Beginner Fly Tying Advise

Cgriff

Reaction score
Greetings all, with winter setting in and my first year of fly fishing under my belt it seems the natural progression is to spend some cold winter nights tying up some flies. I've been looking online at different kits and tools and its almost as overwhelming as fly fishing its self.

Would any of you have advise on a minimal starter setup? I hate to invest a lot of money into a setup only to find that tying isn't for me. Thinking I'd start with some simple nymphs and midges and see how I like.

Thanks for the input!

-Chris

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Chris, if you are not sure if you would like tying or not, I wouldn't spend any money except for a tying lesson. If you know anyone who ties or maybe a good fly shop in the area I'd sit down with them and ask for a lesson. This will at least get your feet wet and you can make a better decision based on how much you enjoy or don't enjoy it. Personally I enjoy tying almost as much as fishing.

If you do find yourself liking it, don't waste your money on a kit. Do yourself a favor and get good equipment and use good materials. In the long run it will wind up saving you money and time by not upgrading in the future.

Vise-Renzetti Traveler 2000
Tools- anything made by Loon or Dr. Slick

Hope you wind up enjoying it!

Denny

spm

Reaction score
Chris,
I started tying with a kit and don't regret it. Yes, a lot of the material was low-grade and I still have some of it 25 years later. But, it got me started tying. I didn't know what I wanted to tie or what fish I was targeting; I just wanted to tie. This has been debated on this forum many times. If that's what will get you started, then go for the kit. Just don't go cheap.

Having said all that, I think Denny's advice, stated above, is the best I have ever seen on this topic; "Take a tying lesson to see if you like it" before spending any more money. Most fly shops have free tying lessons and, like fly fishing in general, a lesson is definitely the way to go. Even a friend who ties, would be helpful. At that point, you would have a better idea of what you want to tie and the materials/tools you will need. Excellent advice, Denny!

Best of luck, Chris.
steve

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I too agree about taking a class or two if you can find one nearby, but if you do take a class my advice to you is learn to tie a fly or two that you fish with and has produced well for you. That's what I did, and it really builds confidence in what you're tying.

Take your time. Not everyone can tie an Adams at the same rate of speed, though we all would like to. But go as slow as you need to go, don't rush it. And don't get discouraged if your flies don't come out looking like museum quality, the fish will still take them. Start with a Pheasant tail nymph maybe; they work everywhere, or a Griffiths Gnat. Two simple flies that work great.

As for vises, there are many great vises out there these days, and they are pretty much personal preference from what I have seen. I too have the Peak vise, and it has served me very well, and I can get attachments from Cabela's if I wanted to. For a $150 vise, I am very well pleased, but there are vises that the jaws are set up a little different, height, and length, whatever.

YouTube

Tools are handy too. Get decent tools, not the cheap stuff......believe me, not a good time. It'll make you want to quit.

Cgriff

Reaction score
I too agree about taking a class or two if you can find one nearby, but if you do take a class my advice to you is learn to tie a fly or two that you fish with and has produced well for you. That's what I did, and it really builds confidence in what you're tying.

Take your time. Not everyone can tie an Adams at the same rate of speed, though we all would like to. But go as slow as you need to go, don't rush it. And don't get discouraged if your flies don't come out looking like museum quality, the fish will still take them. Start with a Pheasant tail nymph maybe; they work everywhere, or a Griffiths Gnat. Two simple flies that work great.

As for vises, there are many great vises out there these days, and they are pretty much personal preference from what I have seen. I too have the Peak vise, and it has served me very well, and I can get attachments from Cabela's if I wanted to. For a $150 vise, I am very well pleased, but there are vises that the jaws are set up a little different, height, and length, whatever.

YouTube

Tools are handy too. Get decent tools, not the cheap stuff......believe me, not a good time. It'll make you want to quit.
Great video, thanks!!!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Our club offers a beginner fly tying class that starts up soon after the first of the year.
I'm sure other clubs do as well.

