newbe fishing in Mammoth Lakes California

RandyC

Reaction score
Renewed my interest in Fly fishing this summer. With my two 20 something sons, we took a guided trip day in Jackson Hole. It was a ball, both boys loved it. Want to go again.
My equipment was geared to backpacking, so we all got some good packaged rod/reel sets. Advice on the forum was very helpful, as was local store and Bass outlet. Good starter set that should last us a while.
We have planned a couple of days in Mammoth area over Labor Day weekend. I haven't been there in many, many years. And, then fishing was done on backpacking trip.
Some general advice on that area would be appreciated, especially with it being late in the season.
Good streams for novices, etc. I don't want to know your secret spot, just some good areas would be helpful. I have some minor limitations with my back, so hiking is OK, just not any major up/down hills. We dont have waders, and would prefer streams to lakes.
PM if you wish, I was told that many don't want to put locations on these boards

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or guidance!

Randy

satyr

Reaction score
For ease of access while still delivering some fish to the net it is hard to beat Rock Creek near the end of the road. Just be ready to share the water some and please put the fish back unharmed. There are also a few lakes that fish reasonably well up there.

tomsakai

Reaction score
Actually, the Mammoth area has been so well publicized that talking about general locations is fine. Some of the areas have barbless hook requirements (Hot Creek, Owens River above Benton Crossing Bridge, East Walker) so make sure to pinch the barbs on your hooks (expensive fine if you're caught). San Joaquin River is pretty scenery; not sure how well it's fishing and you have to take a shuttle bus to go there after 7:00. But, it's one of the more accessible rivers in terms of not having to get wet. The Trout Fly/Troutfitter is the big fly shop in Mammoth. They post weekly reports online, not sure if it's permissible to post a link here but Google them and you will readily find their site.

BTW, the weather is warm enough that you shouldn't need waders but if you have water resistant boots, that will help.