Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21

Default Found rod & reel

While fishing recently in the Dunsmuir (CA) area, I found a rod & reel in the Upper Sac river.

If you lost one, let me know the details and I'll get it back to you.

2. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
    Likes spm, bumble54, jayr, mcnerney, cpiercem, desmobob liked this post

Default Re: Found rod & reel

It's long and thin with a round wheel used to wind up line on the rods thickest end. Now, when can I have my rod and reel back?

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

4. Likes GlennNY, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pfetz View Post
    While fishing recently in the Dunsmuir (CA) area, I found a rod & reel in the Upper Sac river.

If you lost one, let me know the details and I'll get it back to you.
    Good on you for posting. If there are any fly shops I the area maybe let them know you have a find. Many years ago I found a Hardy 8 foot bamboo 6 weight with a Hardy LRH reel on it leaning against a tree at a takeout point on a river. I left notice with the area Orvis dealer and 5 months later I got a call. The owner had the tube so he thought he had the rod. When he started getting things ready for a fishing trip he realized that he had an empty tube and an empty reel case...………………. He called the Orvis shop in the area where he had last fished, he knew that he must have left his tackle behind last fall...…. The owner of the store called me with contact for the fellow who lived about 100 miles from me. I called him and he got his tackle back.

It may take a while to find the owner but you are doing the right thing.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Good on you for posting. If there are any fly shops I the area maybe let them know you have a find. Many years ago I found a Hardy 8 foot bamboo 6 weight with a Hardy LRH reel on it leaning against a tree at a takeout point on a river. I left notice with the area Orvis dealer and 5 months later I got a call. The owner had the tube so he thought he had the rod. When he started getting things ready for a fishing trip he realized that he had an empty tube and an empty reel case...………………. He called the Orvis shop in the area where he had last fished, he knew that he must have left his tackle behind last fall...…. The owner of the store called me with contact for the fellow who lived about 100 miles from me. I called him and he got his tackle back.

Ard: That is good advice and even better that you got that outfit back to the original owner, kudos to you!
    Larry

7. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes pfetz liked this post
    Blog Entries

Whenever this topic comes up I wonder if he remembers me whenever he uses that rod & reel. He was from somewhere south east of Allentown PA. and had pulled a canoe at that take out on Big Pine Creek up near Camel PA. You know how it can be hectic when you take out a boat or raft, even more so if you only do it once or twice a year. He leaned it against a tree and forgot about it. Credit too Tom Finkbiner and his tackle shop manager Rich Zigarski for remembering the 3 X 5 card I left with them with the info on it. When the guy finally called the shop they remembered and he got his gear back

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

9. Likes cpiercem, bocast, pfetz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post

I emailed the fly shop in Dunsmuir and let them know about the find. Thanks.

11. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

If you are really concerned I'd follow that e-mail up with a call to see if anyone is aware of it.

I was able to return the tackle I posted about because that occurred before the internet. Not to say that the internet can't get things done but back then you had to either face to face or use a phone. I had a friendship type relationship with the folks at Slate Run Orvis and the Cortland Pro Shop at Waterville PA. and had left contact info with both. I believe that the personal touch led to them remembering when they got a call after six months.

At any rate you are doing a good thing regardless of how you do the outreach. I'd go as far as to guess that there are some people who would just keep the gear and that would be that.

Good advice again Ard. I'll follow up on the phone.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

If you would like to broaden your outreach, you might try posting your find to the main Kiene's Fly Shop Forum, that board is primarily a NorCal board. Bill Kiene who still monitors the board has deep roots and a solid contact list for the Upper Sacramento area.

Dave

15. Likes pfetz liked this post