Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
  1. Default Tie Flying with Grand Kids

Hi, Everyone
    This post is a bit unusual; but since this is the holiday season, I thought it might be fun. Lest I forget why I 'm writing this, I thought that sharing some stories about your fishing or fly tying experiences with your favorite people would be enjoyable for all of us. You could share a story from your perspective as a older person or as a young person.

Hope this post isn't too long, but I need to provide a little context for you. I am the grand daddy in this case, called “grampy.” Conner is my 8-year-old grandson, and Aurelia (“Go-Go”) is my 4 year-old grand daughter. “Go-Go” was named at birth by her brother, and I've never understood how a 4 year-old could be so perceptive at that young age. Like her mother, Aurelia is a button-pusher (both actually and figuratively). So the nickname "Go-Go" fits her.

My fly-tying with the kids is usually a one-on-one affair; but yesterday, both local grand kids asked if they could help me tie a fly. Sure, I said; let's do it!

After getting situated on my lap, we got down to business.

What kind of fly do you want to tie? … a brown and red one...

Oh, you want a shiny bead head, too?

What is this thing, grampy? That's a hair stacker; we use that to line up the hair in the tail. Sure, you can do that...

Can we make a tail with all three colors of deer fur? Gee, I don't know; guess we can do that.
    Ok, lets cut some deer hair and put it into this stacker. Now, we tap it like this... Well, we did get several colors mixed there, didn't we?

Careful, honey, those scissors are really sharp. Sure, you can help me cut. Now, be careful you don't cut that thread there... Oops, you dropped them...

Well, you get the idea here. We had a fun time and actually managed to produce a couple of “decent” flies. As you may have expected, “Go-Go” wants to charge in there and do it all. Conner, on the other hand, is a bit more cerebral and just wants me to do it at this time. We'll encourage him to try his own soon, though, I'm sure. He was wondering what happened to the hair we kept from his haircut that he wanted to use for a fly. That was another setting, when we did, indeed, tie a fly using Conner's hair.

I can hardly wait until these guys can fish with me. Conner's already doing some; and I, of course, have to try to be patient and understanding. What a blast, though! Tell us your favorite memories. Tom

2. Likes spm, fr8dog, kentuckysteve, dakotakid liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tie Flying with Grand Kids

Great story, Tom. I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Default Re: Tie Flying with Grand Kids

Tie Flying...

People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

5. Thanks tom hines thanked for this post
  6. Default Re: Tie Flying with Grand Kids

Thanks! The composite of various sites got me out of my usual patterns, which is good! Tom