Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: What was your first rod/reel setup?

Bass Pro Shops White River combo. Was 9 ft but is now just a little over 8ft because I kept breaking off the tip.

When I was probably 14 or 15 got a Martin fly fishing combo for Christmas, I think it came from KMart. It was probably a 6/7 weight and had a tuna can reel. Not sure about the line but it was probably a level line. I used it for a while and somehow caught an 18 inch smallmouth that was my personal best smallie for quite a long time on a royal coachman while fishing for stocked trout in a local stream. Other than that I only managed to land a few chubs and one brookie that was probably 4 inches and eventually gave up on it and went back to spinning gear.

Twenty years later I decided to give fly fishing another try. My first setup the second go around was a 9 4wt Classic Trout with an Orvis Battenkill II spooled with Rio Gold. My first time out with it I managed to land a few small wild browns.

I still have the handle and reel from my very first - but the fibreglass rod is long missing. It was about four foot long from memory and was last seen serving as a mic stand in 1975.
    This was a Woolworth's coarse fishing kit my father bought in about 1966/67 when I was four or five and he first took me fishing. It was the earliest I can remember doing something with only him, my elder brother being elsewhere that day. We went to a small park in Bristol, he set it up and added a worm, then cast .... and we waited .....

I still remember the brownish water and the wee float bobbing on the light waves. My enthusiasm was just beginning to wane when the float was drawn under once .... twice! My dad lifted the rod and reeled in a perch! That was it for me. This strange, spiky, beautifully coloured creature exposed an entire world unknown to me, existing unseen beneath the mud-stained, glassy surface. It was a few years before I caught my own first fish but from that moment on I thought of myself as 'a fisherman'. It was a defining moment for me, really, so I've kept the remaining pieces to remind me of where it all began over 50 years ago:

1-P1030190.JPG

The rubber 'O' rings which originally held the reel are now long perished, the masking tape dry and brittle, but I like it like that. It sits on a shelf with some finer tackle around it, a grounding influence when I see more beautiful gear I don't really need but want on a whim and a reminder of everything that one, single day with Dad has engendered since.

Mine was a Garcia 9 glass rod (full flex). Coupled with a south bend oreno automatic reel. Good for panfish and bass, circa 1968.

5. Default Re: What was your first rod/reel setup?

My first fly outfit was a Fenwick HMG 8 1/2' 7 wt rod with a 1495 Pflueger Medalist reel, circa 1980.

Wildwater 6.5 foot tall rod 3 weight rod combo for 89 bucks

I got my first outfit in 1967. It was a Cortland 8 wt. fiberglass rod, single action click & pawl reel, and a level fly line.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyF View Post
    Bass Pro Shops White River combo. Was 9 ft but is now just a little over 8ft because I kept breaking off the tip.
    My white river 9' 8wt didn't last more than one cast haha. It was worth the fish though!
    Danny

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456