Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Identifying a Scott San Fran era graphite rod

Any Scott Fly Rod experts here?

I acquired a Scott G855, 5 wt, 2 pc rod last year. It's an earlier rod, but I'm not sure if it's a San Fran era vs. an earlier Montrose, CO rod.

Blank inscription reads "G855-35-5125"
    Tip section inscription read "5-5125"

It's fitted with a half-wells grip with varnished cork winding check, an uplocking reelseat with black aluminum fittings and dark cocobolo filler. Wraps are a red-orange-rust color. Another unique feature it has two agate-like stripper guides.

Can anyone help me identify when/where it may have been made?

Default Re: Identifying a Scott San Fran era graphite rod

Hi docbluedevil,

I can't help you at all. I think your best bet is to Email Scott and ask them the question. This link will take you to a page with an Email link to Scott.

Frank

Do you have the original tube? I think the SF rods had something on the tube.

4. Default Re: Identifying a Scott San Fran era graphite rod

Actually, I got my answer.

There are a couple of San Fran era G-series rods on ebay right now that are built exactly the same as mine. Go figure!

One of the ebay rods has an original rod tube that does say San Francisco.

The original owner of my San Fran era rod bought this fairly early in Scott graphite history and recalled that the rod came in some type of cardboard/fiber tube from the factory and had a aluminum case made for it for better protection.

I came across this on the internet:

[As famed outdoor writer Thomas McGuane stated in his book The Longest Silence: "I have an eight-and-a-half foot Winston for a number-five line, a rod I've followed throughout its evolution of materials. This one is of IM6 graphite and in my view is the five-weight trout rod against which all others are measured, although the Scott of the same size is right in there. These are the best for the small freestone rivers of the kind that I often fish." (The Longest Silence, (2001) Vintage Books, p. 265)]

I would have to agree with Mr. McGuane, the early 8'6" 5 wt G-series rod is one sweet rod. I'd also agree with the 8'6" Winston IM6 as well!

Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree completely. I've owned early IM6 Winstons and early G Scotts. Very sweet casting and fishing rods.

Another sweet rod is the Powell light line series made in the early 90's. I have one in an 8'3" 4wt that was given to me as a present from a friend. Every bit as sweet as the Winston and Scott G's.

It's a shame they got away from making rods like these. Even though I own a Sage Z Axis for bigger waters and wind. I still love the med action rods much better.