Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
  1. Default Help with rod selection for Belize

Hi everyone, first post here. My fiancé and I are headed to Placencia Belize for our honeymoon in November. I will be doing a day of guided fishing and have access to a Kayak for any DIY that I might want to do.
    I have a sage Z-Axis 7wt rod that I will be bringing for bonefish on non-windy days. I will also be buying another rod for the trip. I’m wondering what size outfit to get. Should I bring an 8wt, 9wt or 10wt to supplement the 7? I would also like the new rod to be fairly versatile for saltwater around the world (tough thing to ask, I know). Right now I’m split mostly between the 8 and 9 as I would like something for windy day bonefish as well as permit. Would I be able to use an 8wt for small resident tarpon that can be found in Belize in November?

Thanks!

Default Re: Help with rod selection for Belize

Welcome, momeneveau. As you are new I will point out that you would get more refined responses to this question under Saltwater or Rods in the more specialized Forum sections below. However, I have fished out of Plascencia. You will need a guide, there is little access on you own nearby for good fishing. Also, though there are bonefish available if you are willing to run distances to look for them but why bother. One goes to this part of Belize to hunt permit. A fast action, powerful #9 or 10-weight (I brought one of each) with a high quality saltwater reel for each is what I used with various sized and weighted crab imitating flies. Now, if you include a stop up north in the atolls there are plentiful bonefish there but small. There your #7 or and 8-weight would be appropriate but I don't go to Belize for bonefish. I love bonefish but if they were my target I travel to the Bahamas. Resident tarpon can be plentiful in Belize in November. I fish them with a 12-weight though a re-rigged #10 would do double duty for permit and tarpon. If you visit Saltwater Articles below, you will find a thread about outfitting for the tropical flats as well as other useful data.

Belize is a wonderful country with friendly people and fine food. I've never had better tropical fruits and, being morning now, I long for a basket of Belizean "Fry Jacks". I do have a bottle of Marie Sharps hot sauce in my refrigerator here. Who is the guide you have hired? Have a great trip.

3. Likes brownbass, corn fed fins liked this post
  4. Default Re: Help with rod selection for Belize

Thanks for the quick reply! I’m not sure who the guide is as we are staying at a resort who is booking the trip for us. We will be staying at Naia resort north of the town of Placencia. There is a tiny Caye just off the beach called False Caye that looks like it has a small wadeable flat which I plan on getting to via the Kayak. Also plan on fishing the bay behind the peninsula.
    So as for gear, maybe having a 7wt for the occasional bonefish and a 9wt for Permit and small tarpon would work? Unfortunately my budget doesn’t fit getting 2 new rods.

5. Likes brownbass liked this post
  6. Default Re: Help with rod selection for Belize

M: If it's only one more rod in the near future...I suggest a 10 wt every salt must have a 10wt and fish can't count...you can lighten it by lengthening the leader 10-12' and lowering tippet strength 10-12lb or heavy it by say 8-9 foot leader with 16 -20 fluro tippet for Permit flies

I mostly use a 9 wt in Belize. Been there 30 times, and stay offshore on the islands instead of in Placencia. But if you're going with your girl, you'll be happier on the mainland.

November is iffy for weather. Have alternate plans for inland to Mayan sites, etc.

Take your own flies and anything else you need for fishing. You won't likely find much there, and if you do it'll be expensive. Take some weedless flies for bones. Many of the best locations are in and around grassbeds, which require weedless to be most effective. If nothing else, take superglue and glue a weedless piece of mono in front of the hook.

Have fun. Try Belikin, Marie Sharp's, and fry jack.

chechem, Though I'm a Northerner, I'm preparing buttermilk fried chicken this evening. Maybe because of this thread, I added a healthy dose of Marie Sharps to my buttermilk/egg wash the dredged parts are marinating in.

9. Likes markg52 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Lol. When my buddy and I went there, we slept on the beach and rented some saltwater kayaks. Caught a **** ton of bonefish, got skunked on permit and I made the mistake of casting to a large tarpon with a 7wt. It was fun for about 5 seconds. Then the realization I was going to lose all my line hit me and I snapped it. That was 26 or so years a go as well. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    chechem, Though I'm a Northerner, I'm preparing buttermilk fried chicken this evening. Maybe because of this thread, I added a healthy dose of Marie Sharps to my buttermilk/egg wash the dredged parts are marinating in.
    LOL
    Glad you're enjoying life. And now Marie Sharp's is sold throughout the US. Woot!

12. Likes markg52 liked this post