Summer ends with a Bang

rfong

Reaction score
I have spend most of the summer on the Big Hole River in Montana fishing every day. This year there was a brief heat wave, a steady smoke out from the California fires and as usual, great fishing.

The Home Riffle Hole right in front of the house ran through the cycles of the river with high water, slowly decreasing in flow everyday. The insect hatches bloomed on a predictable time clock and now in late summer, the Trico hatch offers some of the best fishing of the year.

Now the water flow is wading friendly and I can forge across the river in almost every run. I do use a wading staff as those watermelon size rocks are nature’s hazards for a cold plunge.

This morning the Tricos were late in making their appearance. Normally they start flying at 10am, but I walked down to the river and the air was clear with no winds and blue skies, but no Tricos?

I wading out to my strategic command center, an exposed rock right in the middle of the river. From there I can cast 360 degrees in every direction. I’ve fished this honey hole so many years, I’ve grided out every section of the river and know the distances to the banks. It is 70 feet to either bank, 150 feet across the entire river and the hole is 250 feet long. This is important data as you shall see later on.

Today, the Tricos did not appear until 11am, but then it snowed Tricos. It was a blizzard of tiny fuzzy flying bugs. Within 10 minutes the fish sensed the activity and they too became active.

Snouts, splashes, and leaps erupted like popcorn all around me. The majority of the rises were at the tail of the run, so I shifted my position and waded down from my command rock about 50 feet.

There were Whitefish mixed among the trout but as my friend’s bumper sticker says, “Whitefish Matter.” I hooked some tremendous size Whtiefish that put up a good fight. I also landed some decent Rainbows and Browns while fishing downstream toward the tail out of the run.

But then I heard a toilet flush in back of me, upstream of me. I turned in time to see the tsunami wave of a huge fish. It was right behind my command rock, an area I rarely fish because I’m standing there.

All this time I was using an Emerger and a Spent Wing Trico catching fish on both flies.

I cast the 50 feet back upstream to the rock and then the water erupted. I could see the huge fish zip underwater at blinding speed to the right bank, then upstream to the head of the riffle. He continued across the entire river, then came downstream past my position and down to the tail out of the pool. Then he zig zagged back and forth until he came to my net.

A heavy 21” Rainbow that put up a worthy fight equal to any Bonefish that I have caught.

I documented the path of his fight to calculate just how far this fish took me before landing it. 70 feet across, 50 feet up river, 70 feet to left bank, 150 feet down to the tail out and 200 feet back to me and the net. A total of 540 feet of fight!

This was truly a healthy specimen of a Rainbow. We had a long talk while he rested in my net, then I sent him back to fight another day.

What a wonderful way to say goodbye to another great summer in Montana.Self - 1 (9).jpg

deanb10s

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story. I'll be fishing the Big Hole in 3 weeks... sounds like I better stock up on Tricos. Any particular size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Awesome story man. Hoping the weather cools down a bit here so I can get out and wet some lines.

rfong

Reaction score
Deanb10s,
In 3 weeks the Tricos will be winding down but here's what will be happening....

Fall – September 1st - November 1st
Many anglers think that the fall season on the Big Hole is the best season of them all. Summer crowds have left our Southwest Montana Rivers and the cool crisp mornings with colorful foliage on the trees makes fall a wonder time to be on the Big Hole. Hatches definitely do start to wind down in the fall, but by no means does the fishing slow down. You can find some hoppers and Tricos still kicking around, but our main hatch of the fall season is the Blue Winged Olive. We enjoy floating from Glen to Notch on the lower Big Hole where you will find excellent Blue Winged Olive hatches in late September and into October.
The fall is also a great time to throw streamers on the Big Hole. The brown trout are getting ready to spawn and become very territorial, making streamer fishing a very successful tactic during this time of year. Maiden Rock to Salmonfly stretch always produces nice brown trout on streamers in the fall.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'll be fishing the Big Hole in 3 weeks... sounds like I better stock up on Tricos. Any particular size?

deanb10s

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. One of the guys coming with me is a streamer fanatic... he'll love this report. Can't wait to enjoy your beautiful country. Dean