Favorite indicator to use?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I've been using an indicator that has a rubber band you put in, then put the line, then second part of the rubber band over the top of it and then twist to hold in place. I just came across some 'putty' stuff that it looks like people use for indicators but looks like that is really only effective if you're putting a knot in your line to make it stay? Anyways, it got me wondering - what do you guys use or find most effective for an indicator and how do you set it up?

rc51sport

Reaction score
I have a hard time finding indicators I like. I always just seem to give up. They always seem to fall off my 6x line or slide around if I dont add knots, which I prefer not to do. I tried New Zealand until it flew off. I bought some air locks the other day and have lost a few plastic nuts already. The only ones I find easy to use are the foam pinch on sticker type. Only problem I have with these are the trouts love eating them instead of my fly.

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
I have had good luck with "football foam strike indicators". football shaped piece of foam with a slit. Rubber tube sits in the slit. You put the line against the tube and twist the tube until it sits between the foam and the tube. Works pretty good, no need for a not, no residue on the line, easy to re-position and seems easy to cast.

dillon

Reaction score
I don't nymph much but when i do an indicator is not used. When I did nymph on a regular basis strike indicators had not been invented. You would watch the end of your flyline and the butt of your leader. If you hold most of the flyline off the water you may have a coil or two in the leader floating on the water. When those coils straighten lift and you may feel a fish. keeping the fly line in your finger tips or held against the cork may also help you feel a strike. Sometimes Id cast upstream and draw in line as it drifted back to me trying to keep it tight. Sometimes it would stop or shoot upstream signaling a take. It was all feel and intuition, sort of zen like, man...

I dont nymph much now because I like to sight fish. The observant angler can see signs of nymphing trout. That's when I might do it.

flytie09

Reaction score
I like to use Thingamabobbers for heavier nymph rigs and the foam footballs for lighter ones. All white.

The thingies are known for kinking your line.... but they’re super buoyant and durable. Never had one fly off mid cast.

The white tiny foam footballs are super stealthy and work well. Yeah they fly off once in a while, but I’m fishing close distances most times while using them. Which means less effort casting and less chance for them popping off.

I’ve tried the putty, yarn and those with a plastic stick and these all have their challenges. The tiny balsa floats work well.... but the wood sticks that keep line from sliding get lost easy.

It seems I’ve tried them all. I stick with what works for me.

ft09

steveid

Reaction score
I use Airlock Indicators and really like them. I have yet to try the New Zealand wool indicator, but will give it a go for water that is slower and needs a more gentle landing.

original cormorant

Reaction score
You probably don't want to get involved but...

There's some navel-gazing discussion on the uk version of this forum about indicator terminology. The essential points are first if the term "strike indicator" originated in the US. and secondly whether "strike" in "strike indicator" means "strike" or "take".

NB this is about the language of indicators not the use of indicators.

Please don't ask if it matters:D

rangerrich99

Reaction score
So I don't use indicators much at all any more, except as sighters for sub #20 dries (just can't see those tiny things anymore) but I have a couple waters where I'll still use them.

So, at this point I pretty much solely use NZ strike indicator wool, mostly because of how easily it casts, but also because of its stealthy properties. But on this one piece of water I use it because I can shape the wool into a 4-5 inch long 'plume' or feather shape, which allows me to fish a 18 ft. leader to a heavy nymph which must be cast 40-50 feet, and then 'walked' or crawled along the bottom. The end of the wool plume will either stick up or lay flat on the surface, and doesn't interfere with my ability to make a long cast. And it will just barely float all of that leader/tippet and tunghead bug. Finally, if a fish does rise off the bottom and whacks my fly, the wool is so light it will transmit that strike on the long drop.

Wool also works really well with really light stealthy nymph rigs, such as commonly used on most of the Juan.

The other indicator I sometimes still use is a slip strike indicator, for fast waters, like the Ferry. At the Ferry you need a 14-17 foot rig, with a couple beadhead zebra midges or the like, and a fairly large split shot. With a fast current, you just have to have a high floating bobber, but trying to land a fish with a leader that's almost twice as long as your rod in that current is a pain. The slip strike bobber allows the bobber to slide freely up and down the leader after the hookset, so no having to grab the leader and hand-walk the fish in then grab your net and try to scoop your fish.

