Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  75
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fly tying memories

I was about 10. My first fly had a sewing thread body and a tail and wing of fibers from a mallard flank feather I found by the pond near my house. I had no vise or tools, so I held the hook in my fingers and wrapped the thread with my other hand. Those first flies were pretty crude, but the local panfish, bass, and chubs didn't seem to mind.

I tried tying a fly "in hand" again a few years ago. I don't know how I ever did it.

I tied my first fly sometime in the mid 1960's. I used my dad's vise grip pliers for a tying vise and found some tweety bird feathers in the back yard, I think they may have been from a Blue Jay. It wasn't much to look at, but that got the ball rolling. That was 50+ years ago.

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    I tied my first fly sometime in the mid 1960's. I used my dad's vise grip pliers for a tying vise and found some tweety bird feathers in the back yard, I think they may have been from a Blue Jay. It wasn't much to look at, but that got the ball rolling. That was 50+ years ago.

Denny
    But where did you get the inspiration?, in my case I spent a lot of my time as a child in the local libraries and it was there I first found out about fly fishing and tying, I never was one for kiddies stories even at 6 years of age, spiders, bugs and worms fascinated me much more, must to the disgust of my mother who frequently came across old jam jars filled with all sorts of nasties, she drew the line at a dried pikes head nailed to the back of the door however.

4. Likes scotty macfly, dennyk liked this post

It was August 1963, and we were headed out on a family camping trip to the Rangeley Lakes area of Maine,"The Land of Fishing Legends"
    On the way up my father was telling us all about the famous Rangeley streamers and the trout and salmon they were used for.

It was a long time ago, and I was only 7, but I do remember "tying" a fly from my mother's olive colored knitting yarn, then sneaking my father's Conolon rod out from behind the tent and heading down to the lake.
    I knotted my creation on the leader and let loose, whipping that water to a froth.
    You'd think that I would have scared off any fish around, but I actually caught a small salmon.
    Easy right ?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes scotty macfly, bumble54, desmobob liked this post

[QUOTE=Rip Tide;1234033
    Easy right ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, So how come the more experienced I get the harder it is.

8. Likes desmobob liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    But where did you get the inspiration?, in my case I spent a lot of my time as a child in the local libraries and it was there I first found out about fly fishing and tying, I never was one for kiddies stories even at 6 years of age, spiders, bugs and worms fascinated me much more, must to the disgust of my mother who frequently came across old jam jars filled with all sorts of nasties, she drew the line at a dried pikes head nailed to the back of the door however.
    From my dad who liked to fly fish bluegills with a Montague Redwing bamboo rod. He liked to use mosquito patterns. He taught me to cast-I could sort of manage. Then I'd see flies at a couple bait shops, I guess it just interested me. GLAD it did!

Denny

10. Likes bumble54 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12