Sage Method 5wt rod

biker1usa

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Sage Method 9 foot 5 weight 4 piece rod for a real good price and am looking for some insight into what is good, or bad, about this rod. I know it is a very fast rod, which I like, but what else to know about it is what I am curious about. Thanks for any replies.
Mike

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You might get more responses to this down below in the dedicated Rod Forum. In a nutshell Methods are great rods, mine is a #6. They are the opposite of all-rounders though, highly specialized for very high line speed, super tight loops with a very crisp tip. This would be a great rod for technical dry fly work on larger rivers including from a drift boat, not so much for tossing nymph rigs with a bobber. They are a little demanding but rewarding to cast well with zero tolerance for asymmetry of stroke or off timing. This is no casual rod, it suggests engagement and is built for when every cast matters.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I'm with S&S, I like the 6wt .......and I recommend the 9'6" for extra reach.....
He is also right about it being a rod with a low tolerance for bad casters......
Of course how else are you going to get better?
Clients and myself like it up-lined at least one....
The only thing I don't like is the color. Red is for cars.......not that I would get a red car either.
As far as a low price, since it's a current model, that may not happen unless you find someone who didn't like it........
Good luck with that. Have fun with it!

Jim

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Bigfly, Since the OP is talking price, I'm sure it is due to Method having been replaced by Igniter that it is available at discount. It is indeed very red (my car is green). I've said it many times, we all like a good deal but if it is not the right product for you it is no bargain.

dillon

Reaction score
eBay - Page Not Found

I too am thinking about a 590 method (closeout priced) as big water dryfly wind rod. I'd line it with a 5wt wf Rio Gold or Cortland Modern trout. A line size heavy Rio Grande might suit it for lobbing a nymph rig.

Although it says page not found, I think the link will open.

Last edited:

mtbright

Reaction score
I have a 691 and 796, both great rods, but do take some work to get the best out of them, For closeout prices they ae a great deal. At the 5 wt i do like my X 590 and my new (old) sp 586 better as they seem to fish with out any work just effortless.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have a 691 and 796, both great rods, but do take some work to get the best out of them, For closeout prices they ae a great deal. At the 5 wt i do like my X 590 and my new (old) sp 586 better as they seem to fish with out any work just effortless.
As you have read and Dillon knows, I fished a Sage 9'/#5 Igniter a lot this season. This is a caster's rod with enormous capability when fished with a line like Cortland Modern Trout or RIO Gold#5 but one thing it is not is a feather light, gentle wand.

Bigfly

Reaction score
My bad...
Can't keep up with model changes....
I can't constantly stock current dry rod, nymph and euro, a streamer stick, as well as 2 two handers every three years......about 6 Gs w/discount...
But, I'll try to keep up....
On close out...go for it.
And, try 1wt up from rod wt. You will be pleased......unless you are fishing 60-70feet over there or more.....less than that, its like a Ferrari in first gear...you may tend to wave it, not load it.
I love mine, but hate red....I thought about painting it...ha.

Jim

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Technical casting machine. I do have and very much enjoy my 590 method. As stated by the gentleman above, this is not a causal casters rod. I prefer to match mine with an actual 5 wt line, I use Amplitude. If you are having difficulty loading the rod with your casting stroke then I might recommend up lining it but it does take away from the feel of the rods intended line weight. When you find the sweet spot in your cast for this rod it is a great pleasure to cast. Accurate and responsive but needs a controlled casting stroke. This rod will amplify your errors and will magnify your best qualities when mastered.