Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jig Hook Eyes

Default Jig Hook Eyes

Does anyone know what the differences, if any, are between jig hooks with the eye in the more common vertical configuration vs the horizontal eye? HDJ-14__46398.1507259567.jpgHDN_302_14_SP.__50104.1507258101.jpg
    Last edited by Outdoors519; 10-11-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Default Re: Jig Hook Eyes

Since they both ride hook point up, the only benefit I can see to a horizontal eye is for those who like to tie a knot where the line goes through the eye and ties around the top of the shank. I forget the name of it. Thurl knot maybe. It works kind of like a loop to loop connection. For that kind of knot, the horizontal eye is better. A vertical eye can interfere with the outgoing line from the knot and cause the fly to turn on its side.

I can't think of any other reasons to have a horizontal eye.

.... I looked it up. Turle knot or Double Turle knot.

Double Turle Knot tying. Step by Step Interactive Animation (home)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    If you don't like fishing, then you're not a good person.

I make jigs with hooks that are similar to both as you've shown, but larger, and there's no difference as far as fishing use. IMO, that may be more about marketing than anything, but could very well just be a manufacturing process difference in how the eyes are formed if it's different manufacturers. I also have some hooks I use for tying bass flies, some have eyes that are turned each way, but again have seen no difference in them affecting tying on them, or fishing with them.

As far as knots, there's many that can be used for both hooks. The eye being turned makes no difference. If they were up or down eye hooks, like various fly hooks, some knots that pass thru the eye are certainly a better choice than if they're tied on a hook eye like you're showing, but that's a simple matter of choosing the correct knot, not changing the hook eye to fit the knot.

Either hook should do the same job.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Here's two jigs, the hooks are both Aberdeen styles, but each has the eye's made different. Slightly different styles of jigs too but that has no bearing. The ONLY difference the eye position makes is how it fits in a mold. The same knots can be used, and both can be fished exactly the same. The line direction of pull is the same.

Otherwise, those hooks with either type eye, with most popular knots are fished the same.

100_6249.jpg100_6268.JPG
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Blog Entries

Doing a quick search “vertical versus horizontal jig hook eyes” takes one to several forums where people discuss the difference. There’s a prevalent belief in the bass fishing world that the horizontal eyed hooks allow for better hook sets.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Another potential consideration is that horizontal are tied-on by feeding the line in towards the bead.
    I've noticed a bit of variance/inconsistencies in slotted beads so in some cases it might be more cumbersome to thread horizontal if the bead is too close to the eye (the bead actually gets in the way of the rear of the eye).

Also as mentioned, if you tie a weighted "dropper" off the eye of horizontal, the line pull may make your hook run at more of an angle, but in practice I don't think this makes much difference as most jig patterns are suggestive anyway.