Rod for a college kid

flyfanatic

Reaction score
Hey y’all,

As I prepare to head off to college in Wyoming next semester, I’m looking for a new rod. I don’t feel comfortable bringing my Winston Biiix to the dorms so I’m looking for a new rod. Ideally it’d be under $175 but I’d be willing to go to $200 max. I’m thinking a 9’ 5wt for some of the smaller rivers and high alpine lakes in the area. Any and all recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wthorpe

Reaction score
Congrats on your new college gig. And on taking a fly rod with you. Others on teh forum know better than i what rods will fit your specs and budget. I someone will recommend an Echo. There may be a curent thread on the forum that covers your issue, and i bet somebody can point you to it. ( I cannot.)

Try this thread: Looking for 4/5 wt Rod suggestions

clouserguyky

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a TFO, Redington, or Echo. When I was in college, I used an old Redington Pursuit. Great rod for the price. The equivalent these days is the Redington Path. Also take a look at the Vice for $199.

If you can find a used TFO Impact or one of the old Mangrove 4 weights (they've discontinued the 4 weight), you'd have yourself a really nice rod by any standard.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I’m going to make a wild guess that you are coming to my town, since the University of Wyoming is the only four year college in the state.

I have more thoughts about the water you will be fishing than the actual rod itself. Mostof my rods are older, but any of the ones mentioned here are valid options.

I’m going to assume you have a car or truck to get out to the fishing.
There is a stream with trout that runs right through town, but the fishing there tends to be spotty.

One thing about Wyoming is that the wind seems to always be a factor. I love fishing a 4 weight, but I generally use a 9 foot 5wt for all but the calmest days and smallest water.

Right around Laramie, the lakes probably offer the best quality fishing, so I would consider whether a float tube is worth hassling with. Many of the lakes offer good action wading the shallows so the tube isn’t mandatory.

Again a longer rod and some sinking line options will help with the lakes.
The floater will still be your main line however.

I would err on the side of a faster action rod. My current main rod is a Sage One and many guys here choose a 6 wt instead of my preferred 5 wt.

Hope that help some. If you have specific question about the area, let me know.

Don

flyfanatic

Reaction score
I’m going to make a wild guess that you are coming to my town, since the University of Wyoming is the only four year college in the state.

I have more thoughts about the water you will be fishing than the actual rod itself. Mostof my rods are older, but any of the ones mentioned here are valid options.

There is a stream with trout that runs right through town, but the fishing there tends to be spotty.

One thing about Wyoming is that the wind seems to always be a factor. I love fishing a 4 weight, but I generally use a 9 foot 5wt for all but the calmest days and smallest water.

Right around Laramie, the lakes probably offer the best quality fishing, so I would consider whether a float tube is worth hassling with. Many of the lakes offer good action wading the shallows so the tube isn’t mandatory.

I would err on the side of a faster action rod. My current main rod is a Sage One and many guys here choose a 6 wt instead of my preferred 5 wt.

Don
That’s good to know. I hadn’t really considered wind as much, I was just thinking average size of fish I saw caught up on mirror lake last weekend when I was touring.

I’ll probably get a 5 weight now that I think about it if that allows me to cut through the wind and throw sinking lines if need be.
Thanks for that info. I’ll definitely be in touch if I think of any specific questions

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Don gave you excellent advice. I too love a 4wt when the wind is down, but my primary fly rod is a 6 wt, it really helps with the Wyoming wind. I live on the opposite side of the state, but we get just as much wind.
There are several awesome sage brush lakes around Laramie and they have BIG fish.

flav

Reaction score
Lots of good rod suggestions, and I think you won't go wrong with any of the TFO, Echo, or Reddington rods others recommended.

UW has a fly fishing club. Join it and go to the meetings. My son joined the club at Montana State and has met lots of other fly fishermen and gone on several club trips and floats.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
If you tell us where you are currently fishing, one or more of us on here might be able to give some legitimate comparisons that could be helpful to you.

There is an active fly fishing club on campus and two good fly shops in town. There is also an active TU chapter. Larry McNerney lived here before moving to Pinedale. I’m an old guy, but if I can help you with the transition, just ask.

I’ve lived here since 2001 and retired in 2012 so I know the area pretty well.

I think you will like it here.

Don

flyfanatic

Reaction score
If you tell us where you are currently fishing, one or more of us on here might be able to give some legitimate comparisons that could be helpful to you.

