Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fishing with ant flies

When fish are rising in a thick hatch or spinner fall, it is sometimes useful to mis-match the hatch with a floating ant (or hopper or beetle). All three benefit from some motion imparted on the fly, as all three will typically struggle in the water, and if the motion to the fly sinks it, so be it -- dont just pick it up, let it drift. It seems to me fish often eat terrestrials, real and fake, when they land, when they twitch/swim/fly/etc., and when you pick them up off of the surface.

Took me awhile to find these pics. Size 16 for the black & cinnamon, size 14 for the "bee".
    100_6531.jpg 100_6530.jpg 100_6534.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

3. Likes hairwing530, dennyk, iv_wjb, brownbass liked this post

If you're going to carry ants, you might as well carry other terrestrials too.

The poppers are on a size 14 dry fly hook. They imitate various things. The inch worms are on 14 & 12's, longer shanks, both the deer hair "beetles" are on 12's. The foam beetles are size 12 & 14 also. Simple flies, but they work well.

100_6528.jpg 100_6529.jpg 100_6532.jpg 100_6533.jpg

100_6536.jpg
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

5. Likes hairwing530, dennyk, iv_wjb liked this post

Last August, I took my new neighbor fly fishing for the first time. James and his family had recently moved here from Ireland and despite his many attempts at salt water striper fishing throughout the summer, he had never been able to catch a fish. I gave him a fly rod and a quick casting lesson a few days before we headed out to a local river, and set him up with a spare pair of waders and boots. By the time we stepped into the river he'd managed to develop a basic cast, just enough to get a fly out on the water. I knew with the warmer water temps that the fishing would be slow but crossed my fingers that we'd have some luck.

When we started fishing I tied on a fly that I thought might work, but it didn't. Then another and another. I was starting to get a little concerned that he might not be having fun as I think his expectations were high. After an hour or so of casting with a variety of flies, I finally put an ant on his line (foam with an orange dot) and on his third cast he hooked a beautiful Rainbow. He was thrilled as was I. As he said, it was his first 'American' fish, and it put a huge smile on his face.

7. Likes bigjim5589, yikes liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    I like to fish them on the surface under branches and by brush.
    Good advise.

9. Likes dennyk, bigjim5589 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12