School of Trout

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
School of Trout

I apologize for the long post, but anything short would not do the memory justice,

I just returned from a week long fly fishing school/expedition on the Henry’s Fork called ‘The School of Trout’. This venture was the brainchild of Todd Tanner, who set the agenda, managed the schedule, etc… The course was a combination of classroom work, and on the river instruction. Instructors/guides included: Todd Tanner, Tom Rosenbauer, Craig Matthews, John Juracek, Kirk Deeter, Bob White, Tim Romano, Hilary Hutcheson, Steve (Mac) Mcfarland, Pat Gaffney, and Karlie Roland. A virtual “who’s who” of fly fishing instructors. Each morning began with breakfast (7-8:30) with the ‘students’ (12) sitting intermixed with the instructor/guides. Discussion was ‘open’, and as expected often focused on different aspects of fly fishing. At 0900, a formal ‘classroom’ presentation on an aspect of fly fishing occurred (ie: Tom Rosenbauer on fly selection, Hilary on “knots”, etc…). At 10 AM, each morning, John Juracek gave a virtuoso mini-class on casting. This included approximately 15 minutes of lecture/discussion by John, followed by ~ 1hr 45 minutes of ‘lawn’ casting by the students. On the last day of casting, we moved to the water, and casted towards pre-set targets that simulated varied difficult on-river situations. During the lawn casting, the instructors/guides would wander the yard aiding, and helping, while John would stalk the grounds giving inciteful, and often hilarious instruction. At 12 noon, we broke for lunch (came too soon for all). After lunch, we would ‘wader up’ and head out for a different section of the Henry’s Fork, for an ‘on the water’ presentation by one of the instructors. (ie: Reading the Water by Hilary, Streamer fishing by Todd and Tim Romano), etc… We would then fish for a couple of hours, with the instructors/guides providing instruction and comment. At approximately 5:30, we would head back to the lodge, and then meet for dinner at 6:30. Dinner, much like breakfast, was attended by the students, and the instructors/guides, and lively discussion ensued. At approximately 8pm, we would break for another hour of classroom presentation. At about 9, the day was over.

The weather did not cooperate, with wind, rain and snow virtually every day. This however, added to the quality of the experience by providing challenging conditions to practice in.

There was a variety of student experience coming into the course. There were no ‘rank beginners’, with some more experienced fly fishermen (and women). Because of the nature of the course, all levels could be accommodated with personal instruction by the guides & instructors.

In short, Todd is a thoughtful, inciteful and experienced fly fishermen who put together a broad and varied experience for all levels of knowledge and skill. He did a masterful job, and is to be commended for his passion, and attention to detail.

I would recommend this course without reservation. I would consider ‘repeating’ this course, even though at the end, we all received graduation diploma’s!

JTH

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I spent some of the last week teaching my son to fish, who due to a former "video game lifestyle" is is a rank beginner.
As simple as I'd like to believe it is, there's an unanticipated question with every step of the foot.!
As someone that's fly fished all of their lives, I don't ever see it that way and I mentor folks for my club regularly.

While I certainly don't question the quality of instruction from fly fishing "professionals", my one-on-one instruction set us back for all of a pair of 3 day non resident licences plus camp ground fees

IMGP0012_3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wthorpe

Reaction score
Well, damn!

This is an unusual and interesting post. Thanks. I know at least a couple instructors and "know of" most of the rest. I bet many of the folks on the forum know or know of many / all of them too.

Did the school provide lodging and meals and if so where? And where were the instructional events -- both off and on the water?

silver creek

Reaction score
The cost is $7950 = $1136/day not including travel expenses for a "Basic Trout" course.

2018 Classes — School of Trout

My question for Idahoflyfishmn is whether there were any total beginners in the course; that is, someone who had no casting or fly fishing experience. Since the school chooses you rather than the person choosing the school (you have to fill out an application and the school cherry picks who will attend), they get motivated students who may not be as "basic" as the course states.

