Insulating layer under waders

fisherman416z

Reaction score
I'm just getting geared up for fly fishing again after a break of 10 years. I will be using a breathable wader and 200 gram merino wool base layer (next to skin).

I am looking for suggestions of insulating layers to wear over the merino wool bottoms for both fall/spring and secondly for winter. I hope to spend time in the Rocky Mountain West, Canadian Rockies and Alaska in the future. What has worked well for you?

Last edited:

cwb124

Reaction score
I have typically just done a merino wool base layer and a pair of quick dry hiking/camping pants and then my waders. In really cold water you can get a pair of fleece pants to put on but they are bulky and may not fit right under the waders.

For feet, I use a sock liner and then a pair of merino wool socks. My feet seem to bear the brunt of the cold water more than my legs, so I focus a lot on keeping my feet warm.

plecain

Reaction score
Same for me. Just a pair of light nylon pants over the underwear.

Feet are what gets cold first. Usually they get cold because I have on too many socks. I learned that lesson the hard way. Now I just wear one pair of medium-heavy merino socks inside the bootie.

brownbass

Reaction score
I have typically just done a merino wool base layer and a pair of quick dry hiking/camping pants and then my waders. In really cold water you can get a pair of fleece pants to put on but they are bulky and may not fit right under the waders.

For feet, I use a sock liner and then a pair of merino wool socks. My feet seem to bear the brunt of the cold water more than my legs, so I focus a lot on keeping my feet warm.
I fish Missouri and my needs are the same. Follow the suggestion already given. I wear the Redington I/O Fleece Pants as well. The liner socks, wool socks, and the fleece pants have handled the cold easily. Since you will be wading and the water is 57 degrees I don't usually suffer from cold feet. Keep your upper body and head warm and that takes care of the essentials.

Bill

fisherman416z

Reaction score
Thank you for the above replies. I appreciate them!

I used to have some Simms products 15 years ago that were very durable(Guide Jacket,Guide Waders) so I called Simms earlier today for some clarification on their recent pant models since there seems to be something new coming out all the time. Some old stock still is in some of the shops etc. I've seen names like guide mid pant, simms extreme pant, Fjord pant, Fleece Midlayer Bottom etc. The rep I spoke with navigated me to their current offerings of the Fleece Midlayer bottom for Spring/Fall and their Fjord Pant for Winter (under 20 degree air temps.) Maybe other reps would have suggested other garments. One person's view.
SIMMS Fleece Midlayer Bottom | SIMMS Fishing Products
Fjord Pant - Layering - Men's - SHOP

Look forward to hearing what others have had good luck with as well.

Thank you all!

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
Good advice given here, but I would like to add the importance of good circulation in your feet. If wading boots fit tight they will cut off circulation which will lead to cold feet. Keep 'em loose, in this case...

duker

Reaction score
For fall fishing in Alaska and BC I wear Helly Hansen heavyweight polypro long johns with fleece pants over those under my waders. Never get cold. On my feet I wear thin HH polypro liner socks, with heavy wool socks over those. I also wear a thin neoprene sock over my wader booties, which gives me a bit of extra insulation and protects the booties.

S.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Like other’s have mentioned, a sock-liner, heavier (wool / poly blend sock) are good under my boots.

On my legs, I wear merino long-johns & the Orvis fleece wading pant / liner. Seems to do the trick & I’ve never been cold below the waist.

Hands are another story... :confused:

Redrock

Reaction score
I wear smart wool over the calf ski/snowboard socks. I had, can’t find, a Simms fleece uni-suit. It was great for really cold days. Usually I wear a pair of Simms fleece pants, or if the day is warmer a pair of my winter running tights. I usually fish where I can get back to the truck to take a break. I carry extra socks, and change if my feet get clammy.

JDR

Reaction score
Once we understand the body mechanisms that keep us warm, there are many ways to maximize heat retention. The first, and most important way we warm ourselves is blood circulation. The body pumps warm blood throughout your system keeping us toasty. But, if blood flow is impeded, like a boot/sock combination that is tight, blood can't flow as freely to that part of the body, and you get cold. So, always make sure that anything you wear is not too restrictive. Next, we stay warm with external layers that trap our own body heat. If you look closely at insulation you find lots of tiny gaps and air pockets. As your body produces heat, these air pockets fill up and trap the heat in the micro gaps, holding the heat that you produce, and keeping you warm. The thickness of the insulation matters as there is always an interface between cold and warm air. Too thin a garment and there isn't enough insulation to warm the air before the cold can penetrate and leach it away. Too much insulation makes you sweat.
There are two very signifiant factors that affect warmth: wind and water. Obviously with wind, heat can literally be blown away from the insulation. This is why fleece is very warm, until the wind starts to blow. Protect yourself from the wind. Wind literally blows the heat/cold interface deeper into the insulation, taking away heat.
Secondly, you cannot stay warm with wet clothes/insulation, or worse yet, water on bare skin. Sweat causes the same problem. Water pulls heat from your body. It can kill you very quickly. Cotton is probably the worst fabric you can wear if you want to stay warm.
One more thing, the brain always manipulates the body to preserve itself. If there isn't enough heat being retained to keep the whole body and brain functioning at a comfortable level, the brain, through the autonomic nervous system, restricts blood flow to the outer extremities and re-directs the blood flow (carrying heat) to the brain. That is why your hands and feet get cold before the rest of you. That is also why it is so important to wear an insulated hat in cold weather.
If you use adequate, non-binding layers of a heat trapping material and protect yourself from wind and damp, you will stay warm.

