Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How Many of us do it?

Tweakers are what they are called around here. Sort of half alive, half dead humans enslaved by their addiction to crystal meth. and other substances. They serve no other master than the drugs and do what is required to obtain the funds to purchase more.

Look for bits of car window glass at the launch or parking lot. That’s a sure sign that spot is the scavenging ground of the addict. My truck generally gets ignored. It’s 20 years old, has a ding or two, and I leave nothing of value in it. The shiny, new F150s, Silverados, Tundras and Rams are the preferred quarry.

Hard to imagine how so many turn over their lives to a substance as horrible as Methamphetamine, but that’s the sad state of the world.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

2. Likes hairwing530, yikes liked this post
    Blog Entries

If I'm anywhere with my fishing stuff with me it gets locked in the cab of my truck, even if I'm just going into a store for 5 minutes.

Denny

4. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

A family friend used our ocean kayak for some surf fishing....he would paddle the bait out a few hundred yards, drop it and paddle back. He has landed more than a few 6'+ sharks.

He has the kayak in the back of his truck and in the garage of the rental unit. Gone the next morning.

Blog Entries

Good reminder, Ard. I always remove everything and lock my truck even when parked in my driveway.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

7. Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post

I have had items stolen from my car in the past, luckily not fishing gear. I personally check that anything (and I mean anything) that can be taken that is of any value is removed, or out of sight, from the truck, car or my Goldwing that is left over night or parked somewhere that I will leave it for a time. I also have seen idiots looking into my truck and have confronted them immediately and let them know that anything in there is well worth more to me than their life is to me. If they want continue looking into other vehicles and I see them I will take matters into my own hands, right then and there. Like it or not. I am quite rude to people that mean nothing to me but a quick gain for their own personal gain. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    If I'm anywhere with my fishing stuff with me it gets locked in the cab of my truck, even if I'm just going into a store for 5 minutes.

Denny
    Good thing there are no criminals here in Michigan!

10. Likes hairwing530, dennyk liked this post
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Always a good reminder for us Ard,

We travel a lot which means hotels, rarely road side motels. Bringing the valued gear into the room is just part of the program, even if it meant bringing in the 9 1/2' oars rather than locking them up in the rig. I do the same thing on cycling trips, the bike comes in the room. I know guys that have had their boats, rafts, etc. stolen, even one that took a few minutes to scout a run, who was less than a hundred yards away from his rig, in broad daylight. ( Rushing water can mask a lot of sounds )
    I've seen the aftermath of factory installed luggage racks that were sawed through to get a roof top cargo box off. If the creeps want it, they'll get it. They are better at committing crimes than any of us are at preventing them. After all, when we catch them, we send them to crime academies, where their educational opportunities can flourish. By comparison, John Q. Public gets his crime fighting tips from McGruff.
    McGruff.jpg

Money well spent.
    Dave

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

In the cab when I go to eat, just keeps the less than honest honest. Pontoons get the cable lock. True thieves will still get it plus collateral damage. Rod racks are magnets. If there are rods in them all the time, one day there won't be.

We all should have the right to protect our land and tangible property, through any force necessary. God Bless Texas!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Blog Entries

I hope you'll remember that when I say things that they are only observations and when I proffer an opinion it is not a one size fits all thing. With that said...…………….

It's possible that a contributing factor to tackle theft occurring due to items left behind that many of us have bought into the idea that in order to go fishing be it for a day or a week, we need a "quiver" of rods and a bag of reels. If and when I carry three or four rods with matching reels that would happen because I am taking 2 people fishing for whom I am supplying tackle.

When I fish alone I take one rod and sometimes 2 if I'm using the boat. Prior to this last decade or so I had never heard the expression "quiver of rods". There are some who actually believe that they need a dry fly rod - a nymph rod and a streamer rod all in tow in order to go fishing. In the extreme cases the 3 different rods also have 'back up rods' included in the gear taken along. It is possible that it is the profusion of goodies often left behind that fuels break-ins at popular locations. Possible I said.

For more years, travels, days, weeks and months than I will bore you with I traveled and fished. I had to travel because I didn't live on the banks of a blue ribbon trout river. So many times I couldn't accurately guess I went to Pennsylvania's spring creeks to fish for trout. I usually fished streamers but could be found dry fly fishing by afternoon and for sure by evening. I'm not ashamed to say that my fish catching rate had to be right up there with some famous fishermen although I was not famous. I managed those days from the pre dawn streamers through the 'can't see any longer' evening dry fly action using the same rod. Imagine that!

There was no way that after I had bought a 9 foot 5 weight in 1994 that I would haul my precious 7'9' Far & Fine long just to leave it in my truck, no way. I bought that Far & Fine in late 1979 and a 9 foot PM-10 in 1994 and when I fished they were my rods for the big spring creeks but only one of them at a time. I also have a little bamboo flea rod that was the rod for tiny brooks and when I fished the brooks I took the flea only.

My means to avoid loss is to prevent the possibility as best I can

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

15. Likes triggw, bocast liked this post

I've been lucky so far. I use to have a 4 door truck. I left a lot of gear and tackle in there all the time on the back seats. Even though the truck is locked, it doesn't take much to break a window,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast