Help. I'm overthinking wading staffs.

hollisd

Reaction score
Looking for a wading staff because I had knee surgery earlier this year and lost 10-20 degrees of flexibility in my knee due to a bone tumor and breaking my leg prior to surgery.

Here's my nitpicks with what's out there:

Folstaf - While I like the cork handle and folding size the whole outfit needs to modernize. It looks huge folded in its belt sack with 4 adjacent pieces. For $170 my expectations are a lot higher.

Simms - I wish it packed smaller, but the reviews are so bad I don't think I trust this staff on the water. Anyone have a positive experience with their newish Simms staffs? I read reviews slamming the staffs for not folding apart and getting stuck etc. It doesn't sound like they're water worthy. I would probably go aluminum over CF.

Fishpond - It looks ok though it doesn't pack down small at all. Wouldn't a telescoping ski pole be as good? Aren't there hiking poles that would fit the bill and pack smaller? Could they handle water?

Orvis - They have two that look ok.

I wish there were something almost like a blind person's tapper but a little sturdier that packed down super small and was something I could pull out when I need it.

Especially the telescoping poles like the Fishpond I'm surprised those don't scope down to 12" or something manageable

I'm pretty nervous now with a compromised leg and hope I don't get in trouble some day what with a 9' rod in one hand y'all know it's a lot easier than you think.

boisker

Reaction score
I spent some time considering staffs.... all the feedback I had on folding ones was pretty rubbish.... risk of pulling apart when wading, not sturdy and not heavy enough on the point to easily hold bottom in heavy flows.... although I believe that when folded down and in their carrying case they make a nice techy addition to a wading belt if your into the utility belt look:p
So I guess you have a choice of a nice lightweight one that breaks down small, but isn’t at all great for the job.
Or one that’s sturdy and very reliable to wade with but is a pain when out of the water.

I ended up buying one of these- Snowbee Telescopic Wading Staff | Uttings.co.uk (not sure they are available in US, but there will no doubt be similar offerings).... nice and cheap, heavy and sturdy, it is long even when it’s not extended 34”... but no issue as I just had it attached to my pack trailing behind me in the water when not in use.....
I rarely need one at all, so only carry it on very rare occasions.

I looked at the fishpond offering.... chronically over priced, over engineered and far to light to be really useful.

Depends really on how much you will use it, how easily portable you want it to be and how sturdy.

ejsell

Reaction score
Ha, I'm actually using a blind person's cane I inherited 2 of them a few years ago. Sprayed them both with rustoleum and gave one to a fishing buddy who's in his 70's. The 2 I have are very sturdy and have held up for several seasons now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dharkin

Reaction score
I bought a Folstaf ( 50 inch model) for $100 from LL Bean several years ago and love it. Although it does look big, it really isn't. I slide it on my wader belt, forget about it, and have it handy when I need it. Now for $170.00 ??????? that's too much IMO.

hollisd

Reaction score
I ended up buying one of these- Snowbee Telescopic Wading Staff | Uttings.co.uk (not sure they are available in US, but there will no doubt be similar offerings).... nice and cheap, heavy and sturdy, it is long even when it’s not extended 34”... but no issue as I just had it attached to my pack trailing behind me when not in use.....
Folds down to a convenient 34" my peach emoji - it looks perfect otherwise.

I'm TBD whether I'll be a chronic or occasional user. I fish thorough but I also like to move which is why I'm looking for something. With my leg I don't have the option not to unfortunately.

Thanks for the rec I like that staff but the adjective above is *******s.

^^ wtf the forum just censored never mind the blank here's the sex pistols

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've used the Folestaff and its fine but does get stuck requiring a whack against a log to loosen and fold. My knees are bad so I need a staff in a river of any size and now am using the Simms (one generation old). The neoprene sheath is a little flimsy and requires care not to tear but the internal cable holds the staff together effectively and the release makes it easy to fold. The Gear Keeper retainer works fine too.

nickj

Reaction score
I use a Folstaff, don’t break it down anymore. My knees are shot, it’s a hiking staff, too, whether fishing or not. I keep it clipped to my waders belt and let it drift when I don’t need it.

boisker

Reaction score
A recommendation from someone who knows the rivers you fish would be most useful. I’m fine on my feet, so only need the staff for rivers with very heavy flows and which are also very rocky/ slippy and full of holes.
If it’s for general wading where the rivers aren’t too bad and more to give support and assurance then I reckon a lighter weight one would be fine.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I have 2 of the cheaper folding ones. 1 came from Basspro; not sure about the other. I fish Michigan rivers, which are generally pretty tame. Yes, they will pull apart in mud, and sometimes the sections get stuck but I'm patient in those circumstances and get along fine. Have had no real issues in the river or using them as a hiking staff. I've used them on icy driveways in the winter. I've worn out both holsters, though. Gotta make a couple new ones this winter. If my waders are on, my staff is on the belt

myt1

Reaction score
I recently made the switch to a wading staff and I'm so glad I did.

I cannot recommend too much the Custom Wading Staff sold by The Fly Fishing Shop, in Welches, OR.

It cost forty bucks and I can't imagine what features the more expensive stafffs have that this one is lacking.

It recently saved my butt on the Miracle Mile in Wyoming, where walking on slime covered bowling ball sized rocks is the norm.

