Longer Nymphing Rod Question

mtboiler

Reaction score
Considering adding a new nymph rod. I currently nymph with my 9ft 5 weight St Croix Imperial. Stiff rod and works well. I nymph with a strike indicator and two nymphs, either high sticking or dead drifting.
Considering a 10ft 5 weight. But also looking at a 4wt. Just wondering if the 4wt will be to light.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Depending on fish size you target regularly I think.

I use a 10' 4wt during winter all the time on San Juan, Taylor, Gunnison, Colorado, etc..If this is the same type of water you fish I think you would love a 4wt.

In summer I step back to the shorter 5wt.. Apart from being more versatile, my 10' 4wt just doesn't offer the backbone to control large energetic fish; prolonging fight.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

goshawk87

Reaction score
It also depends on how much weight you are throwing, what size of water you are fishing on, how much wind you normally have, and what type of nymphing.

A 10ft 4wt opens up euro nymphing, and is my personal choice for the type of fishing I do. However when indicator nymphing it can only handle to about two 3.3 mm tungsten beads, which may not be enough.

If you primarily fish indicators, a 5 weight will serve you better.

I definitely prefer longer rods, I think you will enjoy either.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I think Goshwak87 nailed it.

I use a 4wt 10'-6" for high sticking, it works great. But not so good for throwing heavy indicator set-ups. The 5wt will have more back-bone for you. Best of luck with your decision.

jds108

Reaction score
I'll use a 10' 6wt when I'm fishing with a big indicator, long leader, split shot, and bead heads. I'm using a long belly weight forward line and often trying to get that rig 40 or 50 feet away from me. Going down to a 5wt drastically compromises the distance I can chuck/throw/cast that abomination. That distance is important - if I'm fishing over fish that others don't, I catch more fish.

So as others have said, make your choice based on the type of nymphing you want to do.

Best thing to do is buy both!

flickndip

Reaction score
Depending on where you fish would answer the rod weight. I will use rods anywhere from 7'6 to 11 foot when it comes to Euro Nymphing. The best all around rod is a 10'3w. I own a few of these rods and also use them as a client rods. I am big into tight lining. Even if using an indicator and eliminating line drag. If I am fishing a wide open river with smaller fish and the occasional big fish I will throw a 11'2w for the sensitivity. The way euro rods are set up is the 3 weight or 2 weight section is at the tip. They are designed this way to protect lighter tippet. You actually get a lot of backbone in these rods and have seen people land fish upwards of 30" on a 2 weight. The largest I would go with a euro set up is a 4weight. Just personal preference. If you have any questions feel free to email me. check out Soaring Eagle Outfitters in Blue Ridge and Clarksville Georgia for a rod called Syndicate. This rods is hands down one of the better rods for the price point.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Generally speaking, when a rod exceeds 9', that extra length is in the butt of the rod. There are exceptions, but this seems to be the case most of the time. For that reason, most 10' feel a little heavier than they actually are. A 10' 4 weight has a butt section comparable with many 9' 5 weights. My 10' 5 weight H3 has a butt section that is stout and strong like a 6 weight, but a delicate H3F tip. If you get into competition style rods, the jump is even more extreme. A 10' 3 weight ESN style rod has the soft tip and mid section of a 3 with a butt section of a 5.

A 10' 4 weight or a 10' 3 weight ESN style rod should in theory be able to land any fish a 9' 5 weight can land. You just need to use low rod angles and utilize that butt strength on larger fish. The extra length does take some getting used to on hook sets and net jobs, but nothing too difficult. I do the type of fishing you're talking about with 9'6" and 10' 5 weights usually.