Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  78
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Fly Fishermen Generosity

Great posts. I have been fortunate in receiving such goodwill. I struggled with river fishing and posted on the UK forum and a very kind soul offered to show me how to fish in a river. I took up his kind offer and he showed me how one should cast a fly, I was impressed. I caught a couple of fish too. After that I knew had to become better at casting. His good friend, a well-known MCI has also given his time to mentor me. One of these days I will repay these acts of kindness in the same way but first I need to get better still.

2. Likes hairwing530, dennyk, Lewis Chessman liked this post
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Default Re: Fly Fishermen Generosity

A bump back to the top, just because I believe the topic is one worthy of more attention. No matter your age or particular lean with fly fishing, every fly-wrangler has a good story to tell about how he/she came into the sport, and who helped him/her along the way...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

4. Likes k_e_v, Redbrook, rc51sport, bocianka1 liked this post

Over this past year, my first year of fly fishing, I have found it to be very challenging and humbling at times. Fly fishing has taught me a bit of patience I may not have had before. I feel this opens us up to being a bit more giving and patient towards others. Maybe that is the draw to other like minded people..
    I am happy to have met the people I have and to be part of this sport/hobby.

6. Likes hairwing530, Lewis Chessman liked this post

Many years ago I was driftboat fishing with a fantastic guide on the North Platte, enjoying an awesome day with the small grey nymphs he had suggested. Well upstream of us was a large pontoon raft with five or so out-of-towners. Not a single one hooked up for at least 20 minutes. We were landing fish steadily. My guide, one of the fishiest people I have ever known, Kray "Krayfish" Lutz, kept looking back to see if anyone in that group had hooked up. Finally he told me to reel in and "hold on for a sec." Kray rowed back upstream, a long way to row against a stiff current on those beautiful waters. He pulled up beside the pontoon raft and asked if anyone had any small gray nymphs. They said "No." Kray reached into his stash and shared a hefty handful of that day's winning ticket. In no time at all Kray looked back to see every single rod on that raft hooked into those North Platte bruisers. Kray just smiled and we fished on for the rest of our wonderful float. The generosity of a spirit that cares about total strangers enjoying the day on his home waters made a lasting impression and still makes me smile.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. Likes hairwing530, dynaflow liked this post

Suitably on Remembrance Day ....

Back around 2005 I met an old gentleman, Frank Goff, then about 88, while fishing on the River Annan, Scotand. Frank had been an R.A.F. pilot in WWII and had so many brushes with death that others dubbed him ''Lucky Goff'' and wanted to fly with him. After 23 close shaves they just knew Frank would see the war through!
    Frank was a straight forward country man with an eye for the ladies and a wry sense of humour:
    Frank: Do you know what I do first thing in the morning?
    Me: No, Frank, what?
    Frank: I put my arms out like this (to the sides) ..... and up like this (to the ceiling) ...... and if I don't feel a box ..... I get up!

By the time I met him I think most of his fishing pals had either touched the box or couldn't get the waders on any more. I loved hearing his war stories and he loved telling them too. One morning at breakfast he said, "Would you like to come to Tulchan with us this July, James?"
    Now, Tulchan is an historic sporting estate on the River Spey, the haunt of kings and kaisers and, financially, beyond my wildest dreams and means. But Frank had done well in the gravel trade after the war and he ''didn't want the government to get it in Death Duties'' after he'd gone so he was happy to pay for the cottage for the week, the fishing for six rods and for dinner each evening, delivered to the riverside hut direct from the lodge kitchen. I took care of lunches, another did breakfasts, a third, drinks.
    The week probably cost Frank around $15000 but it was never mentioned - and I was fortunate enough to join him four times. As his health failed him in his 90s he could only fish for half an hour at a time. On the last day of his last-ever week, fishless, he cast from a seat until his strength diminished then his gillie cast for him, handing the rod over for the swing. The gillie told me, "I felt the fish take but said nothing, just handed him the rod as usual ...."
    "Ooh! Ooh, I'm on!"
    After forty years fishing at Tulchan the wonderful man finished his session with a bonnie 8 lb fish.

Frank was generous with his time, his experience, his friendship and his wallet. It was through him that I not only learned to Spey cast but actually fished that venerable water. And it was through his introduction to the estate that I later gillied there myself for four wonderful seasons, actually paid to fish the great river (sometimes!). I'm sipping a rather fine Ardbeg 12 y.o. at the minute and raise my glass to the memory of 'Lucky Goff' who was born during a Zeppelin raid over Cambridge in WWI. While flying anti-submarine recon off the coast of West Africa in '42 he saw what is now called a 'bait ball' over a mile in diameter churning up the Atlantic. He reckons he was the first to record such a thing but couldn't photograph it with the Hudson's cameras ''because I would have been court-marshalled for wasting War Office film''. He ended the war dropping motor-boats by parachute to downed pilots in the North Sea. "Did you ever see one used?'' I once asked? "I did see one chap climb into one once but he was so exhausted he couldn't cut the parachute lines with the axe." "Did he make it?" I said. "I don't know, I had to leave due to fuel and we were never told such things.''

F: "Do you know why I like these Len Deighton books so much?"
    J: ''Why's that, Frank?''
    F: Because by the time I get to the end I've forgotten how it began .... and I just go back and start it again."

I am honoured to have known the man. I just wish we'd been contemporaries, what larks we'd have had!
    Last edited by Lewis Chessman; 11-11-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Sp.

My son was given a Sage reel from K_E_V. He was so excited when he received it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12