I wonder where the sweet spot on the learning curve would be for "getting your money's worth" from this course.

Last edited:

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
Sounds great. What were your main take aways from your experience?
Dillon, While there were many 'take-aways', perhaps the most glaring to me was the deficiency in my casting stroke. My friends all state tat they wish that they could cast like me. John Juracek exposed my flaws. His theme: Cast in a straight line every time. Cast with tight loops. Cast in the wind. Have a mechanically sound casting stroke.

All of which I am currently working on.

JTH

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
Well, damn!

This is an unusual and interesting post. Thanks. I know at least a couple instructors and "know of" most of the rest. I bet many of the folks on the forum know or know of many / all of them too.

Did the school provide lodging and meals and if so where? And where were the instructional events -- both off and on the water?

Lodging/food was provided at the Trouthunter lodge. Both Lodging, and food, were excellent. Instruction was both classroom, and on the water. Every afternoon we would 'wader-up' and head to a different, unique stretch of the Henrys Fork, for an instructional session. (reading the water, Nymphing, streamer fishing, etc...)

JTH

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
The cost is $7950 = $1136/day not including travel expenses for a "Basic Trout" course.

2018 Classes — School of Trout

My question for Idahoflyfishmn is whether there were any total beginners in the course; that is, someone who had no casting or fly fishing experience. Since the school chooses you rather than the person choosing the school (you have to fill out an application and the school cherry picks who will attend), they get motivated students who may not be as "basic" as the course states.

I wonder where the sweet spot on the learning curve would be for "getting your money's worth" from this course.
Silvercreek: There were a variety of skill-sets amongst the student participants. Some fairly seasoned, some pretty new to fly fishing (didn't understand knots, leaders, etc...). So..while the skill sets varied, there was 'something' for everyone. I am uncertain how Todd choose the participants. I am fairly new to fly fishing ( 31/2 years) but have invested a great deal of time and effort over the last 3 1/2 years. I am a consummate reader, and have acquired a great deal of 'knowledge' wrt fly fishing history, lore, science, epidemiology, and techniques. However, there is always something to learn, to practice, and the execute better. In short, there was something for everyone, and I am certain that it was planned that way,

JTH

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Never feel the need to apologize for a long post, if we had to do that the only posts I'd make would require apologies. On the weather you folks had I can relate, we had weeks of perfect fall weather but I had to wait until this past Saturday to embark on a multi day trip. I can shorten this by saying that conditions were not very comfortable. Glad to hear you enjoyed the program.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Weather and fishing...In the East this past Spring we had lots of rain, rivers were so high that when we should (according to the calendar and optimizem) been fishing Hendricksons, we were tossing streamers, in the West in June most rivers were in flood stage and cold, rain and storms were daily events, back East I have been unable to wade again from August to today with water 4X deeper than I can deal with and tomorrow, I've been scheduled to fish for albies off Montauk but as I feared, my Capt. just called to say the forecast 4' seas and NW wind to 31 knots made conditions unsafe...and canceled us. Weather. But the Trout School sounds great and TroutHunters is a terrific facility...its co-owner is a lurker on our Forum (e-mail me if you read this).

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent report!

Pleased to have had my application accepted for the 2020 School and I am very-much looking forward to all it has to offer!!

flytie09

Reaction score
Good for you and take notes. It’s a 1 in 700 million opportunity.

Last edited:

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Wallace, I am happy for you. Can’t wait to hear about your experience, I hope you will post a report when you return.
Thanks Kev... I'll make-sure to take notes, lots of photos and follow-up with a report! I can hardly wait!!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Many of the tactics, strategies and techniques that are foundational in my trout fishing everywhere, I learned on the Henry's Fork's Railroad Ranch. And each time I visit it again, almost an annual event since the mid 1970's, my skill development continues to evolve. I feel at home on the Fork.

W10 167 Henry's Fork 7.3[P]s.JPG