John Was a Dry Fly Fisherman

Fish Bones

Reaction score
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishing and that John, the favorite, was a dry fly fisherman."

-- Norman Maclean
A River Runs Through It

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Yes Curtis... we know that. This is just a subtle way to bring Christ into the picture.

tie one on

Reaction score
I have never read that book. My youngest daughter suggested that I read it sometime soon. She said as much as I love fly fishing it would be great to read " A River runs through it".

I wonder what weight rod the disciples would have used instead of a net ?

It is very interesting to realize that Jesus picked a majority of fisherman to be his closest companions while He was here.

I am always willing to learn from the Master Fisherman.

tie one on

BigCliff

Reaction score
I bet you'll like Norman McLean's book much better than the movie. The book spends more time on fly fishing since it doesn't have to spend time on "look how pretty Brad Pitt is!".

easternflyfisher

Reaction score
BigCliff said:
I bet you'll like Norman McLean's book much better than the movie. The book spends more time on fly fishing since it doesn't have to spend time on "look how pretty Brad Pitt is!".

I don't think I've read the bok. I just got done with anotyher Gieracj book(Standgin in a River Waving a Stick) and I am looking for something else to pick up asnd read. This may be the book for me.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The Book is actually quite short and wouldn't take much time to read. You could probably find it at a local library. "Trout Tactics" by Joe Humphreys is another great one. The techniques are not the brand-newest out there, but it is excellent instruction on methods that are not all that commonplace.

tie one on

Reaction score
Is the book set in the same time period as the movie ? I hope to start the book this weekend. My youngest daughter will be home from college (first time since Labor day) & I know she has it somewhere in her room. Thanks for the info.

tie one on

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is set in the same time period. Your reaction will probably be, "this is just like the movie but much more about fishing".

tie one on

Reaction score
Everyone always picks on Judas.

Don't get me wrong, he betrayed my Lord.

But so did all the others, when they ran & hid when they came to take Him to the cross.

We all need to learn from what they experienced so we can stand strong when we are faced with similar issues.

Tie One On

Curtis

Reaction score
Amen brother.....

Besides, I have been known to chunk some p.b. from time to time with the kids.......... *ducks flying objects*

tie one on

Reaction score
Found a new one the other day that applies to this thread :

Be ye fishers of men, you catch'em, HE'll clean'em

Tie One On

tie one on

Reaction score
Boy did I make a boo-boo:-(

Had a stressful long day yesterday & failed to look just a few comments up the list to see that Gordon was the one who mentioned that comment about "fishers of men"

Sorry gents. Anyway it is a great thing to keep in our hearts. HE does more work than we can imagine.

tie one on