2wt line on a 3wt reel

axle27

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 2wt. Nothing expensive, just something to make the 'gill fishing a bit more fun than the 4wt I have.

I was wondering if there would be any problems using 2wt/backing on a reel that is rated 3/4wt. I already have the reel, again not an expensive one.

Anything rated for 0 thru 2 wt in reels is pretty expensive.

jose

Reaction score
I agree with Frank, but fishing a 2 wt line with a 3/4 rod won't be the same as fishing a 2 wt rod. I would do it by all means- why not? It's just that my 2 wt and my 3/4 weight are very different for me, aside from the fact that they are from different manufactures. If you can come by a 2 wt that you like at a good price, I would encourage you to get one- depending on if you plan to really use it. I use my 2 wt a lot on small water and in small ponds- and it's a blast. I actually try to go for bass with it from time to time just for the hell of it, just to see how well I can play them on that rod.

By the way, I use an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I Reel with my 2 wt and it's a great match. I got lucky and picked up my battenkills when they were offering the free spool with the reel, but I think that reel is worth the $89 anyway.

Just my $.02

jose

Reaction score
Er...Um..Oops! I just re-read the post and realized you were talking backing and are already planning to get a 2 wt. Sorry about that one.

Enjoy the fishing.

mojo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 2wt. Nothing expensive, just something to make the 'gill fishing a bit more fun than the 4wt I have.

I was wondering if there would be any problems using 2wt/backing on a reel that is rated 3/4wt. I already have the reel, again not an expensive one.

Anything rated for 0 thru 2 wt in reels is pretty expensive.
Sorry. You can't do it.
It's against the law in most states.
If you go to the Fly Fisherman's Regulations Handbook- Section A97.1-1978.1, paragraph (i) you'll see you can't do it.
"Manufactures of fly reels prohibit any fisherpersons or agents of, to install or use a flyline other than the designated weight fly line on a reel other than what is indicated by the manufacturer of said fly reel."
The intended purpose of a fly reel is to install proper flyline with the correct grain weight as to properly load the rod with the correct balanced said flyreel and safely bring about the piscortorial pursuit.

Sorry. If you don't believe me Google it up. It's there is black and white.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
:icon_razzJust kidding. Go ahead and use it.

axle27

Reaction score
Sorry. You can't do it.
It's against the law in most states.
If you go to the Fly Fisherman's Regulations Handbook- Section A97.1-1978.1, paragraph (i) you'll see you can't do it.
"Manufactures of fly reels prohibit any fisherpersons or agents of, to install or use a flyline other than the designated weight fly line on a reel other than what is indicated by the manufacturer of said fly reel."
The intended purpose of a fly reel is to install proper flyline with the correct grain weight as to properly load the rod with the correct balanced said flyreel and safely bring about the piscortorial pursuit.

Sorry. If you don't believe me Google it up. It's there is black and white.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
:icon_razzJust kidding. Go ahead and use it.
Some rules are just meant to be broken, I guess. Ask any congressman....

afishinado

Reaction score
I use the rod weight designations for reels as a guideline. The thing I look for in selecting a reel size is that the reel should have adequate room to hold the fly line and a decent amount of backing, AND balance the rod at or near the point where you hold the grip. Balance is important not so much during the cast, but for holding the rod while fishing. Remember, you’re holding the rod 90% of the time and casting only 10% of the time. Nothing is more uncomfortable than using an unbalanced rod all day. Neither a rod that is tip-heavy nor butt-heavy is fun to fish with. When fishing, if you constantly find yourself moving your hand back to the reel seat or up above the grip, chances are your rod is out of balance.

One thing to consider is that a 4wt 7’rod needs less weight to balance than a 4 wt 9’ rod. Also, many rods of the same weight classification don’t weight the same or have same distribution of weight. There is a wide range of reel sizes and weights that vary from each model and reel manufacturer. Find one that holds enough line and backing AND balances out your rod. You’ll be glad you did. Good luck.