Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Day Trip up to Silver Creek

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the positive reviews. Most of it just came out, had to do very little editing. Glad everyone seems to have enjoyed it, even without the pics.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post

When I lived in Albuquerque I fished the San Antonio a lot. Easy drive from the city. It's a meadow stream that eventually drops into the woods and becomes a plunge pool sort of deal. Spent many happy hours drifting hoppers by the grassy banks. First learned the hopper-dropper there.

4. Likes cpiercem liked this post

That's a great story! I have a similar story from this fall. It was the middle of October. I have a place in Greer, AZ and usually fish the White Mountain streams. I had heard of Silver Creek but never made my way there. I had a couple of buddies coming up and I wanted to make sure they caught some fish. So, I thought what the heck, let's head over to Silver Creek. We get there and there were probably 4-5 cars in the lot, so not many people there. We hiked all the way up to the catch and release section, literally to the head of the creek. There were a couple of guys fishing and not many were catching anything. There was one guy, we called him Uncle Sy, because he looked just like the guy from Duck Dynasty. Uncle Sy was about 20 yards upstream from me, the furthest fusherman upstream. About 30 minutes after arriving Uncle Sy yells over to me and asks if I could come and take a picture of a fish he has on. He said it was a "nice one." I pulled my line in and hurried over. I look down and he has about a 26-28 inch rainbow on. This is definitely the biggest trout I have seen in the White Mountains. I am stunned, I am thinking this little creek has that size fish in it! I know it is next top a hatchery but, wow! I get the picture taken and Uncle Sy releases it back. I looke dat him and said "what are you using?" He looked at me with a straight face and said "I call it my magic leather." I said, 'what????" He then asked me if I wanted a couple. If they catch that size fish, hell yes! He handed me two flies, and guess that what you call them. One was purple and the other was red. They were about 1 1/2 inches long by 1/8 inch wide tied on to a hook. I said "where did you find these?" He said he makes them. No kidding, he said he goes to Walmart and buys white leather strips (they come in white). He then cuts them into these little strips and colors them with a sharpie pen. He said fish them just like a streamer. So, on my next cast I don't catch the big lunker but pulled in this nice rainbow (by the way you don't even need waders to fish this creek).

I start pulling fish in and one of my buddies, about 20 yards downstream comes over and asks what I changed to. I just looked at him and said "my magic leather! He looked at me with a very strange look on his face. As he is standing next to me Uncle Sy yells out again and asks if we can help him take a picture. Well of course my buddy goes running over there. He then comes back with 2 magic leather flies. He puts one on and immediately starts catching fish. Our third friend is now beside himself. He had a couple on but didn't set the hook and they got off. He hasn't caught a thing. Us two using the magic leather are pulling them in on about every other cast. It was hilarious watching our buddy lose his S%*t! I finally relented and gave him the other magic leather I had. The three of us caught fish until almost dark, when we decided to make the hour drive back to Greer.

I am certainly no expert at fly fishing but this was the damnest thing I have ever seen. It was a great day and I will be going back to Silver Creek, magic leather or no magic leather.

Trout 1.jpg

Trout 2.jpg

6. Likes cpiercem liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12