Thinking of Fred Evans as I Post This;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I try to stay up with our active members especially when they go silent for a long period. Some of you reading this may have received a 'Proof of Life' PM from me over the years. I don't like to pry because I understand that many things can occur in life that are way more important than posting to a forum but I do reach out when I notice someone MIA.

Today I got a message from Lewis Chessman asking if I had heard from Fred lately and I woke up to the fact that I had not. I called another man I know down in Medford OR. who is one of Fred's friends and got the update on Fred.

Fred suffered a debilitating stroke 2 weeks ago and is currently hospitalized in a facility where stroke victims receive physical therapy in effort to help them recover use of affected limbs etc.

I thought it proper to post this because so many here have gotten to know Fred through his sometimes quirky, sometimes quite entertaining remembrances from a colorful life. Our mutual friend in Medford will carry best wishes from myself and on behalf of the forum at large in a visit tomorrow with Fred.

I spent a little time with Fred and a number of other interesting folks when I spent 10 days fishing Oregon a few years ago, funny how time slips away...……………..

Here's to you Fred

steveid

Reaction score
What a bummer to hear. Fred has always proven to be a good man, and most definitely is his own man. My father was raised in Medford, and that’s my connection to Fred. All the best to him and his family.

el jefe

Reaction score
Wow, that was a gut punch. This world needs more people like Fred, not fewer. I pray things go well for him, and we can read his unique thoughts again soon.

Thanks for the update, Ard. It's better to know than not, but this makes me sad.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
I was worried about Fred as well. My heart goes out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bumble54

Reaction score
Love Fred's posts, I gave up work 22 years ago to care for my mother who has had multiple strokes so I know the devastating effect they can have. My thoughts and prayers go out to you Fred, remember, there is always light at the end of the tunnel it just takes a little time to reach it.

redietz

Reaction score
You should cross post this to the UK forum as well. He seems to be pretty well known over there as well.

I hope he fully recovers.

eastfly66

Reaction score
We will be praying for a speedy recovery Fred , hope to see you back soon .

JDR

Reaction score
I hope Fred recovers and is back posting soon. Until then, the discourse on this board will be diminished by his absence.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this thread, Ard. Regrettably, I wasn't able to accept his invitation to stay when I was travelling the West some years ago but I so wish I had. Given how little I had posted on the UK FFF back then it was an extremely generous offer and I remain, to this day, grateful for that act of open generosity to a stranger.
As the years have rolled by his posts have educated, entertained and often intrigued me. I kind of think of him as the Picasso of the forum - everything you need is there, just not necessarily in the 'right' order. :)

Here's hoping he makes a strong and speedy recovery and that his soppydog is being well looked after, awaiting his return.
More power to your arm, Fred!
James.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Fred....hoping to still get to do a float with him and dog....
Sending good energy....

Jim

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
You should cross post this to the UK forum as well. He seems to be pretty well known over there as well.
You're quite right, redietz. Fred is as much an icon on the UK FFF as he is here. I have posted a thread there knowing that many others will want to send him their best wishes and let him know he is in their thoughts and prayers.
All the best, J.