Definitely two thumbs up.

Custom Wading Staff

JDR

Reaction score
I use a Leki hiking staff. I have relied on it very heavily many times. It is telescoping, has a cork handle where your palm grips, and seems very strong. I am into my second season with it. Leki kind of pioneered modern hiking poles. They have a lot of experience with this kind of thing. But don't put convenience (foldability, small size, etc.) in front of safety. If you can't trust and rely on your stick, it is no good.

coug

Reaction score
I had the older folstaff that had the smaller diameter and it bent way to much for me when I put too much weight on it. I see they dropped that one and only offer the larger diameter now. I went with simms a few years ago and really like it. I agree that the neoprene case is a pain, and I wish it folded into equal parts like the folstaff. I think OPST has a new staff. I use a Sharpes staff for steelhead. Weighted so drops out of the way.

hollisd

Reaction score
I'm looking at collapsible monopods for cameras and these seem more along the lines of what I'm looking for albeit there are compromises

I would love a small collapsable telescoping pole that fits in my waist pack. When I get in a potentially sketchy situation I could fish it out of my bag and put it back when I don't need it vs. spending all day with a light saber attached to my wader belt.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I just had my Folstaff, bought new in the 80s, completely factory refurbished for $35.

I never had a problem with the old version with a single bungee cord inside, but the new erosion has two cords and I cant see it Omni undone inaction. The only problem I have ever had was it getting stuck together and requiring some work to take down. That is supposed to be less of a problem when you wax the ferrules as you do your fly rod.

The others that I have seen or tried all seemed a bit flimsy for my 250 pounds and at 72 I find myself using it more often.

Folstaff now has a 59 inch model that they recommend for us tall guys, but I am still using the older 50 incher. The problem with telescoping style is that it doesn’t take much grit or debris to jam the mechanism. And if you are carrying it collapsed it doesn’t deploy immediately like a Folstaff.

Fred Evans has long been a proponent of a super long staff that is one piece that he orders from England. A search of the site should let you see Fred’s posts where he has given the details.

Don

desmobob

Reaction score
I looked at Folstaffs years ago and chose to go with a much less expensive two-piece telescoping aluminum staff (can't remember the brand offhand). It is sturdy, but is lightweight and has too large a diameter, making it hard to place in fast water.

I had always planned on upgrading to a Folstaff. I'll be watching this thread with interest...

Tight lines,
Bob

spm

Reaction score
Since Fred is laid up, I will respond. I found a pair of bamboo cross-country ski poles at a flea market for $12. Removed the basket and replaced the metal spike with a rubber tip. It doesn't ever collapse on me or pull apart. I don't have to unfold it; it is always ready when I need it. Out of the water it becomes a hiking staff. I use a magnetic net keeper attached to my wading belt and to the staff so it is always at hand when needed. I have been using this for years, and no, being in the water doesn't harm the bamboo.

Thanks,
steve

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I was looking at wading staffs earlier this year and bought the Cabela's brand because I had the points saved so it only cost me $10. Still not worth it. But it was between that one and the Black Diamond from Orvis.

Even using my Cabela's staff, I got caught in a deep section with a very fast current, and even though I had my folding staff in hand, the fast water made it shake violently as I was being pulled down. I tried to reposition the staff, and in doing so the top came off and I went under. Not a good time.

Luckily enough, I was able to get my feet planted below me and I gritted through the pain because trying to keep my balance before going under, my left knee twisted and buckled. It flipping hurt. Felt like the bone was about to come out the side of my leg, but I just damaged the tendons and ligaments.

I regret not getting the Black Diamond, but it could happen with that staff too, or any staff I guess. But a telescoping staff seems stiffer and more stable. I'd stay away from staffs that break down in four segments.

JMHO.

dillon

Reaction score
The length of a wading staff is important. The top of the staff should hit your arm pit. I had both the folstaff and Simms. The Simms is on the bottom of the Deschutes because the snap on the cord failed. The folstaff works fine but wish I had the longer one. I used to have trouble pulling it apart until I waxed the ferrules. Should have done that sooner because its works pretty slick now. The cork is starting to deteriorate, so glad hear they can be rebuilt for 35 bucks. Can the make it longer, too? Ski poles work good if you don't mind carrying or dragging them. I'd be Leary of any thing else not meant for wading because it might not be strong enough. A third leg is ver important on many rivers even if the other two are healthy...

ddb

Reaction score
Amen on the bamboo! Used them for years w/o grief. Hard to find now except at garage/yard sales,, See them, buy them... A coat of spar vrnish every couple of years helps shed water....

ddb

bonefish41

Reaction score
I made mine...go to Mudhole...check out their generic glass gaff blanks 66 in long 30-34 bucks depending on hook size I got the thickest for 5in hook use what ever tip you choose rubber crutch tip, nylon gimbel butt or aluminum gimbel butt.... handle any inexpensive synthetic grip...It works for me when guide asks me to get out and wade for Steel or Salmon in Pere Marquette or when I'm DIY wading Little Manistee...it won't break ...probably could size it a thinner shaft by using the 2in or 3in hook size...with the lanyard I don't lose it however, it can encumber your legs if you don't maneuver it while casting but it keeps me vertical and dryStaff.jpg