Fall fishing

J.James

Reaction score
It’s that time of year! Likely everyone’s favorite because the fish are angry and hungry, the leaves are beautiful, the precipitation is usually regular and helpful, there are no fair weather anglers to crowd you, the water is cooler, the fishing can be harder with debris in the flow, browns are migrating, steel are moving in and out, the river is a party and we savor every minute as the cold fresh air announces what is unmistakably coming.

Do you change anything strategically? I know as the water temp drops many start working the slower deeper sections but when don’t you work those anyway? I continue to swing the fast water as I’ve found fish enjoy the riffles in even very loW temps

The clock is ticking and hours darkening

rsagebrush

Reaction score
other than streamers progressively small flies in the 18-20 range are more effective. But until the first frost terrestrials are still quite effective.

dillon

Reaction score
Fall is steelhead time for me. The late Columbia river summer runs enter my home river. I don't go out as early as in the summer months but unlike the summer I can fish all day. I continue to fish a floating line, swinging surface flies. When the water drops under 46 degrees Or the sun is on the water I use a light sink tip and larger flies. Viva October, my favorite time to fish steelhead...

If I do make a trout trip only the insects change. Can you say, Paraleptophlebia bicornuta...

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
My home rivers close October 15th until January 6th which I am grateful for. It’s unlikely I will make it out again until January because it’s the Steelhead and salmon until November 15th when it’s the close of that season.

I will be out swinging flies and skating for Steelhead. Maybe just maybe a salmon or lake run brown could take.

I believe in seasons, let’s give the fish a break but the fall fishery is my favorite till close.

Tight lines.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Fall is when the white shrimp start to leave the interior marshes and start migrating to open water to spawn. Speckled trout and redfish move into local bays and up tidal rivers to meet and eat them. In the rivers it is possible to catch reds, trout and largemouth bass all feeding on shrimp and small menhaden together.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite season because I am often alone on my rivers here. Any fishing report posts will show up on my blog here attached to my profile. I used to post in threads but after 10,000 posts most are buried so deep I can't find them.

I'm loaded for Monday morning, it's a Mokai trip. I always get nervous about the first one and tomorrow will be the first time this year I've had the little boat out. I've given it the once over checking everything I can and it looks like all systems go.

The nerves? I always go up river if it's possible, tomorrow I will go down. The good part is that I can drift and paddle which makes it a pretty stealthy way to slip into a run. The bad news is that I must go back upstream when I'm done to get back to the truck. It's 52 miles downstream to the next take out...……………… Yeah, I worry about motors a little.

I'll definitely be alone and that makes it good.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Here's how fall weather sometimes works on the Gulf Coast.
Walking into work this morning at 6:10 am (sunrise around 6:45) the temp is 84*
Water temps are still 85*.
Sometimes summer likes to hang around

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Can't wait to get on the water the next couple of weekends before it gets too cold. Never fly fished in the fall though so it's going to be interesting for me - we'll see how it goes. Hope everyone has good luck!

karstopo

Reaction score
If I could pick one month out of the year to fish it would be November. A majority of the fishing people are off hunting deer and other critters. The water clears up. The redfish are going bonkers gorging on shrimp. The flounder bunch up. Speckled trout move into the rivers. And the weather is comfortable.

October would be a runner up. December is third. Autumn wins.

satyr

Reaction score
Trout wise, here in California, October is king. Less people, everything is cooling down, the browns are starting to run and October caddis make for some exciting dry fly fishing. I'm going back country into Kings Canyon National Park for a week on the 5th and hope to catch many good sized trout without ever seeing anyone except the guy going with me. And hopefully the bears have moved lower and won't bother our food.