Flies and/or Supplies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery (2019)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It is time to start a new thread requesting flies for both 2019 Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery programs. This will be the seventh straight year we have donated flies and fly fishing materials to CFR and PHW. If you have any excess flies that you would like to donate or are willing to tie up six or maybe a dozen for those two great organizations, that would be wonderful. The flies don't need to be all the same pattern, but they do need to be unused flies. They get distributed all over the country, so don't worry about the type of fly, it will get used by some deserving vets! If you can't tie or don't tie flies, we also except fly boxes, nippers, forceps, tippet, leaders or other fly fishing related items that would be appropriate as raffle items for the respective retreats.

The Project Healing Waters fly donation will be going to Bob Gartner who is the program lead at Ft Belvoir and was a tremendous help the last several years in getting our flies distributed throughout the country to those PHW's programs in need. Last year our flies were added to the flies generated in the two fly tying marathons that PHW's put on, for a total of 7,000 flies that were distributed around the country. We ended up donating just over 1,500 flies to PHW, if I remember correctly. It never ceases to amaze me what a few people can do to help those in need.

We also are planning on donating flies to the Casper PHW program, as well as the Wyoming CFR program, and the Utah CFR program. If you have a favorite PHW or CFR program and want to donate your flies to them, let me know and I will make it happen. Last year we had 27 forum members who helped out with this project and we were able to donate 1500 flies and a ton of fly fishing related items to both of those great organizations. Thanks everyone that helped donate flies, materials and cash!!!!!

Paying it forward the best I can.......please help out if you feel inclined!

If your willing to donate flies or fly fishing related items to either Project Healing Waters or Casting for Recovery send me a PM and I will forward my address.

My goal is to have all donated flies and fly fishing accessories to me by the end of April 2019, so I can get them mailed to the respective organizations.

Volunteers for the 2019 PHW and CFR fly and fly material donation:
1. Kevind62........donation received!........second donation received!
2. Hairwing530........donation received!
3. McNerney.........Flies completed!
4. Spm........donation received!
5. Idahoflyfishmn........donation received!
6. Ottosmagic13
7. JoJer and Scoutm........donation received!
8. Dennyk........donation received!
9. Clsmith131........donation received!
10. Dillon........donation received!
11.Rrc51sport........donation received!
12. Murkin........donation received!
13. Wjlapier
14. Kata2012...........donation received!
15. Definistrated29........donation received!
16. Don_p
17. Rodneyshishido........donation received!
18. Anonymous........donation received!
19. Plugs........donation received!........second donation received!
20. Bocast.........donation received!
21. Chalakee..........donation received!
22. Jangles...........donation received!
23. Flyminded.........donation received!
24. Cliff Richer........donation received!
25. R_Reese........donation received!
26. Tomsakai..........donation received!
27. Ryc72..............donation received!
28. Lacanadio.........donation received!

Thanks everyone for donating such generous gifts to PHW and CFR. I'm closing this year's donation drive and will be forwarding the flies and fly fishing gear to PHW/CFR.

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
Larry,
Last year Scoutm sent me a patch of moose hair and asked that I donate some flies to PHW or another such group. I finished a couple of dozen midges and have been stalling on the box to send them in. I was all over the local PHW site but couldn't find a contact number so's to hand them off. Send me an address and I'll send the flies and the rest of the moose patch. Just make sure Scout m gets credit. PM on the way. -John

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,
Last year Scoutm sent me a patch of moose hair and asked that I donate some flies to PHW or another such group. I finished a couple of dozen midges and have been stalling on the box to send them in. I was all over the local PHW site but couldn't find a contact number so's to hand them off. Send me an address and I'll send the flies and the rest of the moose patch. Just make sure Scout m gets credit. PM on the way. -John
Thanks everyone that has stepped up and offered to support this year's PHW donation drive, it is very much appreciated!
John, I hear you about Scoutm, he is a very good friend of mine and a strong supporter of our PHW drive in past years. Its great to hear your Pay it Forward story about the moose patch!

rc51sport

Reaction score
Although I have never served, I have extreme respect and appreciation for those who are currently and our vets.
I would love to help out! Larry, I will send you a PM later with a couple questions.

Thanks!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kevin (aka kevind62) sent in this beautiful fly vest for the PHW donation.
Kevin thanks very much for this awesome gift to our vets!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a very generous donation from rc51sport!
Thanks for thinking of our vets, it is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

bocast

Reaction score
I'd like to tie some flies for our vets. As a first time participant, where do I find the information on how to get them to the right place? Is it OK to pinch down the barbs during the tying?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

don_p

Reaction score
PM Larry, (mcnerney) he'll give you all the particulars. They're your donation, barbed or barbless, both are graciously accepted. I do barbless.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a huge donation from Idahoflyfishermn. Thanks so much for your generosity and thinking about our vets, it is very much appreciated!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is an awesome selection of winter midge patterns that were donated by JoJer:

And here is another awesome donation sent in by Wjlapier:

Thanks so much for such generous donations to PHW!!!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I received an awesome donation in the mail today, two complete fly rod outfits donated by anonymous! Thanks so much for thinking about our vets, it is very much appreciated:

plugs

Reaction score
Count me in. I'll tie up some classic style hairwing steelhead flies.
Rod A.K.A. Plugs

plugs

Reaction score
Thanks Larry,
All tied up and coming your way it tomorrow's mail 2 ea.
Max Canyons
Borden Specials
Purple Perils
Polar Shrimps
Drain's 20's
Brad's Brats
Fall Favorites
Freight Trains
Green Butt Skunks
Skykomish Sunrises
Purple Egg Sucking Leeches
Royal Coachman Bucktails