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
A couple of suggestions. Learn to tie the flies that you normally would use. Fish with the flies. The first flies that you tie may not look the greatest, but you will find the fish still take them and over time your tying skills will improve.

satyr

Reaction score
Also, when you start tying, even if you want a size 18 start with a size 12 or so. This will allow you to more easily produce a decent fly and one you are competent at that size try the next one down. The smaller the fly the harder it is to tie, to an extent.

bumble54

Reaction score
Good advice, as always, but please do practice the basics before jumping in with both feet, it will save a lot of frustration and get you away a lot quicker.
Practice half hitches, whip finish, catching in the thread at the beginning(easy to tell, hard for a beginner to understand sometimes), winding hackles and dubbing fur/hair onto the thread before embarking on a tying bonanza. Proportions will catch you out at first and always remember, one good turn of silk/thread properly placed is a thousand times better than a dozen bad ones.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I am going to respectfully dis agree......
The cheapo kits and accompanying vise are a waste of money.
The vise will break, and the materials are silly.
I never used them........
Kick down for a nicer vise, and then buy the materials for the flies you will fish....
As some one said, tie midges because they work, and are a great starting fly.
If I ended up tying, it can't be that hard to do!
Have fun.

Jim

Tanker

Reaction score
I started tying about 15 yrs ago, I was given a kit for Christmas. The vise almost caused me not to like tying. I struggled with it off and on for a year. I purchased a new Renzetti vise and a good bobbin and it was the best investment I ever made for tying. Since then I upgraded most of the tools. So my advice is if you go with a kit be prepared to buy a better vice. If you don't have a place to take a class on tying or a friend. Look into some DVDs. I bought some step by step DVD that I think helped a lot.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Check local clubs like Rip stated. Ours also puts on a beginners class. One on one instruction. All you need is $10 and to be there. And you get to keep those beauties. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

smoke33

Reaction score
I was in this situation with my son as my original thread was linked in the first post. I think the advice of lessons should be listened to as even the best videos and pictures are not always easy to follow, can’t answer questions or give advise.
As far as the kits go, I have a different take. I bought my son a starter vise for $25. He quickly lost interest not knowing what supplies he needed or what he should use for different flies. I strongly feel had I bought him a kit, all the actual supplies and only what he needed would be in the kit with and laid out for each type of fly taking the guesswork out of things. A kit would simplify things and make it somewhat dummy proof. As you get to know your tools you can then upgrade to better ones. You don’t know what you need until you learn what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redrock

Reaction score
Sign up and take a class before doing anything! Just like a casting lesson or a day on the water with a competent guide, lessons will certainly enhance your enjoyment. Nothing like hands on explanation and guidance.

I would buy a nice used Renzetti or Regal vice off of eBay. I prefer a pedestal, but some prefer a clamp.

I prefer Renzetti tools and a Matarelli style whip finisher. I like scissors I can wear on my right hand while I tie. My short list would be: scissors, bobbin, whip finisher, hackle pliers, hackle gauge for the stem of the vice, bobbin threader and needle tool. Other tools such as a dubbing loop tool, stackers, lamp, wax, wing cutters, will come as you progress.

Your instructor may differ, but I would start with a single pattern you will actually use, such as a wooly bugger. Obtain a pattern recipe and only buy the materials you need to tie that pattern. It is a waste of money to buy a generic box of materials. The money, initially, is in the vice. Long term, the money is in the materials.

As for actual tying advice: 1) focus on thread tension and placement; 2) proportion, proportion, proportion; 3) don’t crowd the head; 4) tear the fly apart until you are satisfied (one good fly at a time).

karstopo

Reaction score
I started with an Orvis kit way back when. It came with a book with recipes and the tools and materials necessary to tie the patterns in the book. I tied a couple of flies and then set aside the kit for years.

When I really started to fly fish a lot, that’s what compelled me to want to tie more. For me, it was the fishing that fed the desire to tie. The more I fish, the more I need to and want to tie.

Just about any vise should be able to hold a hook. Some do it better than others and are easier to set up and have fancier features like a rotary function. I’m on my third vise now, A Renzetti, and I like it as the easiest to secure the hook with minimal adjustments.

Most people that fly fish do not tie their own flies. There was a thread here about this a while back that had the number at 85% that don’t tie.

How into fly fishing are you? If you are a busy person with career/work and family demands on time and only casually fish, then does it make sense to sink the money and time into fancy fly tying materials and tools?

I know at least some of the responses you’ve received are from fly fishing guides or retired people who are either professionally committed to fly fishing or might have a lot of time on their hands. I have a fairly flexible schedule and would describe my work schedule as more part time and my kids are mostly grown up.

Will you have time to tie might be the most important question to decide?

Cgriff

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, sound advise from all! Really appreciate the advise! I'll be doing some research on vises today, I like the cost of the Peak rotary vise but I really like the the way the jaws of the vise clamp in the Regal. Like a kid in an expensive candy store!