Firehole Sticks vs Hanak 450

Outdoors519

Reaction score
Could someone shed some light on their thoughts about the Firehole Sticks 516 vs the Hanak 450? I love the wide gap and bend profile of the Hanak, but not the price. Also, the Hanak is listed as medium wire whereas the 516 is listed as heavy. Is there really a big difference?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Outdoors519

Reaction score
I'm also interested in opinions about Dohiku jig hooks as well.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

planettrout

Reaction score
The Firehole Sticks are made in China. Joe Mathis goes through all his hooks, before shipping, and has established good quality control on his entire hook line. I bought a bunch from him when I was up in Bozeman last Fall:

That being said, I have tied a lot more flies on both the Hanak 450BL hooks and Dohiku HDJ Hooks than the Firehole Jig Hooks. They are excellent hooks and price, for me, is not a consideration. They are available in #10 - #16. Dohiku HDJ Hooks are also excellent hooks. The steel in their hooks has been vastly improved since they first became available. However, they are sometimes difficult to obtain. They range in size from #8 - #20. On the link below, it indicates they go to #22, that is incorrect:

Hanak H 450 BL Jig Superb Hook - Competitive Angler

These Dun colored attractors were tied on a #14 Hanak 450BL Jig Hook...

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/dohiku-hdj-jig-hook/

The above Baetis imitation is tied on a #18 Dohiku HDJ Hook...

For my own personal reasons, I prefer the Hanak Hooks...F.Y.I. The Hanak 400BL Hooks aren't shabby either. My son took a nice Brown on the East Branch of the Croton River, outside of NYC, a few weeks ago on this guy and the hook set was solid even without the upturn:

PT/TB

Last edited:

Outdoors519

Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcomes! Thank you very much Planettrout for that plethora of information about the hooks! I have tied on Hends jig hook before I ordered the Hanak 450s and had some good hook ups with them as well. The upturned point of the Hanak 450s look deadly.

AnglerX

Reaction score
I've been solely using Dohiku hooks for 6 years now. Absolutely love them. They are sturdy, durable, and I like the bend profile. I use the jig hooks from size 12-20 and they have never let me down. They were designed by a 2-time world champion as well.

The Dohiku guys are out fishing a lot so after you place your order, you will hear back from them for payment whenever they get back from fishing, then it will take them a few more days to get around to mailing it, then it will take another 8-10 days to get to you (at least that's how long it takes to Wyoming). If you don't mind the wait, they are worth it!

Outdoors519

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply about the Dohiku hooks. If you're interested in getting them much faster, Devin at tacticalflyfisher.com sells Dohiku hooks and I get orders from him in a few days.