Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Default estaz egg flies....

ive seen estaz egg flies for sale mainly targeted at salmon and steelhead fisheries. wondering how common they are and how effective vs more common egg patterns. ive never fished them myself but wondering if anyone uses them for trout fishing as well. thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: estaz egg flies....

They will work on stillwater's, not sure about streams.

Larry

3. Likes ejsell liked this post
    Blog Entries

I haven't fished for salmon/steelhead yet (with a fly rod), so I can only answer your question in regards to trout, and yes, these types of egg patterns are used for trout, or at least I've used them.

Back in the day, when I first started fishing the Ferry here in northern AZ, I fished something commonly called, "bacon and eggs," which was essentially a SJ worm and an egg pattern on a long double nymph-style rig. Being a tinker, I naturally played around with my options with both patterns, and did for a time use estaz egg patterns. I personally found that they worked best in lower light/murkier water conditions, or even just deeper water conditions. Sometimes they did work for me in high light/clear/shallow water, but I felt they didn't perform as well as a standard yarn pattern under those conditions. YMMV.

I probably have a few of those eggs left, and if I went back to the Ferry when it was overcast, or after a 'flood' discharge, or if they were running a high water flow, I'd probably give one or two a try.

I do have plans to eventually do some steelhead/salmon fishing someday, so maybe I'll tie a few more of those things though.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

5. Likes ejsell, mcnerney liked this post

Estaz and diamond braid both work very well. Both sink pretty well and when I fish them tandem with a standard egg pattern I usually get the bite on the diamond braid or estaz.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Ejsell, Diamond braid? Not sure what that is. Could you please elaborate? Or post a link?

Blog Entries

Yes the estaz single egg patterns do work on trout. I tie the pattern small on sizes 12 & 14 single egg hooks. Very good pattern for fall Brown trout, which is the only time of year I've really used them. I prefer more washed out looking colors such as cream or a faded orange.

Denny

10. Likes mcnerney, ejsell liked this post
    Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

I see some fly fisherman inserting a bright colored bead into a drab colored otter egg (a plastic / rubber type egg). It makes the egg pattern glow in the light. Its really not a fly but I hear its legal. Natural trout eggs are dense so as to stay on the bottom so some weight is probably required. However I am not a steelhead expert and only steelhead fished once.

Diamond braid or sparkle braid. I usually make a sucker spawn pattern called "crystal meth" sometime I add a bead if i'm feeling adventurous. Very quick tie and cheap. Steelhead love them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. Likes mcnerney, dennyk, karstopo liked this post

Aaaah. Gotcha. Ive fished sucker spawn flies with some success. Thanks.

15. Likes ejsell liked this post

The Bead Head Lifter is a very effective Steelhead fly and will work for trout.

17. Likes ejsell liked this post