Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19

Default Cool artwork / river map

thefarwoods4_riversoftheUSA.jpg

For my birthday, my wife gave me this art print, an abstraction of various U.S. rivers. It looks amazing, especially when seen up-close. Note how all rivers are rendered about the same size, an artistic license which graphically punches it up. It reminds me very much of the "Body Worlds" plastinated circulatory system exhibits in museums.

I'm accustomed to seeing topographic-type relief maps of the US, where the mountains are the most prominent feature. This inverts that concept, and the river valleys become most prominent. In keeping with that abstraction, it's graphically presented as a "negative", white rivers on a midnight blue background.

FYI, the artist is Nina Montenegro in Portland. (I "borrowed" the photo from her website; my print is still in the process of uncurling from shipping). She's done a similar map for just Oregon, but I really like the U.S. map. As I appreciate conservation of our fishing resources, it reminds my of my love of rivers that both form and transcend geopolitical boundaries.
    Last edited by yikes; 09-16-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Default Re: Cool artwork / river map

That has to include major creeks but it is still very cool!

3. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    That has to include major creeks but it is still very cool!
    Buffalo Bayou and Cypress Creek that run through Houston are both included on the map.

Very cool, the artwork, I love it.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

5. Likes ia_trouter, hairwing530 liked this post

Really cool map!

7. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rc51sport View Post
    Really cool map!
    This is the site for the interactive map. it shows the drainage pattern of the USA river basins. I don't know if use of the images are copyrighted, but they may be. Put your cursor over the map and click. It will tell you the name of the river drainage.

Hydro Hierarchy
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

9. Likes ia_trouter, rc51sport, mka, Big Bird liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    This is the site for the interactive map. it shows the drainage pattern of the USA river basins. I don't know if use of the images are copyrighted, but they may be. Put your cursor over the map and click. It will tell you the name of the river drainage.

Hydro Hierarchy
    Cool website, thanks!
    Comparing the two, it looks like she added in more rivers that the ESRI graphic/dataset omits. Local example: the Owens in the eastern Sierra. ESRI appears to be concentrating on the rivers with largest flows. However, the Owens probably had the greatest social impact, in terms of jump-starting L.A. as a major metropolitan area.
    Last edited by yikes; 09-17-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Good stuff yikes, Happy Belated Birthday!

Denny