Since nobody has asked..

corn fed fins

Reaction score
What did you get for Christmas? Don't be shy. We all wanted that something-something. Did you get it or will you be doing some personal after Christmas shopping?

I'll begin. After all these years I think my family has begun to understand me. Gift cards to outdoor stores.

They are always the right size, model, and color. They don't shrink, fall apart, and I never have to worry who might see it at future yard sale. The dollar amount doesn't mean a thing. The smile comes from knowing that they cared enough to listen and went out of their way to give me something I will enjoy. So, I will be partaking in some through the next year spending.

And a handle of Maker's Mark. Courtesy of my 9 year old nephew. I asked him if he was softening me up for my .22. He smiled and shyly said "Noooooo." Yeah, right. Lmao. (Next year)

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
The thing I really wanted and asked for was nice warm socks. But I also got a bunch of other stuff, including an electric smoker: no more dealing with charcoal.

dakotakid

Reaction score
I got my first glass rod (TFO finesse glass) and the LLBean Pocket Water reel, which pairs up very nicely with that rod.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a great deal on a light-weight reel for themselves or a youngster, you can get the Pocket Water reel for a bargain until Jan. 3. Normally sells for $89, on sale for $70. Until Jan. 3, you can take off another 25%, which brings it down to $52.50. Sweet deal!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I got some heavy winter socks, a shirt jacket for winter fishing, a new beanie, zippo hand warmer, and some nice bourbon that I shared with my son while I was enjoying Christmas at their house in Colorado.

biker1usa

Reaction score
All I wanted was to wake up on the morning of the 25th. Even so, my wife bought me a Method 9 foot 8 weight rod for Christmas with a Sage 2280 reel and RIO line. Might just have to keep her after all.:D

huronfly

Reaction score
Got all materials I should need for the coming year stocked up. Will be tying lots and lots of smelt flies for another trip to the Nipigon River.

flytie09

Reaction score
I really don't ask for much during xmas. I can be a little picky I guess.

I bought a few things for myself including some fly tying material and hooks to get me through the Winter.

Dec and Marty's new spey fly book was thrown in there too....

To counter all of the good stuff..... my fridge is on the fritz, I need a roof repair and new spark plugs in the truck.

'Tis the season to be merry they say.

kevind62

Reaction score
A new tackle bag. Now I can haul a little more stuff with my already massive pile of stuff I haul every trip. :D

Last edited:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I got a bottle of Pendleton Canadian Whisky in my stocking. I thought I'd play it different this year and not ask for any fishing related items because it was getting boring for those buying me gifts. But I did get one of those rotary spool safes so the cats will stop stealing my spools of thread.

I got $300 in gift cards. Now here is where this shines. I wanted a new reel, but couldn't decide which size to get. I thought about a 5/6, 4/5,or a 3/4 because I'm trying to replace my cheaper reels with better ones. I decided on the 5/6 Ross Cimarron II for my 905 Radian, and switch out the Lamson onto my 905 Elkhorn AMP. I got onto a local fly shops web site and saw that they had them for $225. Sweet, then I'd get some little odds and ends along with it. When I got to the shop, this really nice lady met me and asked if I was looking for something in particular. I told her what I wanted and she led me to the reels. In the glass counter, I saw that all the Ross Cimarron II's were on sale for $150. KA-CHING! I ended up with the 5/6 and the 3/4 reel, and only had to pay $33 out of my pocket.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause.

So now I have a new reel for the Radian and a new reel for my 3wt bamboo. Now all I have to do is transfer the fly lines over to the new reels.

But I will say, my son bought me something special. A book written by Billy Graham, Hope for Each Day, Words of Wisdom and Faith.

karstopo

Reaction score
A 9 weight Echo BAG Quickshot from my folks. They basically insist on a Christmas gift list from me so I put the rod on the list.

Have the lighter line weight fiberglass rods covered, this is to be my heavyweight glass rod. Maybe there’s a bull redfish or something in my future.

duker

Reaction score
Got my usual gifts of books, chocolate, and music. Fishing-wise, I got a Plan D tube fly box (see my brief review in the "Anyone Got One of These?" thread in the spey tackle forum) plus some really nice Intruders from my sister-in-law, who has access to an excellent good fly shop in Victoria and hence good tackle-related gifts. Also got some Amazon gift cards, so I can spend the next little while shopping there for the stuff I didn't get from Santa.

Today I ordered a copy of Howard and Hogan's new steelhead fly book, a nice gift to myself.

Scott

JDR

Reaction score
I received a nifty little, wooden fly line winder/dryer from Allen. Just what I need this time of year when I clean, lube, and inspect my lines.

patrick62

Reaction score
Warm socks, my old ones were getting a little mangy.

A book by John Gierach. I also got three boxes of fishing books a few weeks ago (Mom volunteers at a library and handles the incoming donations for the perpetual book sale).

littledavid123

Reaction score
I won't know til I get home from work New Years Day! Being ornery I brought my wife and kids presents with me to work, they have to wait too...lol

Dave

bumble54

Reaction score
Call me a cynical old "so & so" but I don't do Christmas. Although my family are Christian's, Mormon's in fact, and it is important to them, for whatever reason, I am a non believer and I now see the Christmas holiday as just a commercial exercise.
I need no excuse to treat my friends and family at any time of year, I'm always there when they need me and they accept me for who and what I am.
The only Christmas gift I am ever likely to get is a visit from Jacob Marley's ghost. :scared:

Redrock

Reaction score
As my wife puts it, “your hobbies are expensive and you are picky” So, I asked for practical stuff like smart wool socks. It was a steady sock parade all morning. I also received Simms nippers and a new fly box.

I’ve reached the age where I certainly don’t need anything else cluttering up my fishing vest, but the nippers may make the cut. Nice little tool.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I got a Simms fanny pack which they call a hip pack, waterproof, 11 L. Dry Creek Z Hip Pack | Simms Fishing Products

It will replace a Patatgonia 20L Stormfront waterproof sling pack i used about two years; never quite adapted to the "sling" mechanics.

The new Simms bag will hold leaders, tippet, a few indicators/split shot, several fly boxes, a snack, and then some. When i need clothing i can probably stuff a light weight rain jacket in there, or carry a lightweight backpack. One of the odd disadvantages of this bag and most other true waterproof bags is the absence of little pockets attached to the inside of the bag; i have found i can tolerate that feature by keeping like stuff in separate quart or gallon plastic bags, in effect supplying my own pockets or dividers.

i also just received in the mail a Fenwick FF 84 vintage fiberglass rod (the telltale letter in the serial no. is worn off, but mfd appr 1963-71) i bought from a member on another forum after simply announcing my interest in buying one. I have given it to a friend for Xmas, along with a Pflueger Medalist 1494DA (which i will get refurbished next month) which i picked up on Ebay. I acquired a FF79 and similar Medalist reel this summer for my self and have enjoyed chasing after additional Fenwick glass rods and Medalists on the internet -- mostly unsuccessfully i might add. I used teh FF79 quite a bit this summer for dry fly fishing while wading and fishing to fish closeby--less successful so far with the soft rod with repeated longer casts in a drift boat or to distant fish on a lake. It's a learning experience.