Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need a New 10' Fly Rod

I got the approval for a new rod on a budget. I nymph fish with an indicator or high sticking 90% of the time. I am down to the St Croix High Stick Drifter or the Echo 3. Both 10' and both 5wts. Anyone ever use one of these? Or have another rod idea in the $350 to $450 range?
    Thanks
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

Default Re: Need a New 10' Fly Rod

Get a 6wt, instead of a 5 if this is going to be a dedicated indicator rig- it will handle the weight with a lot less effort, and any presentation advantage a 5wt holds over a 6 is of no benefit while fishing subsurface anyway. If you haven't nymph fished with a 6wt, you will be surprised at the difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes rsagebrush liked this post

We have a 10' 4wt on sale...

Phenom — Taylor Fly Fishing
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

I have been agonizing over the same purchase. The rod I will be purchasing is the Orivs Recon in 10 ft 5 wt. Unfortunately there are no fly shops where I live so choices had to made from whatever info I could find on the internet. I did contact Trident Fly Fishing for guidance and the Recon is what was recommended for my needs - nymphing rivers and lakes.

Recon is a nice rod- but fragile. Keep your ducks in a row on the warranty. Everyone I know who owns one loves theirs, but has broken it at some point.

I have 2 Recons and my bro-law has 2. None of these rods have broken nor even given us any reason to believe they will. I've caught some decent rainbows on my 10' 3wt and never worried about breaking it.

I'm not sure how a rod would let you know it was going to break- they tend to just do it all at once. If you want a reference on the issue, listen to Gary Loomis on April Vokey's podcast when he talks about rod development, weight and removing resin from a rod during development- and knowing when to stop. It's pretty interesting. The Recon is generally lighter than other rods of similar size and line class-

9. Default Re: Need a New 10' Fly Rod

In that price range, I recommend the Recon as well. I'd go with the 10' 5 weight. If you're able to spool up a couple different lines, the 10' 5 will be extremely versatile. You can even fish euro/mono systems on a good 10' 5 weight. If you're willing to sacrifice 6", the 9'6" #5 Sage Pulse is great too. Check out the Scott Flex too, but look into both the 9'6" and 10' if you can, because I'm told the 10' rods have softer actions than most Flex rods.

Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

I'm going to buy a Maxcatch 11ft 3wt and use the rest of the money for gas and lodging . I have others from them and they are great rods but don't have the Sage, Orvis , T&T decal or price tag on them .

I have a Mystic M series 10'.3" 6 weight, very nice. I also have a Seele 10'5" 4 weight, really really nice.
    The Mystics are currently on sale for $299.00, that would be a hard deal to beat. I got mine on sale last year and have been very satisfied with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast