Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  133
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Great values, handy, useful, bang for the buck in flyfishing

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that partner, your river is a bear to wade. I suppose this gives alterative meaning to "Keep 'em wet!"
    It was not a big deal. Just goes to show expensive stuff doesnt always do better than an inexpensive alternative. However, we do like nice things. Yes, written words can convey multiple meanings...

Yes, a similar but less defined theme co-exists in the Wading Staff thread here...a Simms Staff or a Stick from the Woods. "Value" is an elusive term, though it fundamentally implies monetary cost, so much is balanced on the other side of the ledger. Quality of performance, reliability/durability, aesthetics, relative rarity, innovativeness, age and potentially historical relevance and so on. Those of us that have gone into fly shops in multiple locations all notice that seemingly the same stuff is in every shop; it is rare to finds something unusual.

Like most I've long had issues with "zingers"...the pin bends out, the cord frays and snaps, the inner spring fails and something is lost. In the 90's I came across Gear Keeper products, not in a fishing but a diving context and used by the military as well. These well designed strong, retractable tethers come in a variety of sizes and configurations and I use them to attach my net to vest and to keep handy but prevent loss of my nipper. I was not unique in appreciating them and now Orvis and Simms have them with their brand name on them. The nipper size cost about $12 and has yet to fail me. el jefe joked about the infamous Abel Nipper. Now that it has been around for several years, those who sprung for one have learned it seems to be a lifetime product like other things from Abel, easily outlasting numerous regular nippers or countless fingernail clippers. And attached with a Gear Keeper (or neck lanyard) it won't be lost, dramatically enhancing its "value".

I also use Vanish 4lb line. I find it amazing. Better than the other tippet that I've used. I also go down to 2lb on the ice florocarbon version, if I need the flies to cut through the water asap. I use a lot of tippet (4-5 feet at a time from the tippet ring) because I like Euro nymphing and this line has been good to me so far. But one thing I've found with the Vanish line is that you need to replace it the next time you are back on the river. Hence, the MONOMASTER!

4. Likes ottosmagic13 liked this post
  5. Default Re: Great values, handy, useful, bang for the buck in flyfishing

6. Likes dennyk, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dylar View Post
    Come to think of it, fly tying has yielded all kinds of things on this line.

I remember a few years ago finding a goofy stuffed animal at our high school after class let out for the summer. Some kid threw it in the trash on the way out. A round puff ball nose made the perfect glow bug, florescent green hair made great streamer bodies, and the white fluff inside was perfect for white scud patterns.

8. Likes Lewis Chessman, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I love peeking into other guys bonefish boxes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I'm afraid so, bonefish. My first fly outfit as a 14 year old was a bamboo HDH rod, Air Cell line, Medalist reel and a Wheatly box. There is undeniable charm to a Wheatly compartmented box and one of my fishing partners continues to insist in using them exclusively...right down to carrying a tweezer attached to his vest to deftly extract a fly. But not me, I'm totally into plastic with foam.

Attachment 13419

Attachment 13420
    I love peeking into other guy's bonefish boxes.

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I got two of them:

One, my Swiss Army knife-Fisherman. Paid $25 for it I think a million years ago, still haven't had to sharpen any blade on it. Tweezers, toothpick and scissors get regular use on any and every fishing trip. If I paid myself a penny for every time I've used it just on the water I'd be able to buy a Corvette by now I'm sure.

Two, I've had the same problem someone else posted about losing barbless flies (really small ones) off patches, so came up with a drying box. One small Altoids tin (eat all the mints first) and a couple packets of dehumidifying agent (little things that come with a pair of shoes or whatever). I cut open the packets and dump little beads into tin. Wet flies go into tin and back into pocket. Flies are dry in under an hour (never timed it, but they get bone dry). Hardest part is remembering that there's not any mints in the tin; DON'T EAT THE FLIES!!!

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

13. Likes mcnerney, Lewis Chessman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    ...I've had the same problem someone else posted about losing barbless flies (really small ones) off patches, so came up with a drying box. One small Altoids tin (eat all the mints first) and a couple packets of dehumidifying agent (little things that come with a pair of shoes or whatever). I cut open the packets and dump little beads into tin. Wet flies go into tin and back into pocket. Flies are dry in under an hour (never timed it, but they get bone dry). Hardest part is remembering that there's not any mints in the tin; DON'T EAT THE FLIES!!!
    Similar to this: I have acquired a whole bunch of those little bags of dehumidifying thingees. I put one in each of my fly boxes. I may be wrong, but I like to think it keeps them dryer. I put my files in a little plastic container when I'm done with them and lay them out at home each evening before replacing them in the proper fly box.

Some really great stuff on here! I collect the silica packets weiliwen and others mention, and pour the silica into a 35mm film canister that I keep in my bag to quickly shake and dry out soaked flies. I learned that from a thread on this board, and it works well!

I employ the paracord tippet holder, and use cocktail stirrers as nail knot tools as saltandsweet suggests after I was shown it by a fishing instructor.

Instead of the monomaster, I have found that I prefer the PIOpod from Fishpond. Handy to dispose of mono and tippet trash, but also handles the cigarette butts, bottle caps and other microtrash we all find on the river. I keep mine clipped on my sling bag and use it all day, simple and effective.

Fishpond-PIOPod-Microtrash-Container-Pack-it-In-Pack-It-Out-Closeup_guetzli_8d5161c4-2bf2-4566-9.jpg
    Montani Semper Liberi

www.cheat.org

16. Likes dillon liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567