Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: When things go wrong

Wow! Most of us could not match all that in multiple years, let alone one day ... and i am thrilled to say that!. Pretty sure i know the place. Yeehaw as you say. Go get em next time.

And thanks for taking the time to tell your story.

WOW!!! Glad you survived it, I can't believe no one has asked this yet. What brand of boat was it?, and have you sent them the story?
    there's a reason they call it fishing, not catching

3. Default Re: When things go wrong

Quick Follow up as I have fallen behind updating this, work has been busy!

Here are a couple of the pics:

Here is the view from the top of the Canyon, you can see the "slide" we went down.

This picture makes it look like it was all sunshine and flowers, this was about a 10-15 min break we had in weather, and for a short time thought maybe we would get good weather... NOT! And, also a good pic of the boat we use for our adventures.

Another shot, facing the down river when the sun was out.

Pic of a Cutty, at least we caught fish...

A nice Cut-bow - Cool Colors!

And, after god said "ENOUGH!" and we made it to the end. Cold, tired, wet, but alive. The second time we saw the sun for the day.

4. Likes ejsell, littledavid123 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Good to see the place, wow!

You'd probably enjoy fishing with me because I have been a member of the she-it happens club myself for over 50 years. Even with that kind of seniority things happen. But remember, PFD's and extra chargers if you are going somewhere like that bud.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes ejsell liked this post
  7. Default Re: When things go wrong

Yes, Ard I am positive we could have a great time together with the way adventure seems to find us. I have been obsessing over AK the last couple of weeks and will eventually make it there to fish. I was there a couple of years ago skiing in Valdez and could not get over the SIZE of everything in AK, it is just massive.

I am embarrassed to say, one of the last items we retrieved from the river after getting back into the boat was, my life jacket. I haven't even told my wife about that detail, she would be pissed! We always take our life jackets, but we were in and out of the boat so much wading and stuff I kind of just left it off, and when we got to a spot where we needed them, it was to late, we were committed to a line and didn't have time to put them on, STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! I am seriously looking at a canister style per your recommendation...

8. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm not saying that the self inflating types are best but they tend to be less restrictive and people will wear them. They can be a pain taking them off and putting them on every time you move but I try to do it.

I was in a canoe way back in the 80's in very high water conditions on a large creek. In Pennsylvania there are creeks the size of many rivers because the 'River' is huge so they call everything else a creek.

My long time fishing buddy was with me and it was early April. We went through a set of what we called Hay Stacks which were giant swells created by large boulders that were well under water. We were not fishing, this was all about running the water from Marsh Hill down to Hepburnville on Rt. 15.

We swamped on the second swell, it just washed over the bow and filled the boat. It slowly just sank from under us as we paddled. Cold, oh yeah very cold water with snow still lining the banks with shelf ice.

About an hour later just after passing Hagerman's Run the wind came so hard up stream that we couldn't paddle hard enough to move down stream and remember, it was high water. We were wet and cold and that wind was ferocious and as if it couldn't be worse it was driving that snow that is like uncooked Grits hard into our faces.

We found a burn barrel where someone was burning trash down in Trout Run and paddled to shore and clamored up the bank to get warmed around the fire. The homeowner spotted us and after hearing the tale of woe gave us hot coffee. We stayed a while then went on to where my vehicle had been shuttled to about another ten miles of creek or so...………

Things were getting better, we were close to the base of Hog Back Mountain and the wind was blocked to some extent and we didn't feel like we were hypothermic at that point but there was more to come. We came to a fork and choose left, plenty of water and going like a bat outta hell, this is good we'll get there sooner.

Then came the tree and not just any tree but a truly large Sycamore that had given up the fight as the roots were affected by erosion. No time to head to shore because we were fast so we picked a spot along the trunk that looked like enough clearance for us to get under...………. Almost, we were laid down flat in the canoe and as I remember almost clear when a branch pressed the left side gunwale down and snagged us for just a second. It flipped us over to the left and again we were swimming, Steve for shore and me for the bow line so I could swing the canoe back to shore for the second time that day.

From there to the take out we had no more trouble and the take out was only 3 1/2 miles from my house where there was a wood stove and a cloths drier for Steve's stuff. We were young and both strong swimmers, I was one of those people who took the life guard classes at the YMCA back in the day and Steve was rather a buoyant type who wanted to survive. We did not have any form of life vests with us at all...………… No cell phones because they didn't exist , no life vests and no common sense I'd have to say.

After the first swamping at the Hay Stacks (you had to be there to enjoy it) I had caught the bow line and side stroked into the huge back eddy below the swells. I had that rope clenched in my teeth as I swam and waded out then dragged the canoe onto exposed gravel. Steve was making it into the same eddy and as I stood there he found the bottom and began walking out of the water.

This is where it gets good, he was wearing a pair of gray sweat pants, sneakers and a burgundy Woolrich Gore-Tex Anorak. Gore-Tex was pretty new technology back then and hear he came. My buddies nick name was Lambchop because he was what we called fluffy, fluffy meant chubby I guess...……….. SO here he came slowly trudging out of the cold water and as he reached the point where his waist had cleared the water and kept coming forward those sweat pants filled up like a water balloon in the butt and as he trudged they slid down to his ankles.

There he stood in boxers shackled by those sweat pants and I said, "How's that Gore-Tex working buddy?"

I'll never forget the moment. He stood there arms akimbo staring at me then he dropped his gaze and spat. He looked back at me and said, "I hate you Stetts. Someday I'm gonna die doing s-hit like this with you because you're crazy." It was then that I said, "you still got that pint right?" He had a pint of brandy in the large cargo pocket in the jacket and we killed it and laughed about our bad luck not knowing how bad it would really get before the day ended.

He's still alive at age 66 and we fished together for 24 years even after that day. I could go on telling stories about leading that poor guy into some very difficult days in unforgiving terrain and the creeks and rivers between Northcentral Pennsylvania and Maine but I'll save them.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

10. Thanks trs thanked for this post
    Likes ejsell, dennyk, unknownflyman liked this post

Wow, thatís quite the (scary) adventure!
    ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12