Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: Proper maintenance for rod, reel, and line after use?

Some thorough replies here.I can only add Don’t use ArmorAll on your fly lines.

I also avoid ArmorAll. Orvis used to provide a wet-wipe packet of 303 Protectant with their fly lines, so I always assumed that product was safe. I have used it for years as a line dressing with no ill effects.

Tight lines,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

3. Likes LimerickShaw liked this post

I think the 303 may be measurably better desmobob as I do know it’s a Better protectorant for my car’s black bumper plastic.I still only use the proprietary product like those supplied by Rio and S.A.

5. Likes desmobob, sweetandsalt, LimerickShaw liked this post

Wow, not many ArmorAll fans here. I don't use the ArmorAll cleaning/protectant wipes, I'm using the protectant wipes only after I've cleaned the line. I got this tip from a couple bamboo fly rod makers, that is all they ever use on their lines and I've been using this for a long time.

S&S what I've taken from your comment is that the ArmorAll will eventually start to degrade the line? I don't mean to sidetrack the OP's thread, just a question.

Thanks!

Denny

7. Likes LimerickShaw liked this post

I'm not a chemist but my understanding is that ArmorAll (& similar products) make our vinyl dashboard nice and shinny by encouraging, accelerating the vinyl's imbedded plasticizers to migrate to the surface. Vinyl, which is what most of our fly line coatings are versions of, have these plasticizers which very slowly exude to the surface maintaining the coating's slickness. Most of us have noted an elderly line becoming dull looking with micro fissures on it surface accompanied by reduced shoot-ability through our rod guides. This is a line whose lubricating plasticizers have come and gone, depleted and irreplaceable.

The best way to clean a good line is with water diluted, mild dish soap and a clean rag/paper towel followed by plain water. We are removing accumulated dirt to allow the line's intrinsic properties do their thing. If you feel your line is a little slicker after a fly line cleaning preparation is applied, I also recommend using the SA and RIO versions as these fly line makers understand the chemical properties of their coatings better than anyone. These, applied sparingly post cleaning, should be allowed to dry then get buffed with another clean towel.

9. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Likes LimerickShaw liked this post

Those who have used Amor All on their vehicles also know two things...1)this product actually attracts dirt and more importantly 2) It doesn’t last!

11. Likes dennyk, spm liked this post

Follow S&S advice about Armorall

I had several links about Armorall and fly lines. Rio used to have this statement about Armorall and fly lines:

"We strongly suggest not using the many automotive products that are recommended for cleaning fly lines. These products have chemicals in that will certainly de-plasticize the fly line, leaving it dry and cracked over time. Use a cleaning agent manufactured and sold by a fly line company."

Proper Fly Line Cleaning | True North Trout

"The bottom line is we cannot guarantee what is in other dressing or products and how it will react with our lines. A perfect example of this is ArmorAll. For years people said that ArmorAll could be used to clean and condition fly lines. What we know now is that they actually reduce the effective lifespan of the line. This is due to the chemicals in ArmorAll reacting with the plasticizers in our coating and actually drying it out. This can lead to premature cracking and line failure. ~ Erick Johnson at Scientific Anglers"

Sexyloops still has this interview with Simon Gawesworth from Rio about Armorall and fly lines:

Manufacturers Section

How best to treat Rio Lines? What do you personally use (silicone spray? Armorall?)

"Never, ever use Armorall on a PVC fly line. It breaks down the bond and results in very poor durability. The line will dry out and harden with constant use of Armorall. We recommend a mild soapy water with a flannel to clean the line, then if you want to re-lubricate it, apply a 100% silicone, though very lightly. All PVC fly lines use silicone as a lubricant, so it is best to use the base ingredient to prolong the line's life."

Here are some other links about Armorall.

Flyline - Page 2 - Fly Fishing - Nova Scotia Fishing

"Armor All

From Scientific Anglers:

SA would advise against using Armor All. We have found that it will accelerate the aging of the fly lines and the lines may crack prematurely. Our fly lines need very little or no dressing - only cleaning. If you fish a lot - 2 seasons would be a good life expectancy for a line before cracking, which would be lessened with the use of product such as Armor All being applied. Also there are many factors that can accelerate cracking. 1. Time of use, 2. exposure to sun/heat 3. care of lines 4. applying non recommended chemicals to the line (Insect repellent, sunscreen, Mucilen, Armor All, etc.), 5. water content 6. lack of proper cleaning.

We are attaching a document regarding line care.

Hope this helps - thanks for choosing Scientific Anglers
    To optimize the performance of your Scientific Anglers fly lines, Here are Our recommendations:

1. Line Cleaning: The best way to clean the line is to use a SA cleaning pad. These do the best job of cleaning your lines, and it is the quickest and easiest method. Mild hand soap and water on a cloth work well also. Don’t use detergents or harsh soaps, some of the important lubricants may be removed from the line’s surface.
    Clean your line if you see that it is getting dirty, or if you notice that it doesn’t float or shoot as well as used to. New lines will require less periodic cleaning.

2. Maximum Performance – For maximum performance and line life, keep your lines clean using the above methods. Should you desire a further, temporary performance boost, consider dressing your line with SA line dressing. Any line will shoot and float better after dressing, although the effects are temporary as the dressing will wear off with use, and the dressing tends to attract dirt and algae. Our new coatings benefit less from dressing than other coatings as they are slicker to start with.

3. Dressings: Use only a silicone based dressing. We recommend Scientific Anglers Dressing. Avoid solvent based dressings like Mucilin which can actually damage fly lines.

4. Protection: Avoid as much as possible, excessive exposure to heat and UV light when you store your lines. Do not leave them for long periods of time in a hot car, this can be very damaging.

5. Things to Avoid: Avoid line contact with any solvent based chemicals as well as items such as: insect repellent with DEET and sunscreens.

6. Storage – It is not necessary to remove lines from your reels for off-season storage. They should be clean and dry, and should be stored where they will not be exposed to heat, light, or any chemicals. If you have lines that you plan to store for extended periods, the refrigerator or even freezer is best."

Fly Lines are expensive and I only use products designed for fly lines.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

13. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Likes sweetandsalt, LimerickShaw liked this post

Done deal, no more ArmourAll and Thank You for the replies! Just got home from fishin' and I'll be cleaning my line only.

I'll pass this thread along to my bamboo buddies.

Denny

Thanks silvercreek for that Post...surely mandatory reading for every Forumite,and every fly fisher for that matter.

16. Likes dennyk liked this post

I forwarded my above post to a friend in RIO fly line development for fact checking. He said I was spot on and, indeed, never use ArmorAll but he did make one correction.

The imbedded, migrating plasticizers in our PVC fly line coating preserve its suppleness not its slickness. Its inherent slickness is a part of its properties and can be temporarily enhanced with an application a formulated for fly lines treatment.

18. Thanks LimerickShaw thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12