Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Riberfly, Hanak and Cortland Ultra Premium Fluorocarbon Tippet

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these tippets. I have found plenty of reviews on the Cortland, but it's so expensive, especially compared to how much material you get from the other 2 companies.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Riberfly, Hanak and Cortland Ultra Premium Fluorocarbon Tippet

I have a spool of Cortland 5x Fluorocarbon. It works fine, although I have only used it one day so far. I have not heard of the other two.

I am sure that flourocarbon resins that fishing lines and leader material are actually made by only a few manufacturers. Seaguar makes a big deal about making their own resins and lines : MYTHS The resin was invented in Japan and I am sure there are probably a few big resin makers there as well as companies like Dupont, etc. So unless there is some secret chemical additive that companies are mixing in with the resin, they may actually be pretty much the same. Much of it is probably marketing to differentiate one brand from another.

I'm sure there will be many who disagree, but not only do I think you will find minimal practical difference between the brands you mention, I also think you may be better off with none of them. I think fluorocarbon catches way more anglers than fish and for regular river or stream angling it offers a huge premium for no gain. Each to their own of course, but I no longer waste money on any fluoro.

THE FLUOROCARBON MYTH – Active Angling New Zealand
    Fishing For Trout Blog

https://fishingfortrout.blog/

I have plenty of experience with leaders and tippets and am prone to experiment. I'm not claiming I'm right and othrers are wrong but my bottom line is I use various Nylon monofilaments in trout fishing for their relative suppleness and superior knot taking and Fluorocarbon almost exclusively in the salt for its abrasion resistance and superior lifespan during UV exposure. The lightest diameter fluro I use is 12# and more often 16 or 20#. I do have samples of the new Cortland Top Secret Fluro in trout tippet sizes and will try it but I regard Fluro as a poor choice for dry fly tippet. The Cortland stuff is not a radical formula but a surface treatment at the molecular level that is purported to induce superior properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors519 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these tippets. I have found plenty of reviews on the Cortland, but it's so expensive, especially compared to how much material you get from the other 2 companies.
    Thanks!
    Have you been visiting the Tactical Fly Fisher site ???

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/leaders-tippets-rings/

Frankly, I have heard from more than one angler who actually checked with a micrometer ( FB Fly Fish Food Group ), that the Cortland Top Secret Premium Fluorocarbon does not mic. true. That being said, it's way overpriced. This thread sums up what I prefer to use:

Using bigger tippet for small flies

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Have you been visiting the Tactical Fly Fisher site ???

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/leaders-tippets-rings/

PT/TB
    Maybe... I recently got a spool of "5x" Hanak fluorocarbon and have been pleased with it. I don't know if it mics true or not though. I have some 6x Trouthunter fluorocarbon as well that hasn't been bad.

8. Default Re: Riberfly, Hanak and Cortland Ultra Premium Fluorocarbon Tippet

I tend to follow S&S rationale for fresh dry it's not fluro; however, for fresh wet steel/salmon and for salt it's fluro. Cortland's retail is 20 bucks for 30 yards. For me that's enough for three seasons since I must travel to fish. If I'm brown water fly fishing for Smallmouth close to home I use anything handy. But if I'm spending 1 to 5 thousand on a trip, 20 bucks for tippet material is insignificant...if I was a guide using 200 yards of tippet and leader material a season to rig my sports then maybe I would consider generic fluro ...I am partial toward Seaguar Grand Max old time not new...got a stockpile for salt....it was 15-18 bucks retail initially for 25 yards but 7-8 on closeout.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

I’ve read this before and concur with sweetandsalt.Carl’s opinion relates more to fresh water fishing.I only fish the salt and only use good fluorocarbon leaders and tippet.I’ve tried Knotless Tapered leaders for Bonefish but they kink like hell.I don’t know anyone who uses nylon in the salt.