Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euro Nymph Rod

Default Re: Euro Nymph Rod

My questions for you all have to do with rod performance vs. economics. I got into fly fishing just a few years ago, and all the reviews about high end general purpose rods were about light weight (incl. swing weight), casting accuracy and distance, sensitivity and flex performance. There was a lot of "you get what you pay for" advice when promoting $700+ rods.

However, with EN I see people adding heavy reels for balance, all the casts are fairly close range, etc., and I see famous guides promoting (getting sponsored by) sub- $250 rods. I'm wondering if for this style of fishing, the high-ends rods do not offer any appreciable advantage over the low-cost rods.

Thoughts?
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

I think the short answer is; start building your own rods then you can build a high-end rod at the cost of a mid-end

In my experience higher-end EN rods do have advantages (like you mentioned):
    - Lighter weight blanks with quicker damper.
    - More durable, lighter weight hardware (guides, tip-tops, reel seats).
    - Better workmanship; just compare the epoxy job on a high end vs. lower end.
    - etc.

This does translate into a "better" rod; lighter to balance, quicker to gain control over drifts, etc..
    Does this translate into justifying spending an extra $300 - $500? I guess that depends on serious you are about EN and how often you plan to employ it.

I also don't think all lower-end rods are equal.
    For example, I was just reading some reviews on a lower-end rod and multiple reviewers were stating the rod snapped very easily; like when fighting a 14" trout. On the other hand, I've used and have read many good things about some other lower-end EN rods.
    I think if one does their homework, ensures the rod has a warranty, etc. a very decent EN stick can be purchased in the lower-mid end.
    Nothing wrong with a natural progression of testing the water with lower end gear and seeing where it takes you; perhaps a higher end rod later on.

On the sponsorship of famous guides by lower-end rod companies; I think that's a totally different story and doesn't necessary reflect/relate to the quality for the rod.

Just my $0.02.

3. Likes jonbo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by yikes View Post
    My questions for you all have to do with rod performance vs. economics. I got into fly fishing just a few years ago, and all the reviews about high end general purpose rods were about light weight (incl. swing weight), casting accuracy and distance, sensitivity and flex performance. There was a lot of "you get what you pay for" advice when promoting $700+ rods.

However, with EN I see people adding heavy reels for balance, all the casts are fairly close range, etc., and I see famous guides promoting (getting sponsored by) sub- $250 rods. I'm wondering if for this style of fishing, the high-ends rods do not offer any appreciable advantage over the low-cost rods.

Thoughts?
    Man, you have nailed one of my questions about these rods. I had a Sage ESN, which I sold. I tight-lined with a Scott G2 after getting rid of that, and I actually preferred it. The G2 is also a fishing rod, not a one-trick pony, but it is supposedly a bit short for tight-line techniques. If I had a 10' rod with that action, it would be ideal. A buddy uses a Scott Radian 1004 for everything, including Euro techniques, and he owns a Sage ESN which does not now get fished.

I wonder if we won't look back in 5-10 years with some of these rods and ask ourselves what we were thinking, and some of these rods don't go the way of the do-do bird.

5. Likes rsagebrush liked this post

Not trying to dismay el jefe's suggestion, but as I understand the action on that ESN is fairly "slow" for a EN style rod, so may be part of the reason folks refer to it as a one trick pony. I've never tried it though. I do know that I can cast just about anything with my EN rod including streamers, floating rigs, dries, etc. up to about 40' give or take, but doesn't mean I'll grab my EN rod for a stillwater day.

A fly rod is just another tool and we've all heard the saying "use the right tool for the job". Sure I can drive a trim nail with my 3lb sledge, but my 20oz trim hammer does the job much more effectively.

To that end I don't really see EN specific rods going away as long as folks are fishing tight-line techniques. There'll always be another rod that can do the job, but a rod designed specifically for the task will most often out perform a one that's not.

Quote Originally Posted by reels View Post
    Not trying to dismay el jefe's suggestion, but as I understand the action on that ESN is fairly "slow" for a EN style rod, so may be part of the reason folks refer to it as a one trick pony. I've never tried it though. I do know that I can cast just about anything with my EN rod including streamers, floating rigs, dries, etc. up to about 40' give or take, but doesn't mean I'll grab my EN rod for a stillwater day.

A fly rod is just another tool and we've all heard the saying "use the right tool for the job". Sure I can drive a trim nail with my 3lb sledge, but my 20oz trim hammer does the job much more effectively.

To that end I don't really see EN specific rods going away as long as folks are fishing tight-line techniques. There'll always be another rod that can do the job, but a rod designed specifically for the task will most often out perform a one that's not.
    Pretty fair point, Reels. There may always be a place for the EN rods. I do think that there are a lot of people who have purchased the rods and tried the technique, and it wasn't all they thought it would be, for various reasons: it's a one-trick pony; the technique itself is unsatisfying; like Yikes they don't see the need for a pricey rod for flinging nymphs all of 15'. I do think the market for these rods is going to shrink, and that we will see more fishing rods that can nymph, rather than nymph rods that can fish. And I think the manufacturers are still figuring this out, both from a market standpoint and a rod design standpoint.

8. Likes reels liked this post

A new market niche and manufacturer's will try to fill it, it makes them money and they would be foolish not to do so.
    I was tightlining in the 80's in Cheesman canyon with a Scott 906/4 (still a lovely rod by the way) using size 14 scuds when almost everyone else insisted on size 18-20 RS2's and getting up to 30 fish a day. It was a heady time, I guess I don't know what I missed out on.
    I now own an original ESN 10' 2wt, it casts dries OK too with a 4 or 5 wt line, I purchased it used. Also a Seele (McFarland) 10'4" 4wt which does both spectacularly well. But I still do it with that old 6wt quite a bit and have a good time. For the water I fish I kind of like the shorter fly rods, if 9 foot is short.

10. Likes el jefe liked this post

For those of you who wander over to the Tenkara forum on this site, there's occasionally discussions about using Tenkara for Euro Nymphing. I've already used my TUSA Rhodo for EN, but from a recent thread in the Tenkara forum, I also just picked up an 18' long rod for 23 bucks.

I've played with it in the back yard, and it is a somewhat heavy beast, probably a two-hander. For all I know, it could turn out to be just a novelty - but at that price, I couldn't resist, and I can't wait to try it across some of our rivers in the Sierra!
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123