There is an active fly fishing club on campus and two good fly shops in town. There is also an active TU chapter. Larry McNerney lived here before moving to Pinedale. I’m an old guy, but if I can help you with the transition, just ask.

I’ve lived here since 2001 and retired in 2012 so I know the area pretty well.

I think you will like it here.

Don
Well right now I’m actually in Minnesota. I head out for Laramie early next year. I plan on fishing mostly the lakes up near Centennial in by Medicine Bow Peak. I definitely intend on getting involved with the local TU and fly fishing club. I just want to be prepared with the right gear before I come out

silver creek

Reaction score
You could bring your reels and other necessities and try out rods at the fly shops. The Wyoming sales tax is 4%, which is much less than in Minnesota!!!!!

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
The warranty on LL Bean rods is outstanding. I’ve been fishing a streamlight ultra 5wt for a few years and it’s a stout, tough rod. I got it when I had roommates and was concerned some knuckle head would stumble in to it and break it, or borrow it without me knowing. I’ve continued fishing it because it’s just a good rod. It was $100 when I bought it and came with a case, nice olive color, enough punch for windy days. Overall a good rod for the money that you don’t need to worry about breaking.

spm

Reaction score

Don
Local knowledge is always best.

steve

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
You may find that you are doing most of your early season fishing at some of the Laramie Plains Lakes instead of the mountain lakes above Centennial.

The Snowy Range Lakes are often iced over until sometime in June. The road over the Snowies that goes through Centennial is closed right after the ski resort in the spring until right around Memorial Day and many of the side roads into the lakes will still be drifted over after Highway 130 is opened.

But the plains lake are a lot closer and offer good fishing especially since Game & Fish have taken steps to install aerators to reduce winter kill. Hattie is the big lake, but most fly guys spend more time at Meeboer, Gelatt or Twin Buttes. Alsop is managed as a trophy fishery, but has less wading access than the others.

There is also public access to the Big Laramie River and somewhat less to the Little Laramie. Your major may bring you into contact with local ranchers and most of them have stocked ponds or other fishing opportunities. There are also stocked beaver ponds in the mountains just east of Laramie.

Something else about keeping your good tackle safe is that it wouldn’t be too hard to find a local resident who would let you keep your stuff at his or her house. For that matter, my house is only a mile or so from the dorms in a quiet development and you would be welcome to stash some stuff in my garage or fly tying room or unfinished basement. I would bet that the faculty advisor for the UW fly fishing club would do the same. Or, if you join the TU chapter, I’m sure one of the other members would extend the same courtesy.

Just possibilities for you to consider.

Don

flyfanatic

Reaction score
You may find that you are doing most of your early season fishing at some of the Laramie Plains Lakes instead of the mountain lakes above Centennial.

The Snowy Range Lakes are often iced over until sometime in June. The road over the Snowies that goes through Centennial is closed right after the ski resort in the spring until right around Memorial Day and many of the side roads into the lakes will still be drifted over after Highway 130 is opened.

But the plains lake are a lot closer and offer good fishing especially since Game & Fish have taken steps to install aerators to reduce winter kill. Hattie is the big lake, but most fly guys spend more time at Meeboer, Gelatt or Twin Buttes. Alsop is managed as a trophy fishery, but has less wading access than the others.

There is also public access to the Big Laramie River and somewhat less to the Little Laramie. Your major may bring you into contact with local ranchers and most of them have stocked ponds or other fishing opportunities. There are also stocked beaver ponds in the mountains just east of Laramie.

Something else about keeping your good tackle safe is that it wouldn’t be too hard to find a local resident who would let you keep your stuff at his or her house. For that matter, my house is only a mile or so from the dorms in a quiet development and you would be welcome to stash some stuff in my garage or fly tying room or unfinished basement. I would bet that the faculty advisor for the UW fly fishing club would do the same. Or, if you join the TU chapter, I’m sure one of the other members would extend the same courtesy.

Just possibilities for you to consider.

Don
Wow thank you so much for the information! That sure is a lot to consider. I’ll definitely keep all of that in mind and will probably contact you in the future.

flav

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the dorms have storage for gear like fly rods, I know the dorms in Montana have gun lockers. My son kept a quiver of rods in his dorm room, and he said he never really worried about something being stolen.

The schools in the west have a different feel. Kids drive to class towing driftboats, you'll see lariats hanging in the the back windows of trucks, and people wear camo to class because they came to class after a morning hunt. Hell, last week my son was allowed to carry a gun on campus (and he did) because there was an aggressive bear around.