chief17

Reaction score
I normally wear a heavy Filson wool base layer and a pair of fleece pants. I'd like to get a pair of down pants for really cold days, like the Kuiu Super Down pants...but can't bring myself to spend that much

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I normally wear a heavy Filson wool base layer and a pair of fleece pants. I'd like to get a pair of down pants for really cold days, like the Kuiu Super Down pants...but can't bring myself to spend that much
Kuiu looks like a great pair of insulated pants, but I'm like you, I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.
I use a pair of mid weight long john bottoms and then over that I use an old pair of ski pants under my waders.

lookard

Reaction score
My wife got me a montbell down pants. Its been amazing for any cold days. If you really don't want to feel cold at all, try the Goosefeet Gear Down Pants. You will look like a Michelin man outside of your waders.

bob3700

Reaction score
No one has mentioned chemical hand n foot warmers. For Winter fishing I use the inner sole type of “ hot hands” foot warmers. They are applied to my wool socks n then go into me waders. Keeps ur feet toasty warm in any weather.
One note: they don’t work if u get them wet. So no leaky waders!

markfrid

Reaction score
Like most of the MO guys who've replied, I don't usually get cold from the water - the springs come out in the mid-upper 50's year round. A good heavy-wt long john or light fleece pants with good wool socks does the trick for me, no matter the air temp. But when the air's in the 20's or below, I get sissy-hands in a hurry. After a fish or two with wet hands I'm going, "Please get off, fish..please get off! Pleeeeese!" It's been interesting to hear what you all do in parts of the country where the water starts getting into the 40's and 30's.

Mark

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Capilene and merino. Fleece on top of that for comfort and bulk. Waders should never be tight fitting whether summer for ventilation or winter for bulking up and freedom of movement without stressing seems.

Good Merino socks and never to tight in the boot for good circulation.

Hands...That's a tough one. That is where I get the coldest. I use wool gloves with liners so they come on and off easily, then a towel to dry my hands if I cannot unhook in the net with a release or quickly with my fingers. Then right back into the gloves. I have a bit of arthritis in my hands so I am hypersensitive about keeping them warm.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Capilene and merino. Fleece on top of that for comfort and bulk. Waders should never be tight fitting whether summer for ventilation or winter for bulking up and freedom of movement without stressing seems.

Good Merino socks and never to tight in the boot for good circulation.

Hands...That's a tough one. That is where I get the coldest. I use wool gloves with liners so they come on and off easily, then a towel to dry my hands if I cannot unhook in the net with a release or quickly with my fingers. Then right back into the gloves. I have a bit of arthritis in my hands so I am hypersensitive about keeping them warm.
My feet hardly ever get cold, it's my hands. I hate wearing gloves when trying to fish. Now days I have those fingerless gloves with the fold over mitts and when I can remember, I bring along some Hot Hands packets and keep them in my coat pocket.

bob3700

Reaction score
Cold hands,, I hear you. The only way I minimize the colds sting is the Simms fingerless fold over mitts with hot hands in the little wrist pouches.
Hot hands in the side zipper pockets of ur waders.
Dont know there are ever warm hands during Winter fishing but u can ease the pain.
Just make sure ur hot hands are new stock. Old stock ( year old) doesnt work to well.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I wear Merino 'First Lite' long johns, the bootfoot ones (250 weight), a thin pair of knee high wool support socks. On top a light under Armour and a 250 weight 'First Lite' zip top. My legs and feet don't really get cold and I don't fish in below freezing temperatures anyways.
If it is windy I will add a Merino vest and perhaps a waterproof fishing jacket as a windbreaker. This set up keeps me warm into the mid 20's if necessary. If I'm cold then I'd rather be doing something else anyways.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Cold hands,, I hear you. The only way I minimize the colds sting is the Simms fingerless fold over mitts with hot hands in the little wrist pouches.
Hot hands in the side zipper pockets of ur waders.
Dont know there are ever warm hands during Winter fishing but u can ease the pain.
Just make sure ur hot hands are new stock. Old stock ( year old) doesnt work to well.
This /\. I’ve always struggled with cold hands and feet. Last year I got the Simms fold over mitts, and with the warmer packets inserted into the cuff pouches my hands stay more comfortable than they ever have before.

Side note, I got the Exstream model last year-ish and one of the buttons broke recently. Simms replaced them at no charge with the newer model, which I appreciate, but the newer model “guide wind-bloc” is a step back imo. First piece of Simms gear I’ve been disappointed with. But pertaining to the thread subject they still have the wrist warmer pouch that does still work. Just poor design compared to the old one.