Fly Size Question

Teamanglerx

Reaction score
I am reorganzing my fly box and realize I am stuck in the same bad habit I was in bass fishing. I have a ton of flies and only use a few. I have sizes 12-16 for most dries and nymphs but am wondering can I only 14s? Does size really matter (please stop laughing now).

Joe D

Reaction score
Teamanglerx,

Yes. It matters more than the rest of the stuff...

Greenwood

Reaction score
My experience is that when trout start refusing, the first thing you want to do is drop down in size. I tend to carry a lot of 16's and 18's ........and of course smaller yet in midges and BWO's. I think if I 'had to' (which I don't) - fish one size for nymphs, wets and dries it would be a 16. If I need smaller, I'll sometimes use the Sylvester Nemis idea and tie in the fly on half of the hook shank. It presents a smaller fly in the water but the bigger hook gives you more hooking and holding ability and the fish don't seem to mind. But, I don't think I'd limit myself to only 12's and 14's.

Of course this wouldn't apply to streamers or big terrestrials.

OldMan

Reaction score
It really depends on where you fish, and what time of year?

A small stream compared to a tailwater would be a huge difference in fly size. Warm weather compared to cold is another difference no matter where you fish.

Give us more details on where and when you fish?

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
From what I understand size and form are more important than color.

I have fished situations where Trout visibly consistently refuse my flies and then I change fly size and start catching fish.

On the South Fork of the Snake, during some BWO hatches it seems all fish want are size 18 or 20's. If you put a 16 or bigger in front of them it's like they don't recognize it.

To sum it up, I believe that when talking about trout size is VERY important.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the fish under a lot of fishing pressure? Are the fish wild? Are the fish Easy? These are the factors that really matter. If you are able to have fun catching fish every time you go using only a size 14 you can't go wrong.

Why would you want to complicate things? If it aint broke, don't fix it! I used to have a ball fishing wild Trout in Pennsylvania using a Bi Visible when there was no obvious hatch of Mayfly on the water. The Bi Visible makes a fine fly for hungry Brook Trout. I always liked a #16 for the little creeks.