2018 Fly Fishing World Championships

steveid

Reaction score
Competition begins tomorrow. The competition is being held in North Italy. I just returned from a week in Cortina, Italy and it might be the most beautiful place in the world. The competition will be held not far from where I was, still in the famed Dolomite Mountains.

WFFC2018, World Fly Fishing Campionship, Trentino, Italian Alps

That's the link to the web page. I'm hoping somebody offers some coverage of some sort. One of the employees from Silver Creek Outfitters is competing, and has been updating the Silver Creek Outfitters Instagram page regularly. Looks like a great time and a great place to fish.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
If anyone finds a stream for this or where it could be watched please link it, I'd love to check it out.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
It looks like a beautiful area to fish and might have to be added to my bucket list.

I don't see the attraction of turning fly fishing into a competitive sport, but if it works for other people, good for them.

boisker

Reaction score
I couldn’t do a competition in Italy, the food is amazing... not so much wading as waddling...:D

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Do I really need to remind anyone that fly fishing is for your own personal pleasure.
If you really need to compete, grow pumpkins

boisker

Reaction score
Do I really need to remind anyone that fly fishing is for your own personal pleasure.
Thankfully you’ve yet to be made grand overlord... so people can choose to get their own personal pleasure from competing...

You hear the same old bollox from surfers et al...

if you don’t enjoy competing then don’t, if you do fill your boots

omas

Reaction score
Is it really a "World Championship" if the NAFFF Competition Team was not invited to participate? We have a Competition Team, right?

silver creek

Reaction score
Competition improves the sport. By that I mean competitions introduce new methods and equipment to the rest of the world. And these improvements translate to all us becoming better at our sport.

For example, fly casting competition introduced the double haul, a technique that Marvin Hedge taught to a few casters before he introduced it to the world at the 1934 National Casting Competition. Now it is a routine casting technique but it was competition that made it so.

Similarly, beadhead flies have been used in Europe for many years and especially in the Fly Fishing Competitions that use the European rules, which prohibit the placement of floats (strike indicators) or weights (split shot) on the line/leader. So fly fishers have adapted by using in-line colored mono as "sighters" to indicate strikes and beads to make flies sink.

Although several noted fly tiers including Roman Moser and Bas Vershoor along with Dutch fly tier and fly fisher, Theo Bakelaar, experimented with bead head flies; it was not until the early 1990's that bead head nymphs become popular in the USA. That was when Theo Bakelaar covered himself in Gold Paint to tie his gold bead head flies. He became known as Mr. Gold-head and he is credited with the popularization of bead head flies in the USA. But the flies are a European invention.

The recent popularity of the various techniques and specialized equipment for euronymphing from long lightweight rods, to long leaders, to specialized flies are the direct result of TEAM USA members introducing those European techniques to our country. Competition enriches our sport and that helps us all in ways that are not always obvious.

steveid

Reaction score
Never was one to grow a pumpkin, but I’ve always been a competitor growing up. So, I’m sorry but I don’t see it your way and never will.

Is it really a "World Championship" if the NAFFF Competition Team was not invited to participate? We have a Competition Team, right?
I think they must have forgot to send the registration flyer to our local fly shops! Next time...

Last edited: