Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default oddly named fly chart

Now that it is fashionable to give flies odd, or personal names, is there a chart that shows what oddly named flies represent? Are all these new flies just "Swiss Army flies" or are they meant to represent a specific type of insect? If the latter, how do you know?

Default Re: oddly named fly chart

Many of the hottst new trends -- like the garish bead headed, hard bodied, no leg or hackle , 'nymphs' -- have no known live equivalents. Extra terrestrial scat maybe.

ddb

3. Likes stenacron, Fly2bTied, cpiercem liked this post

Apparently, the fly tying industry has discovered marketing. “Sex Dungeon” sounds much more interesting than “Something That Maybe/Sorta Looks Like A Sculpin”

5. Likes proheli liked this post

I don’t know that it is just a recent trend. Even on older flies there are more Adams, Royal Coachman, Wickhams Fancy and Light Cahills than there are Blue Duns, Elk Hair Caddis, Red Quills and Isonychias.

But more of today’s flies are purely impressionistic fish catchers rather than imitations of a specific insect. Between hot spots, ice dub, bead heads and the dreaded mop flies it would take some heavy duty mutations for the insect world to catch up.

Don

7. Likes ts47 liked this post
  8. Default Re: oddly named fly chart

Quote Originally Posted by driftless22 View Post
    Apparently, the fly tying industry has discovered marketing. “Sex Dungeon” sounds much more interesting than “Something That Maybe/Sorta Looks Like A Sculpin”
    Yeah, but this is really nothing new. Every time I disgusted by names like “Sex Dungeon” or "Hollow Point" (from a recent issue of Fly Tyer) I have to remind myself that there were flies with names like "Montreal W***e" and "Mickey Finn" long before I was born.

EDIT: I find it interesting that editor would choose to replace a synonym for "prostitute" with asterix's, but allows “Sex Dungeon”.

I've said it a few times in posts, and others have said it, there's really no way we can know what the fish see when they see these flies we offer. So, does it matter what we think they represent?

Gaudy and garish flies are nothing new, but they used to be the exception rather than the rule. I remember being told when I was still a young man that similar flies I had tied back then wouldn't work. That they had to look natural! Nothing is ever absolute in this sport.

Yes, there's a saying that "sex sells" and it's evident in most anything these days, particularly sports, and that certainly includes fishing.

I've expressed my opinion in the past that flies such as the "Sex Dungeon" are not necessarily any more productive than other patterns, even much older flies, but IMO, Kelly Galloup is a marketing genius!

All flies will in fact catch some fish, eventually. I have found this to be very true and others have said many times that even their worse tied flies or worse creations have caught fish for them. However flies don't always become popular because they're the most productive, they become popular because more people will try them, based on their attractiveness to people and they do catch fish on them. It stands to reason, that flies that are used often, will catch more fish than flies that are not used.

Everything comes full circle, eventually. I'm sure back in the day, there were fly fishers who were offended by the likes of the Parmachene Belle, Red Ibis, and yes, even the tried and true Royal Coachman!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Get a kph of Feathercraft's catalog n look at the section on flys. It gives a general category and then list the various flies in that category they sell.
    It will give u a general idea of names n types of flies.

Thanks Bob. I don't know what a kph is, but I do have a copy of the Feathercraft catalog.