7.2 Earthquake;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what they are telling us here and I'm not arguing. I've been through plenty of 5 - 6.2 quakes since moving here and this was a doozy!

It was a real Dirty Harry moment when it finally stopped. Remember the original movie when the bad guy made Harry hand over his gun? Harry pulled it out and the bad guy said.......... "My that's a big one".

That was my thought as I stood in the driveway and the rolling had finally stopped! I kid you not, that is what I said.

I was at the kitchen sink washing out some cups when things got weird. I felt the tremor followed by a sound like thunder but it just kept thundering for perhaps 20 seconds or more.

By the time I had realized this was going to be worse than any other quake I've felt here things were getting scary.

The thunder continued. The chandelier over the dining table was swinging in a three foot arc. I worked as a commercial fisherman and have spent time on open ocean and can tell you that everything was rolling as if I were experiencing a continuing series of 3 foot swells fairly close as they rocked this house.

Within seconds I had moved to the very center of the home and determined that outside sounded better than the bathroom so I grabbed old Boss by the back of the neck and ran out the door.

Nancy was on the way home from Anchorage and (although I didn't know) just 5 miles away as I stood there in the drive.

There was no wind but the trees were swaying as they would under a 20 mph wind. Everything including the ground beneath my feet was rolling like I haven't sensed since the last time that big barge passed me on the Yentna River!

It seems roads out here are broken up pretty bad.

We have no need to leave the property so are sitting tight. USGS warns that there may be an equal or stronger quake this afternoon.

I have 3 cord of wood - fuel and a generator as well as 70 gallons of water so we can sit this out so long as the building remains solid. I should say solid but flexible because it was really bending with the motions of the ground here. I also have 18 bottles of Voodoo Ranger 9% IPA beer so I'm good, having one now :)

Soon as I returned inside I killed the gas. The electric was out until just ten minutes ago that's when I started this message.

If I don't check back on the thread that would be due to loss of power & internet and you'll hear about what caused that (if it occurs) on the news.

A different kind of day so far. I'm so glad I didn't leave to go fishing down on the Peninsula yesterday I can't put it in words because had I done so I wouldn't be getting home right away at all. Glen Highway is closed so the Valley is on its own.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm telling ya, I've seen them rock the cabin and this house so that they woke me from a sound sleep but this one let you know how bad things could get within the next 30 seconds.

plecain

Reaction score
Happy to hear you're OK.

The national news just now is saying that they haven't yet heard of any deaths from this. Let's hope it stays that way.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Radio has been down since it happened, now I'm tuned in and there are no reported deaths as of this time.

Believe it no not, (I can't) power is back on here at home as well as internet and TV feed.

I hit CNN and if you look at the big red arrow that points to the epicenter that spot is down by the boat launch where I put in to fish a local river. As the crow flies about 10 to 15 miles from the driveway.

I hit FOX also but they had the AK. congressional delegation talking about it from Washington...……………………

I'll be glued to radio all day and waiting to see if this is done or whatever. I have a wood fire going because I had shut off the gas feed when the power went out. Now I have to relight the furnace before we can use it again.

Pretty strange day here.

silver creek

Reaction score
Glad you are safe.

I've been through a few earthquakes, but none like you experienced. One was in Mexico many years ago while I was at a beach resort. The pool bar lights started swinging and water in the swimming pools sloshed over the edges. The airport had damage in the terminals when we flew out a few days later.

It is a weird feeling, like you cannot keep your balance when standing and being drunk, but you aren't.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW,

I have plenty of AA and AAA batteries on hand for head lamps and the little flashlight I carry in my side pocket at all times past September. I owe all the preparedness to cabin life, having spent months on end living off the grid over the past 12 years has led me to always be ready because out there this is how you live, batteries, generator and stored water.

westcoast

Reaction score
Yes, sure is a weird feeling alright. Don't forget to check the plumbing joints as well, as the stretch may have cracked something. I almost fell out of a shower once during a 6 point sway.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For all who are not up to speed on your Logarithmic Scale math, I'm no expert but once you pass 7 on the Richter Scale things go bad. It's like the Ph Scale, the difference between 5.5 and 4.0 is huge.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard

Good to hear you and Nancy are ok, that was one big earthquake. I've been through several but nothing that big.

MCHammer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you and Nancy are OK, Ard.

We had a 5.7 in San Francisco when I was a kid, and I had nightmares about earthquakes for years after that. I can't even imagine what a 7.2 would be like.

I hope your house came through it OK, as well. I imagine it's too soon for you to know.

Mike

busbus

Reaction score
Happy to hear you and your family are okay. What you wrote sounds crazy scary. I have never really been thru an earthquake here in Pittsburgh. The only one I remember was 7 or 8 years ago. It was 5.8, I think, but the epicenter was in Richmond, VA. I remember being at work engrossed in writing a program and had headphones on i thought somebody was being smart and was shaking my chair a little i turned around twice and saw nobody. It wasn't until a while later that I heard it was a "real" earthquake.

If I felt my chair wobble from a 5.8 earthquake that was 350 miles away from me, I simply cannot comprehend a 7.2 quake less than 15 miles away.

I hope to goodness that there won't be any more. Thoughts and prayers are with everybody affected. Stay safe!!

cpiercem

Reaction score
I'd be careful about turning the gas back on. It might be better to leave it off for a few days until more of the moving and grooving is over.

Stay safe and warm.

Praying the worst is over.

scoutm

Reaction score
For all who are not up to speed on your Logarithmic Scale math, I'm no expert but once you pass 7 on the Richter Scale things go bad. It's like the Ph Scale, the difference between 5.5 and 4.0 is huge.
A 7.0 quake is 100 time bigger in magnitude than a 5.0 magnitude quake and releases about 1,000 times the amount energy. So it most definitely get uglier as it goes up.

cpiercem

Reaction score
I was in the third story of an old brick school building when a 6.7 quake hit. I saw the walls open and shut repeatedly and 3 huge chimneys fell through the auditorium and walkway. (Thankfully empty) We could even see the waves go through the flat roof of the high school and ball field. If it had lasted just a little bit longer there would have been lots of deaths. As it was I think about 5 people died in that one. I can't even imagine a 7.2! Hopefully you won't get too bad of aftershocks.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The pics I've seen looked real serious Ard! I just got off work and caught the headline a moment ago. I was so pleased to see you had started a thread. I know you are prepared for Armageddon so I wasn't worried so much about the aftermath.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the messages folks :)

For all the complaining I've done regarding the poor construction of this home I've had second thoughts. It seems that a loosely tied structure may be better, I can't even find any cracks at seems where main beams tie together under sheet rock here. This is one of those artsy buildings with an 18 foot tall main ceiling that slopes to an 11 foot ceiling so there's lots of room for failure but thus far the old shack seems good to go.

lacanadio

Reaction score
Glad you and Nancy are OK, Ard. Your relating of the quake was plenty scary. Here's hoping the worst is over.