TSA is ever vigilant

ggriffi

Reaction score
So in August we took a vacation and I brought my 2 fly rods checked in the case that's in the first picture. Today I brought the case in to put said rods in for a trip next week when the first one wouldn't slide in all the way so I unscrewed the the cap and found the notice from that's in the second picture. What did they think I was doing, bringing a 50 inch pipe bomb aboard?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I get those a lot in my luggage when there’s camping and fishing gear involved. Yet somehow every few months there’s a report about them failing to stop guns and knives getting on board. I guess TSA is better than nothing. But I’m not sure they actually make anything safer. Just slower and more intrusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trout stalker

Reaction score
Being a test engineer in railroading I get these every once and a while. I generally have a Pelican Hard Case for them to rummage through with multi-meters, small hand tools, and safety gear. As for fly rods I have just carried them on and they never bat an eye.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
the tsa is kabuki theatre, incompetent and a complete waste of money not to mention the incovenience to travelers. This along with the deptartment of education and energy should be thrown in the trash heap.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I carry my rods on board, no problem (in USA). But I have received that identical notice in my duffle with other camping and fishing stuff. News reports are inclined to focus on the TSA failing to find some weapon more than the many bad objects they do intercept. Yes, traveling is slowed by the security procedures but I watched with my own eyes the World Trade Center collapsing.

Aspects of our country and the World have become problematic and we require a many regulations as necessary to protects us from...ourselves. Not an issue out on the river but they will board your boat if you fish too close to the Statue of Liberty (I used to catch stripped bass right beneath her shadow).

gormaci

Reaction score
TSA is far from perfect but thank god for protection and some needed agencies and departments. Far from perfect as I said. I argued with them quite a few times, been unhappy and angry...But i feel fine going through body scanner and opening my bags for manual check. I feel sorry if the have to go through my dirty socks and undies after the trip. I do not envy their job and hoping they to best.
Some members should be thrown in the trash heap per sure :)

Last edited:

wthorpe

Reaction score
I carried four rod tubes and 8 reels through TSA prying eyes in Bozeman yesterday without incident or even conversation. Sometimes i think TSA in bozeman gets suspicious of those NOT carrying fishing stuff -- or at least a real cowboy hat.

I look very clean cut and innocent and likely too old and feeble to blow anyone up--maybe that matters!

silver creek

Reaction score
As a radiologist, a simple low energy digital x ray is all that is needed of a PLASTIC rod tube.

My local airport is a rural airport and they have a CT scanner for checked baggage. I know because after our bags are tagged we have to hand carry them to the scanner. A CT would be able to see the rod in a PVC rod tube,

With a CT scan with 3D digital reconstruction, they can create a virtual image of the bag contents. Maybe that technology will make it into the TSA.

3D reconstruction of a distal clavicle fracture. The 3D at the upper left is pre-op. The regular X-ray image 2nd row right is not preop but much later after removal of hardware. See screw hole defects in the bones.

JoJer

Reaction score
Like any other employer, they have to recruit from the human race for a job that has little to recommend it. Even more so than city cops they have to be right EVERY time. Bad guys can try, and fail a lot and only have to get lucky once. Like most top-downs, the lower levels have all the responsibility and zero control. It's a stressful job that makes the paycheck seem smaller the longer you work for it.

Last edited: