Lessons learned. My first season of fly fishing for trout

Martin53

Reaction score
So this was my first fly fishing season. Had always been curious about it but finally took the plunge. I knew absolutely nothing about flies, rods, line, knots, leaders, casts, mending and etc. I was completely overwhelmed at first. But have spent enough time researching and watching YouTube videos that I am becoming comfortable with it. My casts still suck part of the time. And I have had to relearn things. I discovered better techniques than the ones I originally learned. I learn something new every time I fish. The biggest takeaways for me so far. Should have bought a good outfit to begin with instead of a budget combo. Gotta practice and know how to tie all those knots. Wasted money on flies I will never use. I have learned, and settled on about 10 each flies and nymphs that are known to work. At this point, as a beginner, I am trying to keep it simple. Just get better at the casts and techniques I know and that have worked for me. I can add other stuff as I gain more experience. Biggest regret is I didn't start fly fishing years ago. Great to have such a valuable resource as this forum. I read a lot, but this is only my second post. Cheers.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Martin

Your post was very insightful, glad you enjoyed your first season and learned a lot. I often tell people new to the sport to look around and try to find a mentor with a local fly shop, a Trout Unlimited Chapter or fly fishing club. Having an experienced angler can make the learning curve into fly fishing much quicker. I've been fly fishing since the early 80's and like you the one thing I find fascinating is the learning, there is always something new to learn. I also like your approach on your limited fly selection, that is a smart way to get started. Good luck!

flytie09

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story. Yours is common to us all. We all struggled early on. It gets easier with practice and time on the water I assure you.

But it’s a wonderful sport that will reveal itself in little ways that are magical. For as long as you so choose to partake in the sport.

silver creek

Reaction score
So this was my first fly fishing season. Had always been curious about it but finally took the plunge. I knew absolutely nothing about flies, rods, line, knots, leaders, casts, mending and etc. I was completely overwhelmed at first. But have spent enough time researching and watching YouTube videos that I am becoming comfortable with it. My casts still suck part of the time. And I have had to relearn things. I discovered better techniques than the ones I originally learned. I learn something new every time I fish. The biggest takeaways for me so far. Should have bought a good outfit to begin with instead of a budget combo. Gotta practice and know how to tie all those knots. Wasted money on flies I will never use. I have learned, and settled on about 10 each flies and nymphs that are known to work. At this point, as a beginner, I am trying to keep it simple. Just get better at the casts and techniques I know and that have worked for me. I can add other stuff as I gain more experience. Biggest regret is I didn't start fly fishing years ago. Great to have such a valuable resource as this forum. I read a lot, but this is only my second post. Cheers.
Hi Martin,

I'm glad you posted.

I think this forum is just wonderful and full of information. However, it is so full of information that a new fly fisher can be overwhelmed.

What I find is that it is possible for a newbie to get lost. Information is presented, for example a specific question is asked and answered, but a newbie may not understand where this information would fit in a systematic presentation of fly fishing. So information is gained piecemeal without a general context of where it logically fits in the larger scheme of fly fishing. Some posts may be very clear to some readers but not to others.

So what I would suggest to you as newbie is to go to a library to check out some general books on fly fishing and also look at some books that may be more specific. The entire subject of fly fishing is huge. Get yourself a 3 ring binder and tab organizers and make categories of subjects. Or you can do this digitally to organize posts under headings. The reason I say to check out a book is that the author has already organized the book by subject and probably better than you could as newbie.

Then as you read posts or even you tube videos or on articles, organize them in the you digital or physical notebook. I think after a year, you will find that this will help you to actually remember and use the information you have read.

CalFlyFishGuy

Reaction score
This is my first full year as well, and I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. I think for people just starting it's super easy to get overwhelmed.

My advice for people starting out would be to not get totally bogged down in the minutiae (or maybe that's just me), but get a book or two and watch a you tube video or two and get out there. I learn way more being on the water after reading a bit or watching about it. It makes a ton more sense doing after you've read a bit about it. I'm spoiled that I've got a great club near me, so take advantage of anyone who has good experience and will share it with you :).

That and practice your knots when you aren't on the water, so you don't waste time when you are on the water. Knot proficiency will really make your day better. Once I got better at knots, I was happier to switch things out and try new ones.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll just welcome both of you guys to the forum, to posting on the forum too.

CalFlyGuy, I learned from a book and I'm always happy to see that someone is still using those relics in this age.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Same here Martin! Glad to hear you're enjoying it as I am too. Definitely frustrating at times but I'm really loving everything so far. Just wish I had more time to fish and some better water closer to me (I have a few rivers/brooks so it might be more my fishing/presentation than the waters). Tight lines!

karstopo

Reaction score
There have always been the books and that’s a great resource. Don’t neglect things like YouTube and the great content on websites like In the Riffle, Midcurrent, Sexy Loops, Orvis. The people that have written some of the books are there in living color and HD demonstrating techniques and ideas. Some of the group presentations from the most famous names in fly fishing are available on YouTube and the websites and you can attend from the comfort of your easy chair.

I often learn better by watching others do it in a video feed and then trying to mimic more than reading about some aspect of a cast or presentation being presented in a chapter and verse form in a book.

As an example, I would never be able to repair a washing machine reading about how to do it in a book. Put a YouTube out on it and it’s a snap. Same thing on replacing a smart phone screen. The way I learned to cast was repeatedly watching a dvd of Chico Fernandez, a YouTube by Bill Gammel, and others on video demonstrating casting. I had a book that I read by Lefty Kreh on casting and that got me no where.

We all learn in different ways.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Martin and CalFly, welcome to the forum and the world of fly fishing!

I've been at fly fishing for quite some time and am at no loss for new things to be learned. Certainly don't be at all shy to ask questions on this forum!

:welcomean

Denny

darkshadow

Reaction score
I remember that fun and memorable ride along the learning curve my first year in fly fishing.

Obviously, time on the water was indispensable, but there were a few basic books that got me pointed in the right direction, especially for the non-common sense type of items.

I too wish I could've tested a lot more outfits, instead of going for a low end (albeit, reputable brand) rod, as I soon found out my newb casting style lent more for a medium type rod, instead of the faster one that I was flogging the water with.

I learned that "Match the Hatch" was relative, and as long as my presentation was good, and the silhouette of my pattern (size, shape, etc) was similar, most fish were eager to go. I learned picking up a pair of solid search patterns in a few different sizes, rather than picking up a dozen of some obscure pattern in one size, because it came recommended. That lead me to...

Learn a more minimalistic approach to the water. 19 fly boxes, with 5000 flies, 4998 that won't eve see the water? 15 zingers with attachments of all shapes and functions? I could've performed stream side surgery on a person with a busted appendix, yet I wasn't catching any more fish.

I learned how to utilize Google Maps and Earth to determine access, and to find 'fishy' sections of a river or stream.

Learned why the phrase '95% of the fish live in 5% of the water' existed, and parlayed that into making more accurate presentations and making all my casts mean something. Making 1 cast that lands in the correct place, is better than making 100 that don't.

It only gets better from here, especially once you start getting confidence in your presentation and your fly selection. It definitely helps having a few tugs here and there with fish in the net to encourage trying to learn more, and there are resources every where, including this awesome forum.

Good fishing!

JDR

Reaction score
Welcome both of you to the best forum on fly-fishing. Your experiences mirror mine about three years ago. I can only give you encouragement to stay with it, and get on the water as often as you can.

smoke33

Reaction score
There have always been the books and that’s a great resource. Don’t neglect things like YouTube and the great content on websites like In the Riffle, Midcurrent, Sexy Loops, Orvis. The people that have written some of the books are there in living color and HD demonstrating techniques and ideas. Some of the group presentations from the most famous names in fly fishing are available on YouTube and the websites and you can attend from the comfort of your easy chair.

I often learn better by watching others do it in a video feed and then trying to mimic more than reading about some aspect of a cast or presentation being presented in a chapter and verse form in a book.

As an example, I would never be able to repair a washing machine reading about how to do it in a book. Put a YouTube out on it and it’s a snap. Same thing on replacing a smart phone screen. The way I learned to cast was repeatedly watching a dvd of Chico Fernandez, a YouTube by Bill Gammel, and others on video demonstrating casting. I had a book that I read by Lefty Kreh on casting and that got me no where.

We all learn in different ways.
I’m with you here. I need to physically see something then try it to fully understand something. Books and reading are good but everyone has their own learning style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin53

Reaction score
This is my first full year as well, and I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. I think for people just starting it's super easy to get overwhelmed.

My advice for people starting out would be to not get totally bogged down in the minutiae (or maybe that's just me), but get a book or two and watch a you tube video or two and get out there. I learn way more being on the water after reading a bit or watching about it. It makes a ton more sense doing after you've read a bit about it. I'm spoiled that I've got a great club near me, so take advantage of anyone who has good experience and will share it with you :).

That and practice your knots when you aren't on the water, so you don't waste time when you are on the water. Knot proficiency will really make your day better. Once I got better at knots, I was happier to switch things out and try new ones.
I admit that learning the various knots was a challenge. I did as you suggested and have practiced a lot. Like you say, no use wasting time on the water. At first I was using a lot of 4 letter words. But eventually got the hand of the knots I need.