Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vedavoo Spinner Daypack

Tried the sling pack thing. I like the concept but wasnít for me. I always used a daypack and Iím going back to one. I checked out Vedavoo. I like what I see thus far. Anyone have any experience with the spinner? Any other ones to look at or would I just be better off heading to REI getting a daypack that fits what I need and then grabbing a small chest pack as well? Any input would super helpful.

Scott

Default Re: Vedavoo Spinner Daypack

Last couple of years I have used a backpack/vest thing that holds lunch and water and a Tenkara rod in the pack part. It rides up on the shoulders so unless I weigh it down with a lot of water it is easy on the lower back. Vest part holds more than enough in the way of fly boxes etc. Mine is a Fishpond knockoff, and I'm frankly surprised it has lasted as long as it has.

3. Likes Ard liked this post

I also liked the concept and design of sling packs. Unfortunately they give me a back ache as do many vests.

I’m now using the Umpqua 500 chest pack and the Umpqua Rock Creek chest pack,. The Rock Creek pack is much smaller, but it pairs with a day pack back pack unit so you have the best of both. They aren’t necessarily the answer for everyone, but I find them to be convenient and comfortable.

If I rlly needed more room, I could pair the bigger chest pack with the back pack but that is really more than I want to carry. There are some good buys on these packs right now in the copper color. I believe Umpqua is discontinuing that color and that is why some stores are selling it for less than the gray color.

Don

5. Likes Ard liked this post
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

I love the look of sling packs but had to give mine up as it hurt my shoulder and back. Unless you are looking for waterproof I'd just get a decent day pack that has a good hip belt to carry the weight. I use a Granite Gear day pack if I need to carry a fair amount of gear.

Lately, since I fish mostly small streams I've been using runners hydration packs that are quite small, say 9 litres. Only weighs 715 grams. It allows me to bring a fly box, tippet, small lunch and a water bottle. I don't put in a hydration pack so it gives more more room. My back thanks me.

7. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    I also liked the concept and design of sling packs. Unfortunately they give me a back ache as do many vests.

I’m now using the Umpqua 500 chest pack and the Umpqua Rock Creek chest pack,. The Rock Creek pack is much smaller, but it pairs with a day pack back pack unit so you have the best of both. They aren’t necessarily the answer for everyone, but I find them to be convenient and comfortable.

If I rlly needed more room, I could pair the bigger chest pack with the back pack but that is really more than I want to carry. There are some good buys on these packs right now in the copper color. I believe Umpqua is discontinuing that color and that is why some stores are selling it for less than the gray color.

Don
    I feel like this is the best anwser.

I have the Umpqua 500 chest pack with the smaller backpack. It is a pretty slick set up. If I wanted a bigger pack, they make a back pack that can attach to either of the chest packs, or their vest.

9. Likes Ard liked this post

I bought one of the Spinner Deluxe Daypack and have used it for 6 months. I am a pack rat so I bring lunch, water and a raincoat most days. It has plenty of room for all of this plus my fly boxes and fishing gear. It isnít totally waterproof so I have a small dry bag that I keep my extra flyboxes in. When I get to my spot I leave the pack on shore and use the pouch with a few small flyboxes and itís awesome. The pouch is small so itís perfect to wear for hours. Sometimes I will wear the backpack when moving and fishing and it works great. I honestly donít have any complaints about this setup it works perfect.

I used to use a camelback mule for many years. I like the spinner deluxe because I can put the pack down once at me spot and use the pouch or if just fishing a few hours just the pouch.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Chefchivo thanked for this post

I spoke with Scott over at Vedavoo the other day. I told him most of my fishing is Wade fishing, small rivers, creeks, streams and some mountain lakes. Mostly a few hours to half day jaunts. I thought he would recommend the beast sling but he said the spinner would be a perfect fit. Sounds like a great system.

I do a lot of half day hikes/climbs into canyons in search of wild trout. I've tried vests, slings, and chesties. For me a mid sized chest pack and a day pack are my choice, and have been for a long time. I see no need to spend big bucks on a fly fishing specific pack, unless the pack you want has some special function you really like. My pack only gets opened a couple times a day, when I change clothes or stop to eat or drink, so all I need is one big compartment and a couple small pockets to keep small, easily lost, items.

Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

You can spend a lot of money for a fly fishing specific pack, and unless it's waterproof, you can find a day hiking pack that provides the exact same storage for a lot less.

My old day pack was just an old EMS 2500. I had that thing for 20 plus years before it finally had to go. I’m not opposed to doing that again either. I do really like that they make their products in house. Kind of like my hunting pack. Yeah it cost me but it hauls Elk and deer and makes my life a lot easier. So what are some good chest packs to look at if I just went with a basic daypack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast