Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Default License Scams-BEWARE!

I was doing some research on Montana fishing regulations. Headed there next week. Came across a story from the state gov't site about an 87 year old MT resident who was in need of a license (not sure why. didn't really look in to age regulations for MT but most states exempt folks over ages 65 - 70 depending on state. unless he's just a noble patron who is dedicated to contributing to the state fishery funds. hats off to him if he is, need more folks like that.) Anyway, back to point. Story says he traditionally bought his license at a local state office. Unfortunately it was a weekend and the office was closed. So, he went online to buy one. Typed in fishing license MT and clicked on the first thing that popped up. Wasn't the official state gov site. The site said "fishinglicense.org" I've come across these multiple times purchasing online licenses. The *.org is usually the first flag to look for. With the exception of just a few, most state gov't website end in *.gov. Anyway, the guy selected his license and was charged $25 and received nothing and ended up having to cancel his credit card.

When looking to purchase online make sure you go straight to the state gov't site and search either "(state abbreviation) game and fish" or "(state abbreviation) wildlife and parks". This will direct you to where you need to go on their site. Now, having said that, lots of states have gone to 3rd party licensing. But, the correct website direct link will be provided on the state gov't site. Always use this first. You can save to favorites or, in a lot of cases now they have apps they will link you also for your smartphones or tablets. The bogus sites are pretty easy to spot once you've clicked on them.

So, in a nutshell, never use a search engine (google, bing, yahoo, etc.) to find a website for license purchases. Only use them to find the state gov't sites and use only their links. Also make sure you carefully read the licensing regulations for online purchases. Some states will allow you to download and use a copy on your smart device. Some require you to print out a hard copy and sign. Some actually give you the option of one or the other. And some allow you to use your online receipt as a temporary license until your hard copy is mailed to you. Some small details that could make or break a "fun" day on the water.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

2. Thanks trs thanked for this post

Default Re: License Scams-BEWARE!

I will underscore: this is a big deal. I got sucked into one of these scams helping a friend get a MT license. Fortunately i caught it before i provided any personal info / credit card.

4. Likes kevind62, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Geesh, these low life are popping up everywhere!

Kevin: No need to worry about buying a Montana fishing license, just send the money to me and I will take care if it for you. LOL!
    Larry

6. Likes kevind62 liked this post

The site says it's $84 for a 10 day non-res license. Did you want me to mail the check to your house or your PO box?

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Geesh, these low life are popping up everywhere!

Kevin: No need to worry about buying a Montana fishing license, just send the money to me and I will take care if it for you. LOL!
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post