Itchy bug bites - what antidote??

yikes

Reaction score
I've been using Sting Eze for the inevitable mosquito bites I get when fishing, and it's generally effective. Problem is, it has a soft, almost "roll-on" applicator that leaks with altitude changes (plane flights, high trailheads etc.), making a mess. Does anyone have an alternate brand recommendation that may just be a squeeze tube of something that withstands pressure changes?

ryc72

Reaction score
Maybe look for another product with the active ingredient benzocaine that is in a tube or some other application? Or a tube of hydrocortisone cream like cortizone?

silver creek

Reaction score
I use Picaridin to repel insects. I use the Repel brand that is the maximum 15% concentration. It is called Tick Defense but it is really a non greasy very effective mosquito repellent.

Last edited:

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Note: I haven't tried this 'hack' yet, so YMMV.

The use of concentrated heat after insect bites/stings as an alternative to reduce swelling, pain, and pruritus: an open cohort-study at German beaches and bathing-lakes

How to Stop a Mosquito Bite from Itching Using a Spoon: 4 Steps

I've tried a lot of different balms/ointments/whatever for insect bites. Hydrocortizone works well. Overall though, I like aloe vera gel with lidocaine. For me, it seems to reduce itchiness quicker and longer than most other things I've tried. My next trip I might try the hot spoon trick before applying the aloe vera, just to see how that works.

duker

Reaction score
Up here in Canada we have this stuff called AfterBite--it comes in both liquid and gel. The liquid is ammonia-based--you can smell it--but it works fairly well. The gel is obviously easier to use.

I've used cortisone cream on black fly and horse fly bites to good effect. After living up here in the Mosquito Zone for the past 27+ years I think I've built up an immunity to mosquito bites and rarely even notice them any more.

I think Rip's post was made in jest, but out of curiosity I've dipped my finger in my whiskey and applied that to bug bites--it does work, sort of. Should be followed with an oral dose, however.

Scott

marty mcfly

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just too cheap to buy it, or its perhaps the hidden hippie in me that does not like to take any medication unless absolutely necessary, but I find scratching to be a very effective way to address the itch of mosquito bites.:p

yikes

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just too cheap to buy it, or its perhaps the hidden hippie in me that does not like to take any medication unless absolutely necessary, but I find scratching to be a very effective way to address the itch of mosquito bites.:p
McFly, I used to scratch them raw, then pour rubbing alcohol on them so that the sting canceled out the itch. That can't be any healthier than a little antihistamine.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I carry a small tin of Tiger Balm. For those who might not know, it's a camphor and menthol balm, and for me works great. The tin I use is smaller than a bottle cap, and it lasts a season. My itch goes away in a couple of minutes after applying it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Unless I missed it via a link no one mentioned Hydrocortisone cream. I keep a tube of this in my first aid box inside the boat. I've used it myself for the worst offenders and believe it works. Just ask the pharmacist to direct you to it, the product is available without prescription.

darkshadow

Reaction score
After vacationing in the Yucatan for 15 summers straight as a kid, I've found that scratching is best effective mechanism, especially when a Coca Cola bottle cap is used.

But, back in the day, Caladryl usually worked well, altho it looked like I had poured Peptobismol all over my arms and legs. Luckily, they make a clear version now and it's OTC.

When the itchiness comes from falling into a poison oak patch, I used Benadryl topical, and it comes in various flavors, from straight gel, to a 'stick' like device.

bumble54

Reaction score
Ahh, now, my subject, had blood poisoning several times with insect bites, swellings the size of half a tennis ball. The only thing that worked for me was Fucibet cream applied as soon as possible to the bite but, it is only available on prescription here in the UK and getting to see a doctor on the NHS is like searching for a Sasquatch (pointless), so I usually end up in A&E at the hospital.
My latest remedy, and it works for me is Hydrocortisone cream and hemp cream mixed, no idea why it works but it does the trick for me.

trs

Reaction score
This may sound a bit strange but the fresh leaves of the 5 fingered sassafrass rubbed on the bites are the best remedy. Normally the sassafrass leaf has three fingers (lobes) but deep in the Atchafalaya grows the five-fingered sassafras, the leaves also make the best gumbo file.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
How to Stop a Mosquito Bite from Itching Using a Spoon: 4 Steps

FYI: Tried it tonight. It works. Hot spoon applied to itchy bite for about 45 seconds. No more itch.

Sidenote: I don't know about anyone else, but mosquito bites for me usually produce a small-to-medium size reddish bump. The hot spoon trick reduced the size of the bump significantly in just a few minutes after application. Kind of impressive really.

Last edited: