Thanks Thanks:  87
Likes Likes:  324
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: Thinking of Fred Evans as I Post This;

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    I know what you mean. My mom and I had the same pattern in that same way. (Pittsburgh family also)

She started getting mini-strokes and then bigger ones at about my current age (73) and ended up in a home for three years not knowing any of us and turned into a complete stranger. So far I have had no sign of those particular problems, but who knows what is to come.

I wish you, and your mother of course, continued health. And you are not necessarily bound to whatever route your mom ends up with.

Good luck and keep your hope and expectations on the positive side.

Best wishes,

Don
    It may be of some little comfort to hear this.
    Mom has dementia, she could not recognise any of her children nor communicate, I looked after her for 20 years before she went into a care home, there she was confined to her room for over a year because of her violent outbursts and mental torments, she was a danger to herself and to others. I recently had a long talk with her new doctor about her worsening condition and we discussed a change of medication, she was reluctant to listen but, as I told her, I knew my mother better than anyone else in the world and finally she agreed to try something different.
    Mom is now calm and spends much of her time in the day room and can now hold a conversation, of sorts, she still doesn't know any of her family but everyone is amazed at the difference the new medication has made, mom is 93 this year.
    There is always hope even when all seems lost.
    Thinking of you Fred in our prayers.

2. Thanks busbus thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    I know what you mean. My mom and I had the same pattern in that same way. (Pittsburgh family also)

She started getting mini-strokes and then bigger ones at about my current age (73) and ended up in a home for three years not knowing any of us and turned into a complete stranger. So far I have had no sign of those particular problems, but who knows what is to come.

I wish you, and your mother of course, continued health. And you are not necessarily bound to whatever route your mom ends up with.

Good luck and keep your hope and expectations on the positive side.

Best wishes,

Don
    Thanks, Don.

Of course, it is not imminent that I will go down the exact same path as mom. I admit it is scary to think about but what shivers my spine more is seeing the subtle but very evident changes in her. I want to think that everything is age appropriate but, well, it isn’t.

That said, she will be 84 in a few months and I can only hope I live that long, right? I read last year that dementia patients respond wonderfully to the Amazon Echo and Google Home. For one thing, they can ask them something like, “What day is it?” 100,000 times a day and the unit won’t get upset. Ever. Trust me, when she asks me that 12 times in 20 minutes, there are days I don’t respond nicely. I also did some research and discovered that music really helps them, too. Music brings back memories of the time, place, and events of when you first heard the song and it helps bring the patient “back,” so to speak.

So I bought her one at Christmas. Took a while to get her to understand how to use it. She now listens to her music every day, all day long. There are no radio stations that play Frank Sinatra or Eddie Arnold or Charlie Rich in Pittsburgh but all she needs to do is say, “Alexa, play Dean Martin” and a Dean Martin song starts playing. It tickles her pink still. She asks what day it is constantly and I just taught her how to play 20 questions two weeks ago. She is actually a little calmer these days.

Sorry for the long response but I wanted to let you all know that there is something out there that can honestly help that costs very little but can help a lot.

ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” –Henry David Thoreau
    Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.” –Groucho Marx

That's a really good idea Ray. I hope it helps a lot of people.

I miss Fred too. I ribbed him sometimes because he posted in riddles that took a little effort to solve. I smiled when noobies would show up and sometimes be confused by his responses. You just had to be here awhile to understand all the experiences he was trying to share in just a few partial sentences. You could tell he was/is an interesting and intelligent man, and probably more important, charitable to others whenever he found an opportunity. We are all blessed that he was able to stay at home as long as he did, and share with us on a daily basis.

I miss hearing about his dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes busbus, mcnerney, corn fed fins liked this post

Any update on Fred?
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Best wishes to him.
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

Blog Entries

This thread has become another gift from Fred. Sharing experiences about loved ones and the hopes we cling to and the personal successes. Thanks, Fred, Thinking of you.

Bill

10. Thanks Bird thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Yesterday on Facebook I saw a post by Fred, so I responded and sure enough he replied. He said he was currently in a wheelchair and recently bought another two handed rod. Gotta love a guy like that.
    Larry

Fred is one of the most beloved men in the two hand game. We all wish "The Sultan of Spey" the best.

The Sandy River Spey Clave and the Theory of Evolution

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

13. Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

That's fantastic news. I was thinking about the old boy only yesterday. I don't use FB so, please, if you speak again tell Fred he's much missed and Merry Christmas!!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast