He said fishing season is almost over.

IdaAlan

Reaction score
A few days ago I visited the closest sports shop for a handful of Sheep Crick Specials. None available, I asked when the flies are going to be restocked, the manager said not till spring, fishing season is almost over. I hope I didn't look at him like he was as stupid, as I thought he was.
Here in Idaho with irrigation water slowing to soon turn off in a month. The best of fishing is about to start. The places I’m soon to head to have the big Rainbows, and bigger Browns, we are talking about 8, 10 pounders.
I remember as a kid in Connecticut, end of September, beginning of October, heading to the mouth of the Black Hall River on the Connecticut river on a outgoing tide. Blues and Stripers filling up before heading south, surfcasting joy. My bucket list has me trying a few on a flyrod.
Who else finds the season far from over?

DonW

Reaction score
Been so hot and dry here fishing is just picking back up, but pretty sure the local fish shop is closed for the season already. Can't blame him though as we are in the heart of the summer lake cabins, thankfully peace and quiet have returned to out lake.

brownbass

Reaction score
.We fish year around in Missouri. The best can bee in the fall and winter when the kids are back in school and the summertime fishers hang up their rods.

Bill

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Keep in mind that "fishing season" to retailers means when they'll make the most sales. Right now shops are likely looking at hunting or other outdoor activities for the bulk of their sales. So, restocking flies is not where they'll be investing. It's like going into the big box stores & seeing Christmas decorations this time of year, that's their sales priority. IMO, they lose sales by doing this, but just the way it is with some retailers as they budget their money, and folks who are still fishing are no longer their priority. .

We can fish most of the year here, but many places have already turned their sales interest to hunting, because there's many who hunt here.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
A lot of the places around here shut down at the end of October but you better believe I'm going to be fishing as much as I can until then. I'm just waiting a little bit longer until the water cools off and hoping I hook up on some nice fall color trout.

el jefe

Reaction score
In the West--and I'm pretty sure that's where Idaho is--fishing is never over. I can see why a fly shop might not tie up dollars in inventory they think will sit in bins over the winter, gathering dust. But it's not over 'til we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

dennyk

Reaction score
Fishing season is never over for me. I especially like the winter when mine are the only footprints in the snow.

Denny

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
I am not sure where in Idaho you are at, but in my "Idaho Experience" winter fishing is the most relaxing, and enjoyable of the entire season. I love the quiet, the emptiness, lack of crowds. Doesn't hurt that the fish are actively rising all winter on Midges, so fly selection is limited. I look forward to the first frost, and the hunting season,...when the ethereal waters become mine, without the crowds and the hassle. Truly a magnificent time of year!

JTH

satyr

Reaction score
Fall is THE best season in most of California. The browns come out to play and the weather is cooling down and the world is turning colors. It is my favorite time to fish.

Bigfly

Reaction score
You also have to remember that they order the flies the season before they stock them.
It's not like they could just call the company and get a bunch more.......If they do it right, there isn't any flies left to sell after Labor day.....Serious fishers are just rolling out then, but 7/8 of fishers are done.
What I hate, is when they stock patterns for old time fishers, and run out of current patterns.
I know this is heretical, but there it is.......I want fresh......so do the fish.
I know, I know, old guys like their flies classic.....But I have tested extensively and they don't get the job done.
But the store wants money from everybody, young and old.
My approach is to tie or buy, before I need the flies.
Getting a season ahead works for me.

Jim

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I remember as a kid in Connecticut, end of September, beginning of October, heading to the mouth of the Black Hall River on the Connecticut river on a outgoing tide. Blues and Stripers filling up before heading south, surfcasting joy. My bucket list has me trying a few on a flyrod.
That's still a great spot
Put the kayak in at Smith Neck and fish every little indent in the lower Black Hall and all around Great Island
Bass and bluefish blasting bait pods everywhere you look

IMGP0016.jpg

karstopo

Reaction score
Fishing seasons seem very weird to me. I get the concept of a fishing season if the biology of the particular species of fish demands one. But that’s not really the case for lots of different kinds of fish in lots of places. Seems like fishing seasons mostly revolve around people’s schedules and comfort being outdoors and have very little to do with the nature of the fish.

I like the parts of the year that isn’t summer with all the dabblers and part timers off doing something else besides fishing. Fall here means about half the state relocates to another part of the state to sit in a small box and stare through tiny windows at animals feeding under a shelled corn dispenser. Those “hunters” are missing out on some great fall fishing. Winter means people stay off the water for fear of getting cold which is mostly ridiculous considering where I live. Spring means they are trying to assemble all their fishing gear and get their balky boats to work after sitting up too long. Summer means they finally get their act together and then complain about all the other people on the water. That, in a nutshell, is the fishing seasons around here.

Bigfly

Reaction score
If you really fish....there are no seasons, just different sticks for the job....
It's almost swinging season for example.

Jim

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
A few days ago I visited the closest sports shop for a handful of Sheep Crick Specials. None available, I asked when the flies are going to be restocked, the manager said not till spring, fishing season is almost over. I hope I didn't look at him like he was as stupid, as I thought he was.
Here in Idaho with irrigation water slowing to soon turn off in a month. The best of fishing is about to start. The places I’m soon to head to have the big Rainbows, and bigger Browns, we are talking about 8, 10 pounders.
Who else finds the season far from over?
I agree, we are just now getting into some of the best fly fishing of the season, but i understand the reasoning the retailers are wanting to liquidate their fly stock, not buy more this late in the year.
Sent you a pm.

duker

Reaction score
Season's over, eh? For me, the thick of the season is just starting. This Sunday I'll drive over to SE Alaska for 2+ weeks of coho fishing, then down to BC for another couple weeks of steelhead fishing. This is really my season, and the trip I'll never miss. And, depending on where my wife wants to take a holiday this winter, I might get in some saltwater fishing as well.

I wonder about the notion of a fishing "season"--there are always fish somewhere, pretty much every time of the year. You just gotta find them.

Scott

IdaAlan

Reaction score
Well it seems this post did better than I thought it would. I unfortunately had to attend to issues beyond my control. Ah well I'm back, and a canal in my area is about to shut down and becomes fishable for big (8+ pound) browns. Here is a freebie for anyone visiting the Burley area in Idaho. I helped build Milner dam, when they slow the first spillway it's fishing time, lots of big Rainbows. Then you can free laugh at the handicapped fishing area they had us build.