Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: rod length

1. Default rod length

anyone else prefer a 8ft. 9in. rod to a 8.5 ft. or a 9ft. rod. or maybe its just me.

Default Re: rod length

It depends on the individual rod but, yes, 8'9" is a length I like. Scott and Douglas each make an 8'8", T&T and Burkheimer have had 8'9" rods at least recently. My old Sage LL is this length and, in 1984 my favorite rod was an Orvis Western 8'9"/#5 but they haven't made such a nice rod since and mine is broken.

3. Likes silver creek, mcnerney liked this post

I have one 8'9" rod, also from the '80s
    But it's only that size 'cuz it's been through the wars, having been rebuilt 3 times
    It's a 2 piece 8wt with the butt section from the original 9' blank
    The replacement tip section would have been for a 8'6" rod, but hey... that's what fit.
    It's on it's third grip and second reel seat.
    Third set of guides, of course
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

For trout with graphite, I used to own and fish mostly 9-footers. In the last 10-15 years, I've re-developed a liking for the 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 footers, and prefer 7 1/2 over 8 1/2. I think it came back to me when I started fishing my older fiberglass rods more, which were all 7 1/2 footers. Now I like the short graphites too! When I pick up one of my 9-footers, it feels like a telephone pole. In graphite, I'm using my Sage Lightline 7' 11" 4 wt a lot (4711), and I have one of every LL series including the precious 389. I love the Orvis Far and Fine that's a 7'9" 5 wt. Have some other "shorter" ones too. Those lengths have decreased casting fatigue (somehow?), increased accuracy, let me cast easier to closer rising fish, yet not affected any distance I may need to cast. Some clown a few years back told me shorter rods "put me at a big disadvantage" on larger rivers like the Henrys Fork and Missouri. I don't think so. I can cast, mend, and do anything I need to do with a 7 1/2 footer, and for me easier and more smooth than with a 9.

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  8. Default Re: rod length

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. My shortest rod is 9', and I'm much more likely to be using a 9'6" or 10' rod. I love the added reach. Obviously not for everyone but it gives me a huge advantage on my waters.

9. Likes mcnerney, pfetz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by clouserguyky View Post
    ... and I'm much more likely to be using a 9'6" or 10' rod. I love the added reach.
    I've been gravitating toward 10-footers, too.

I built a 10' 5 wt. Sage ONE in the spring and used it for salmon this fall. While I could always cast across the rivers I fished, the 10' length made it easier.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

11. Likes mcnerney, clouserguyky liked this post

In actujality I'm a multi-length rod enthusiast. I have singlehanded rods up to 10' but they ae #'s 7 and 8 for steelhead/Atlantic salmon line mending. I do have a 9 1/2'/#6 streamer rod. However for dry fly 4-weights I have 7 1/2' DART, 8' Orvis Western, 8 1/2' ONE and 9' fast NRX and med. fast SKY. Please some rod designer, build a great 8'9"er and I'll get it too. I don't fish any rods that don't cast and fish well and accurately. I select from my kit length and line weight based on habitat and technique...sometimes, mood. I've been fishing the heck out of 8 1/2'/#5 X the last couple of seasons just because it is fun.

13. Likes mcnerney, clouserguyky liked this post