precluded form discounting he may still be willing to include a new fly line at no extra charge...fly shops operate on pretty slim margins and we must support them.

You can also attend vendor days where several different Flyrod reps are present to let u cast rods with different lines. That is a pretty good way to make a choice. It does not tell u how well it casts the type of rigs u usually throw, how it loads on the water, or how it handles with a fish on.
    U can still get a pretty good impression on how it matches ur casting style.
    I have purchased several new rods from my local dealers but also internet shopped for Closeouts. Once my dealer matched the Closeout price which was very nice.
    I do support the dealers by purchasing lines n fly tying supplies. Once in awhile clothing.

9. Thanks scotty macfly thanked for this post
    Likes brownbass liked this post

I’m going to have to disagree.

Casting rods in a parking lot, on grass or even on a pond only tells me how a particular rod casts a particular line on pavement, grass or still water.

The only way I can know a rod is to fish it, and to fish it hard in different conditions.

You don’t test drive a Porsche or a Jeep in the dealership parking lot. You take it out on the road or on the trail.

Buy a rod you think you’ll like and go fish it. Borrow demos and go fish them. Ask to fish friend’s or even acquaintances’ rods. It’s the only way.