Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Streamer Fishing for Steelhead and Trout

Hi Scott & thank you too,

Over the years here (some years in particular) I received many private messages, even some comments on blog posts from people who said "you should write a book". As time went on these comments may have accrued to perhaps as many as 30 or 40 people. I'm not a guy to let things go to his head or to develop some heightened ego level over a compliment but if you hear the same one often enough you might begin to think people are seeing something that you don't.

I was energized by the encouraging and kind words from people so I decided I could do this. I tried a How to fish book. I worked on it for months before scrapping it, there are so many how to fish books that the redundancy of yet another was a psychological blockade for me. I still have all the text of course but the 'how to' book idea was shelved.

Then a fellow PM'ed me after reading stories I'd written here and on Salmon Fly the online magazine and he said I should consider a book of short stories...…………….. So I started a story book but soon decided that there seemed to be enough stories being published and that idea found itself on the shelf beside my how to fish efforts.

Time passed as it has a way of doing, then two winters ago I began what I considered a synthesis type of work. This being one long story from the start to the finish or whatever point I'm actually at in my lifelong education as a fly fisherman. Stories, some even entertaining but each points to what I took from the experiences. So each winter I try to quit splitting wood or shoveling snow for a couple weeks and settle in at that cabin I've worked so hard on for years and I try to write some more. What is it really? I think it's a story about how to learn to fish or at least how I've learned to do it. Maybe some inferences about what I found along the way other than catching fish, the things that really lasted and made me the person I think I am.The hope I have would be that it wouldn't be boring and that people may actually sit it down at the end and feel they got something other than entertainment from it.

It's harder than I ever imagined, I already have a layout editor and a publishing cost quote just in case I ever finish. There is still another trip needed back to Pennsylvania where the story starts for some more photography. I'd be the happiest guy on the planet if ever I can hold one in my hand and of course have it edited for e-book layout also for all the Kindle people

It's another winter and soon the rivers will be solid enough for me to reach the cabin, yet another chance to focus for awhile I hope.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes huronfly, ivory arrow, ejsell, duker liked this post
  3. Default Re: Streamer Fishing for Steelhead and Trout

This is a little hard to follow. So, Ard, can we assume you like streamers?

4. Likes Ard liked this post
  5. Default Re: Streamer Fishing for Steelhead and Trout

Good luck writing your book Ard. Itís a lot of work to be sure.

The only advice I would give you is to write what you want to read. Donít write it for unknown people. Write it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks Ard thanked for this post

Default Re: Streamer Fishing for Steelhead and Trout

Good luck with your book writing Ard. It would be a hoot to share one’s knowledge, stories and thoughts for others to enjoy and learn something from that at the end you could actually hold in your own hands.

I’ll admit I had to read your streamer tactic posts a couple times and watch your video 3 times before the method you described clicked.

The leader system just seemed like a lot of steps. But in the end...... I now see what you’re trying to do. I understand the pitfalls you’re trying to avoid. You’ve certainly put a lot of thought over a long period of time into your system.

ft09

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

8. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12