I think the exact brand I used to buy has gone under, but I've seen several versions that probably would work just as well. Rogue River is an example.

stater61

Reaction score
I haven't tried everything by a long shot but I've tried a lot of things and this is by far and away my favorite indicator setup.

YouTube

JH

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Depends on what water, distance, depth, and rig. So for me there is no single one I prefer as they all do something better than the other.

I like Thingamabobs/Airlocks because they are great for distance nymphing heavy rigs in moderate to fast turbulent water. Nothing like being able to effectively fish a heavy stone fly rig in that deep water on the other side of the main channel. Makes mending a cinch.

I like CorQs for their sensitivity and natural wood appearance. Great for those high pressure waters where just your movement can cause shadows swimming for cover; forget about running a rod over them. Effortless lobbing from a distance with a fraction of the splash as the plastics.

Wool or synthetics are super sensitive. Perfect for that deep slow moving water in winter where a take may be so subtle the yarn just turns a bit.

Just the fly line when fish are actively feeding in shallow to moderate depth water, little turbulence, where weight is minimal; high pressure waters.

I have a favorite weapon and tactic for every situation. :D

flav

Reaction score
I used a yarn style indi for years, in fact I still have the first one I bought twenty odd years ago. Then I discovered thingamabobbers, they're awesome for the big water and heavy setups I'm often fishing, but I hated how they kinked my leader. Air locks are now my favorite, the great floatation of a thingamabobber, easier to adjust and no damage to my leaders. After a couple seasons I still haven't lost any of the little tightening nuts, but I can see how that might happen and it would suck.

el jefe

Reaction score
I used a yarn style indi for years, in fact I still have the first one I bought twenty odd years ago. Then I discovered thingamabobbers, they're awesome for the big water and heavy setups I'm often fishing, but I hated how they kinked my leader. Air locks are now my favorite, the great floatation of a thingamabobber, easier to adjust and no damage to my leaders. After a couple seasons I still haven't lost any of the little tightening nuts, but I can see how that might happen and it would suck.
They should put a mini-retainer on the screw top and washer on those things. Wouldn't be that hard. If they start doing that, you guys are my witness when I sue for patent violations.

reels

Reaction score
If I'm fishing a suspension rig, I basically have a priority list of floating indicators I use based on the time of year and conditions.

1) Use a "dry" for the indicator such as a foam beetle, hopper, etc.. If the fish are looking-up, something on the surface can get their attention and even a strike.
2) If the above doesn't apply, use a Dorsey indicator (already mentioned by someone else) in a natural color such as olive+white. This indicator is very stealthy and almost never spooks fish, even highly pressured trout in clear water. I tried the NZ wool indicators and I find the Dorsey easier to cast/control. Plus, they are kinda fun to build.
3) There are cases where the Dorsey indicator isn't effective IMHO. For example extra heavy nymphs, rough top-water, very high winds. In these cases I'll use the smallest sized airlock (bobber) in clear or white; never any of the bright colors.

I've munked around with other various types floating indicators in the past, and the above list seems to be the most effective for me on the waters I usually fish.

biker1usa

Reaction score
I use a size 10 or 12 foam beetle as the indicator, making sure to keep it floating (which sometimes can be a challenge when fish are taking it too) but also use thingamabobbers and Corqs when it is real windy. Countless takes on the beetle and the fly below and I have caught fish on both at the same time once in a while (FUN, FUN, FUN).

bocianka1

Reaction score
I second the foam footballs for lighter rigs. Thingamabobbers and old school yarn indicators kinked up too many of my leaders. The footballs are easy to adjust and land fairly lightly on the water without being a huge parachute in the air.

For heavier rigs, I like airlocks. They come in different sizes and can be adjusted pretty quickly. I haven't lost any of th tops yet, but I do see how that can be a concern.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score
Assuming that the basis of the question is nymphing only (hence the question what one's favorite indicator is), I typically use two types. I use the NZ, because I can use it big or small, different colors, two different colors in the same puff or in separate puffs. I have even put three small puffs inline. If it gets windy, I can trim it down. If it gets really windy, I switch to the footballs, and I have those in different sizes and colors, and usually use two inline footballs, sometimes in the same color, and sometimes in different colors. I will also employ the NZ indicator with a small puff when fishing very small dries.